Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: SFO Severe Weather Feb 25-26, 2019

Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist

I have to imagine they will soon extend this to include the 26th. Weather Service is calling for more than an inch of rain each tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night, which is just nuts for SFO. Has this winter been unusually stormy at SFO or is it just me?

Flight changes:The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before March 1, 2019, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's been rather wetter than "normal" although I think a lot of the feeling is biased by a decade of drought and heat. Winter rains are normal in the Bay
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's been a wet year but not historically abnormal. These storms are a bit unusual though because they've consistently mixed cold air from the Gulf of Alaska with subtropical moisture (creating the so-called "atmospheric river"). Historically, we get one or the other.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
It's been rather wetter than "normal" although I think a lot of the feeling is biased by a decade of drought and heat. Winter rains are normal in the Bay
Yes, most Northern Calif is is sitting at 100-120% of "normal" but 2x of last year (and many recent years). This is the second normal year out of the last 5-6 years.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I get a text on the waiver Sunday night - rebooked Monday YYC-SFO-HNL to same flights Tuesday with no issues and preserved upgrade on the HNL leg. Today's YYC-SFO at 1pm is already showing a 3 hour delay.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I get a text on the waiver Sunday night - rebooked Monday YYC-SFO-HNL to same flights Tuesday with no issues and preserved upgrade on the HNL leg. ...
Just a heads up but as mentioned earlier, Tuesday 26th isn't looking much better
Weather.com SFO

Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Waiver just now updated to include the 26th. Good luck everybody .
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any chance UA1557 (ogg-sfo redeye) tonight will be canceled? Rebooking isn't really a viable option unless absolutely necessary. I'm going to try to fly it since I want to go to work tomorrow.

If they do cancel, will UA provide a hotel? I understand that they are not required to, but I'm wondering if they usually do (my experience with UA is very limited)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Any chance UA1557 (ogg-sfo redeye) tonight will be canceled?
Unlikely to cancel, likely to be delayed, possibly several hours. As a rule, the smallest planes get cancelled, the big planes take delays.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Any chance UA1557 (ogg-sfo redeye) tonight will be canceled? Rebooking isn't really a viable option unless absolutely necessary. I'm going to try to fly it since I want to go to work tomorrow.

If they do cancel, will UA provide a hotel? I understand that they are not required to, but I'm wondering if they usually do (my experience with UA is very limited)
I wouldn't count on a hotel unless you are 1K

The Hawaii-Mainland flights do not often cancel - Flight 1580 is fairly light, I could see one of the two red-eyes as a potential cancel but my guess is both go or at least one goes and transfer the passenger to the other one.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:01 pm

For weather issues, the airline is off the hook -- but may provide lodging for GS/1Ks and also for *G / premium cabin passengers on international itin -- however, in a massive weather event the availability of lodging can quickly be an issue.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Cancel is very unlikely. It will not be delayed out of OGG because the 0515 arrival is not a busy time at SFO, however you may get delayed by the inbound frame.

The frame is currently at DEN, sked DEN-SFO-OGG with a wheels up time at DEN of 16:07 local, which puts it approx 2h00 late into SFO and probably about 1h00 late going out to OGG. I would anticipate that UA1557 will be approx 1 hour delayed, although frame swaps could of course change this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Cancel is very unlikely. It will not be delayed out of OGG because the 0515 arrival is not a busy time at SFO, however you may get delayed by the inbound frame.

The frame is currently at DEN, sked DEN-SFO-OGG with a wheels up time at DEN of 16:07 local, which puts it approx 2h00 late into SFO and probably about 1h00 late going out to OGG. I would anticipate that UA1557 will be approx 1 hour delayed, although frame swaps could of course change this.
Yeah, I traced the plane back in the app and I see the scheduled delay out of Denver. Honestly a 1-2 hr delay would be great (I'll sleep better at that time).

I'm really hoping they they don't do an equipment swap because this is a 752 with lie-flats (that's why I booked it) and I'm not going to get much sleep if it gets swapped to one with recliners.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Scheduled to fly LAX-SFO this evening . . . just bought a full fare ticket on WN into OAK, as I'd really like to get home tonight
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I love weather waivers when I need them Nice and easy re-booking w/o having to 'hope for' SDC and a C seat available

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.