Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bizarre denied boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hooterbif
United customer care just deposited $250 in vouchers per passenger, in response to my brief complaint saying I missed my flight because agent wouldn't check me in. I am out some serious cash! I think that I will send a more thorough letter with receipts.
Nothing wrong with trying but United typically doesn't compensate for losses - just inconvenience - and that amount seems very much on the high side.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Nothing wrong with trying but United typically doesn't compensate for losses - just inconvenience - and that amount seems very much on the high side.
While that is their general policy, limits on consequential damages often disappear if they are due to negligence. UA won't compensate you for the cost of the Super Bowl ticket that you couldn't use because of an overbooking or a mechanical delay. But if their employee -- or, in this case, their agent -- is negligent, actively preventing you from boarding the flight, UA may (a) be more willing to pay damages in general, and (b) have less protection in court, should it come to that.

OP: If your efforts to reach an amicable understanding with UA aren't satisfactory, I recommend that you stop posting any further details to FlyerTalk and consult an attorney. It sounds like there may have been a number of passengers affected, so you may look for someone with experience in federal class-action cases. (Federal, because the Airline Deregulation Act essentially exempts airlines from liability under state consumer protection laws).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
While that is their general policy, limits on consequential damages often disappear if they are due to negligence. UA won't compensate you for the cost of the Super Bowl ticket that you couldn't use because of an overbooking or a mechanical delay. But if their employee -- or, in this case, their agent -- is negligent, actively preventing you from boarding the flight, UA may (a) be more willing to pay damages in general, and (b) have less protection in court, should it come to that.

OP: If your efforts to reach an amicable understanding with UA aren't satisfactory, I recommend that you stop posting any further details to FlyerTalk and consult an attorney. It sounds like there may have been a number of passengers affected, so you may look for someone with experience in federal class-action cases. (Federal, because the Airline Deregulation Act essentially exempts airlines from liability under state consumer protection laws).
My brother is an attorney who did a lot of "travel law" (now retired so not pushing his practice). Often these cases are settled by the attorney merely sending a letter outlining what happened and asking for appropriate compensation for loses.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Thank you everybody for your advice.

Do you think that I should attempt to submit the full story as an add-on to the thread that I already generated with United when I wrote a few sentences about what happened and they gave me $250 vouchers? Or, should I start a whole new Customer Care ticket? Or, should I write a formal letter (PDF) and email it to customer relations?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:21 pm

In my experience where I was emailed ETCs that were unacceptable to me I responded to the email saying so.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by nomad420
My brother is an attorney who did a lot of "travel law" (now retired so not pushing his practice). Often these cases are settled by the attorney merely sending a letter outlining what happened and asking for appropriate compensation for loses.
One issue here is that OP never presented an argument that the agent's antics caused him to not get the check-in window on time. And if you remove that, then the what exactly did UA do wrong?

​​​​
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
One issue here is that OP never presented an argument that the agent's antics caused him to not get the check-in window on time. And if you remove that, then the what exactly did UA do wrong?
​​​​
Huh? That was in the very first post. OP needed the agent to complete the youngest daughter's check-in and was waiting by a blinking kiosk for 45 minutes. That's in addition to whatever time was spent in line to get to the kiosk in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.