Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flagged for “Lounge Hopping”? UA is monitoring? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagged for “Lounge Hopping”? UA is monitoring? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
When UA launched the original Polaris lounge at ORD, I remember one of the press members at the media event asked about people issuing tickets and going to the lounge, then refunding them. The US media rep said cryptically that they had precautions in place. Not sure that this would qualify as a precaution, but perhaps it notes the record when you use the BP at a lounge now, so they'd see it if you tried to cancel your check-in and refund the ticket?

it wouldn't make a difference in this case if you used multiple lounges though - so I'm not sure this is any explanation as to "why."
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Same exact thing happened to me at SFO PL. They didn't want to accept the logic that I was returning from an international flight and put my passport away. They finally relented when they realized I wasn't budging. Yes, I know it would have been easier to fish for my passport, but then it became the principle of it.
And perhaps this is why the dragons at times seem so aggravated. Given the variety of different state DL formats, it is probably a lot easier for them to review a passport whose format is internationally standardized. Further, the likelihood that someone has packed their passport into their re-checked baggage is between slim and none -- and altogether an unwise action. Why not make life a bit easier for these guys? It doesn't take a lot of effort.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
He said he "was"at LAX. And in the past LAX had more than one lounge. The new Polaris lounge was a "regular" lounge back then.
That was only the case quite some time ago! Two years or more, now, I think.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:29 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by seenitall
And perhaps this is why the dragons at times seem so aggravated. Given the variety of different state DL formats, it is probably a lot easier for them to review a passport whose format is internationally standardized. Further, the likelihood that someone has packed their passport into their re-checked baggage is between slim and none -- and altogether an unwise action. Why not make life a bit easier for these guys? It doesn't take a lot of effort.
I never said my passport was repacked in my checked baggage. I had no checked baggage.
Why shouldn't the agents make life easier for the customer? It doesn't take a lot of effort.
If they are aggravated, they only have themselves to blame.
But that's United for you. Customers can certainly be the enemy at UA.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I have been one lucky son-of-a-gun in my travels. I'm 1K, but I undoubtedly don't travel as much as many of you, and I visit one or more UCs on most of my trips.

The folks at the UCs are exactly where I go to for help at the airport, and they have always figured out a way to do what I needed, and often gone above and beyond what was typical. I've never had difficulty entering or leaving a club, even when traveling with my wife and three kids.

I have managed to do 25+ years without suffering "dragons" in a lounge. To paraphrase an old saying, about meeting a dragon in the morning, well, you met a dragon. Meet a dragon in the morning, noon, and night, well, maybe you are the dragon.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Has anyone challenged this policy and asked to see where its documented?

Here is what I just pulled off the United Website.

"A boarding pass for travel in United Polaris business class
Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing."

The footnotes are #1, #2, #3 which are:
  1. United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, Săo Paulo and Santiago. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.
  2. Access is not allowed for customers with discounted industry, airline or staff travel tickets, unless specifically stated.
  3. Re-entry to the airport after clearing customs is not permitted without further eligible onward travel. Access upon arrival is available to customers who have already made a domestic connection.
#1 and #2 are general and #3 is specific to holding a United Polaris Business Class Ticket.

Last edited by drowelf; Feb 27, 2019 at 12:14 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by gengar
I've had the DEN dragons mouth off when they didn't hear me respond to their greeting, been denied access as OZ *G, had one attempt to deny my guest because he wasn't on the same flight, had one berate me when I left my BP behind when briefly leaving to take a walk (and I had told her that on the way out, and she still hassled me on return), and that's just off the top of my head. We can go on and on about sample sizes but I've never gotten as appalling treatment anywhere else as I have by the DEN UCs. It's bad enough that I refuse to connect through DEN. Even if they have given me $100 every time they improperly refuse me entry to the UC.

In any case, just search the forums... it's clear I'm just one of many FT'ers who have had trouble at the DEN UC dragons. That's why, as I mentioned, I'm not at all surprised this happened at DEN.
I understand why this is happening, especially at DEN. It seems about one out of every three of four people think they can be admitted when they can't. As for me, they've never been anything but nice when I scanned myself in at the DEN UC entrance desks.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Two weeks ago flying Polaris SFO to HKG, I had walked to the gate to deal with my companion having lost her seat in an oversold J cabin. After getting confirmation they would bump someone and my companion would have a seat in J I returned to the Polaris lounge and scanned my boarding pass. After the dragon gave me a very odd look, and let me pass, I looked down and realized I had scanned my girlfriend's BP.

It does beg the question though, especially in today's "gender neutral" era, could they even stop someone from trying to enter with a first name (potentially) of another gender?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:43 pm

Was just asked—in a joking way—if I was lounge hopping. This was at the temporary club in EWR. Must be an alert that automatically pops up on the screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.