Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UC Breakfast Alcohol EWR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

UC Breakfast Alcohol EWR

Hello, leaving on an 830am flight from EWR terminal a. Thinking of getting to United club around 6. Will there be a bartender and free alcoholic drinks?
onthesam likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by Thejrock87
Hello, leaving on an 830am flight from EWR terminal a. Thinking of getting to United club around 6. Will there be a bartender and free alcoholic drinks?
I like the way you travel.......
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:17 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Terminal A the bar can open at 7am. As it is in the town of Elizabeth, NJ not Newark.

Terminal C is in Newark, NJ so 9am.

Different towns different liquor laws.

Welcome to NJ.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Thejrock87
Well you'll have to wait for someone with firsthand experience to answer. I looked it up and the answer isn't simple, because Terminal A is in a different city (Elizabeth) than the rest of the airport, which is in Newark. As far as I can tell, the official liquor laws list a 9AM start time for serving drinks, however I found reference to a June 2017 proposal to extend the hours to 6AM for the airport, but I can't figure out if it ever passed. I always get a drink when I go to a United Club, but I usually fly out of EWR on a Friday afternoon.
Edit: I see someone beat me to the punch above, so no Bloody Mary for you at 6AM! Too bad!
BTW, welcome to Flyertalk! ^
narvik likes this.

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Feb 18, 2019 at 5:23 pm Reason: add welcome and update
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I am going back to the 90's and early 2000s , the President's Club back then serviced early AM cocktails. Last week at LAX it was full bar at 730am. I realize that's a different state, of course.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin

Welcome to NJ.
At least they now relaxed the Sunday pours from noon to 10am!

(I spoke to a bartender at the old UC (now Polaris location) and he reckoned they relaxed other restrictions too, and could open much earlier if they so choose....not sure if true)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Terminal A the bar can open at 7am. As it is in the town of Elizabeth, NJ not Newark.

Welcome to NJ.
Curious, do these times apply to PDB served on board an aircraft parked at the gate?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:40 am

My previous post's information provided by the bartender coincides and conforms with this article posted June 29, 2017:
https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...k_airport.html

"You could soon start drinking at dawn at Newark Airport

The hours that alcohol can be served are set by municipal ordinance in New Jersey, and Newark Liberty airport is bound by the liquor laws of the city of Newark.
That means the sale of liquor in bars and restaurants at EWR is allowed from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Monday through Wednesday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, and from noon to 2:00 a.m. on Sundays.
Under the legislation that was passed by an Assembly committee last week and is also pending in the Senate, passengers will be able to get a drink from 6 a.m. to 3 a.m."

However, I can't actually see if this was passed or not. My guess is yes (at least in a similar, if not identical form) as EWR UC will serve alcohol prior to noon on Sundays now.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by TomMM
Curious, do these times apply to PDB served on board an aircraft parked at the gate?
No. PDBs are not being served under a NJ Liquor holders permit.
No time restrictions for on-board alcohol service that I am aware of...
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:22 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
Not to sound like a total booze hound,but no.

I have had a PDB with booze in it on a 5AM departure. It was roughly 4:35AM when I was served.
nomad420 and Dublin_rfk like this.

Last edited by Long Train Runnin; Feb 19, 2019 at 6:28 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:25 am

Welcome to NJ.
To qualify and summarize:
It appears that this holds true for Elizabeth, NJ and Newark, NJ at large, but has [may have?] been modified for EWR specifically (see previous posts).
Also to note is that for rest of Newark, NJ (but not EWR) Sunday booze starts at noon.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:53 am

Two weeks ago, I was having mimosas and screwdrivers in the C concourse before 7am at the bar near my gate. It was a Wednesday.

I am not sure if the UC is any different
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by narvik
My previous post's information provided by the bartender coincides and conforms with this article posted June 29, 2017:
https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...k_airport.html

"You could soon start drinking at dawn at Newark Airport

The hours that alcohol can be served are set by municipal ordinance in New Jersey, and Newark Liberty airport is bound by the liquor laws of the city of Newark.
That means the sale of liquor in bars and restaurants at EWR is allowed from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Monday through Wednesday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, and from noon to 2:00 a.m. on Sundays.
Under the legislation that was passed by an Assembly committee last week and is also pending in the Senate, passengers will be able to get a drink from 6 a.m. to 3 a.m."

However, I can't actually see if this was passed or not. My guess is yes (at least in a similar, if not identical form) as EWR UC will serve alcohol prior to noon on Sundays now.
The law was passed, so those are the new hours for alcohol service at EWR UC. ^
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The EWR Polaris Lounge was serving people mimosas a 6 AM last week ...
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u
The EWR Polaris Lounge was serving people mimosas a 6 AM last week ...
The most positive post I read on FT all day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.