New Polaris vs LH J EWR to FRA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Many thanks to all....Polaris it is.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Do people understand UA pricing on that route by the way? LH often offers P fares at less than half the cost than UA. Eg round trip June 23 - 27
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Do people understand UA pricing on that route by the way? LH often offers P fares at less than half the cost than UA. Eg round trip June 23 - 27
Well, they do have possibly the least competitive J product in the TATL market.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Hard products: UA wins with Polaris seats and you get a great night of sleep on the red eye flight. Eat at Polaris lounge and forget the cafeteria food during the flight. It is not worth it to stay awake for.

Soft Products: Don’t even bother choosing UA if you are paying J. It has been embarrassingly bad but that is just my personal opinion. For a daytime flight and if not planning to sleep, I’d pick LH for food, wine and services.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Soft Products: Don’t even bother choosing UA if you are paying J. It has been embarrassingly bad but that is just my personal opinion. For a daytime flight and if not planning to sleep, I’d pick LH for food, wine and services.
That's great advice from someone who travels a lot. I heartily second it. I've had some absolutely superb wines on LH. I haven't had a good one on United since about 1998.

I have never once had an LH flight attendant hand me a tray -- or gesture for me to hand it to them when they're clearing. I think they're actually trained to serve you. United FAs, by contrast, seem to have a very hard time actually putting things on your tray, preferring the lazy route of simply holding it above your head and expecting you to reach up like a supplicant and take it out of their hands. Just one example of how United doesn't have the first clue about service.
FTLexMUC likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
While the onboard service is excellent on LH, I have not always been impressed with their food, especially the "lunch" services on westbound TATL like FRA-SFO. Nothing horrifying, but many of my experiences have been mediocre.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by findark
While the onboard service is excellent on LH, I have not always been impressed with their food, especially the "lunch" services on westbound TATL like FRA-SFO. Nothing horrifying, but many of my experiences have been mediocre.
huh ... that is an opinion not commonly shared.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
I'll second the mediocre sentiment, while noting that i've had plenty of mediocre UA meals as well. While LH F food is simply a cut above, I've always thought there wasn;'t much difference between LH and UA business food. I've often thought the "LH has better food" mantra was a combination of the novelty of German food (or the novelty of any different airline's catering if you are used to flying UA) and the general sentiment that foreign carriers are always and in every respect better than domestic carriers. For my palate, not always the case with food.

Back on topic, one more vote for dinner in polaris lounge and sleep as soon as wheels are up.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
I believe their fare tables are harmonized on this JV route, so UA and LH have agreed on the price, it's not a UA unilateral decision.

The price difference comes from available inventory. The UA flight only has D available while the LH flight is in P.

As recently discussed on another thread for this exact route, RM releases fewer discount seats / those seats get booked more quickly because the UA flight is late enough one can leave work at 5pm and make the flight, it can catch some additional connections from other cities, and/or it arrives in FRA at a more convenient hour.
FTLexMUC likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by boolean64
I'll second the mediocre sentiment, while noting that i've had plenty of mediocre UA meals as well. While LH F food is simply a cut above, I've always thought there wasn;'t much difference between LH and UA business food. I've often thought the "LH has better food" mantra was a combination of the novelty of German food (or the novelty of any different airline's catering if you are used to flying UA) and the general sentiment that foreign carriers are always and in every respect better than domestic carriers. For my palate, not always the case with food.
Just did a FRA-US flight in J and the Sauerbraten had poor flavor and texture and was oversauced, the spaetzel tasteless, and the cabbage boiled down to soggy tendrils. Certainly nothing special there. You would think they could do Sauerbraten well.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
IMO you are being kind.

Originally Posted by cfischer
You must never have been offered the pigeon soufflé entree.

SL
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Well, they do have possibly the least competitive J product in the TATL market.
Depends on whether you are travelling alone or as a couple.

There's nothing wrong with LH J when travelling with a companion, as the soft product is definitely better than UA. And, you can use the Polaris lounge, too.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by worldclubber
There's nothing wrong with LH J when travelling with a companion, as the soft product is definitely better than UA.
Even as a couple, the LH seat is inferior, though I agree LH has better service (and cleaner aircraft).

Originally Posted by worldclubber
And, you can use the Polaris lounge, too.
Only at the departure point, not arrival and not at connecting points. If flying UA, you get expanded access.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Even as a couple, the LH seat is inferior, though I agree LH has better service (and cleaner aircraft).

Only at the departure point, not arrival and not at connecting points. If flying UA, you get expanded access.
Concerning the seat: preferences differ and you consider it inferior, but that's not a general truth; I do not mind the LH J seat when travelling with a companion.

You are, of course, right about the expanded access to the Polaris lounges, but for EWR to FRA (as per thread title) the difference will be limited to the arrival at EWR, if the return is on UA J. And, I don't think many people use the lounge after an international arrival instead of going home, to the office, to the hotel etc., but depending on the specific situation, access on arrival may be a plus.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:56 pm

Flying solo these days, my first choice would be Polaris. I try to avoid J cabins where all seats do not have direct aisle access. This, of course, is not always possible, but it is an achievable goal nonetheless. Having flown innumerable upper deck J cabins on 747 400-800's I am not as awestruck by their novelty as most. I actually prefer the A380's. As much as I enjoy LH's more sophisticated catering, their hard product's seat configuration, at least for a solo traveller. leave me underwhelmed. My favourite solo pax seat on a *A carrier is LX's throne seat, followed by OS's odd numbered window seats.
AceReport likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.