Landing while sleeping?

Old Feb 22, 19, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JohnneeO View Post
I have flown in the past seated in the back row of economy. If I was the first one to arrive in my row, I would recline all of the seats on my side of the plane the short distance so they were all touching the back wall. This usually lead to my seat being fully reclined for the flight, including takeoff and landing. The FA's would not notice b/c they are usually focused on looking for seats that are out of alignment to see if any are reclined.
Odd, Continental/United FA's on my flights would immediately spot this circumvention of their rules. It appeared to be almost like a sport to them to catch this specificality.
Old Feb 22, 19, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post
Not certain what you're trying to say here. There are some crashes that are simply not survivable regardless of the seat or restraints. To state that a crash "shouldn't have happened in the first place" doesn't change the survivability implications of seat restraints.
Yes it does. One designs for things possible and likely, anything can happen but does not mean designers plan for it.
Which vehicle is designed for getting hit by a train from the side? None. It actually seems to happen a bit.
What about a commercial airliner for a missile attack?
And the German pilot who crashed the plane into a mountain on purpose? Can you plan for that? Did the people who thought it smart to make a cockpit door unopenablr from outside think about that? Oh, they should have planned ...
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Yes it does. One designs for things possible and likely, anything can happen but does not mean designers plan for it.
Which vehicle is designed for getting hit by a train from the side? None. It actually seems to happen a bit.
What about a commercial airliner for a missile attack?
And the German pilot who crashed the plane into a mountain on purpose? Can you plan for that? Did the people who thought it smart to make a cockpit door unopenablr from outside think about that? Oh, they should have planned ...
Your specific quote was:

For a wall, well, that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Is it your contention that all aircraft crashes into walls are 100% fatal?
Old Feb 22, 19, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post
Is it your contention that all aircraft crashes into walls are 100% fatal?
I noticed you ignored everything else. But no, crashing into a wall isn't 100% fatal
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
But no, crashing into a wall isn't 100% fatal
Agreed. So whether it "shouldn't have happened in the first place" isn't relevant to the discussion of survivability of aircraft crashes into walls. Got it...

I noticed you ignored everything else.
I did mention upthread that "There are some crashes that are simply not survivable regardless of the seat or restraints." Missile attacks and suicidal crashes into mountainsides generally fall into this category. Crashing into walls does not.

BTW, side impacts into automobiles by trains are occasionally survivable. Much of that survivability depends on the side impact protection systems installed in most vehicles.