Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United "buy miles" website personal information disclosure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Just in case you needed another reason not to leave your boarding pass in the back of your seat...

United's "buy miles" websites, which is actually run by Points.com allows you to take a Mileage Plus number and a surname (both in the barcode on a boarding pass, plus obviously in countless other places) and use them to obtain multiple personal details including home address, phone number, email address, miles balance, whether you have a co-branded credit card, and more...

https://blog.docbert.org/united-airl...on-disclosure/

United was notified of this over 18 months ago, at which point they claimed they did not consider it a security issue - and it's still not fixed...

(As per FT rule 7, this is my blog - in case my username didn't give that away...)
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by docbert
Just in case you needed another reason not to leave your boarding pass in the back of your seat...

United's "buy miles" websites, which is actually run by Points.com allows you to take a Mileage Plus number and a surname (both in the barcode on a boarding pass, plus obviously in countless other places) and use them to obtain multiple personal details including home address, phone number, email address, miles balance, whether you have a co-branded credit card, and more...
Well you can already get most of that info from the BP (name, phone, email, status). And you could always google for their address. The fact is, none of this would be a problem if people weren't so careless with their personal information.

Would you blame a bank if someone left their username and password on a bus and a stranger got into their account?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert

https://blog.docbert.org/united-airl...on-disclosure/

United was notified of this over 18 months ago, at which point they claimed they did not consider it a security issue - and it's still not fixed...

(As per FT rule 7, this is my blog - in case my username didn't give that away...)
Interestingly, I notice it also passes the name / email / MP info. of other travellers saved to my profile. No idea why that would be needed for whatever they're doing.

I don't have expertise in computer security, so I can't comment on whether it's a large risk exposure, but it certainly seems like they're not going by a standard of minimum necessary information.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well after 19 months of no action, within a day of me making this issue public United has fixed it - buymiles.mileageplus.com now uses MP number + password to login, rather than MP number + surname as it did previously.

Great to see it's fixed - It's just a pity that it took so long and required public disclose before they though it worthy of fixing.
onthesam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.