Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Landing while sleeping?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
I have flown in the past seated in the back row of economy. If I was the first one to arrive in my row, I would recline all of the seats on my side of the plane the short distance so they were all touching the back wall. This usually lead to my seat being fully reclined for the flight, including takeoff and landing. The FA's would not notice b/c they are usually focused on looking for seats that are out of alignment to see if any are reclined.
Odd, Continental/United FA's on my flights would immediately spot this circumvention of their rules. It appeared to be almost like a sport to them to catch this specificality.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Not certain what you're trying to say here. There are some crashes that are simply not survivable regardless of the seat or restraints. To state that a crash "shouldn't have happened in the first place" doesn't change the survivability implications of seat restraints.
Yes it does. One designs for things possible and likely, anything can happen but does not mean designers plan for it.
Which vehicle is designed for getting hit by a train from the side? None. It actually seems to happen a bit.
What about a commercial airliner for a missile attack?
And the German pilot who crashed the plane into a mountain on purpose? Can you plan for that? Did the people who thought it smart to make a cockpit door unopenablr from outside think about that? Oh, they should have planned ...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yes it does. One designs for things possible and likely, anything can happen but does not mean designers plan for it.
Which vehicle is designed for getting hit by a train from the side? None. It actually seems to happen a bit.
What about a commercial airliner for a missile attack?
And the German pilot who crashed the plane into a mountain on purpose? Can you plan for that? Did the people who thought it smart to make a cockpit door unopenablr from outside think about that? Oh, they should have planned ...
Your specific quote was:

For a wall, well, that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Is it your contention that all aircraft crashes into walls are 100% fatal?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Is it your contention that all aircraft crashes into walls are 100% fatal?
I noticed you ignored everything else. But no, crashing into a wall isn't 100% fatal
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
But no, crashing into a wall isn't 100% fatal
Agreed. So whether it "shouldn't have happened in the first place" isn't relevant to the discussion of survivability of aircraft crashes into walls. Got it...

I noticed you ignored everything else.
I did mention upthread that "There are some crashes that are simply not survivable regardless of the seat or restraints." Missile attacks and suicidal crashes into mountainsides generally fall into this category. Crashing into walls does not.

BTW, side impacts into automobiles by trains are occasionally survivable. Much of that survivability depends on the side impact protection systems installed in most vehicles.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are there any airlines that allow being fully reclined in business class during takeoff/landing? Wondering if Finnair's new business seat that doesn't recline allows you to be lying down?
Old Sep 14, 2023, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Are there any airlines that allow being fully reclined in business class during takeoff/landing? Wondering if Finnair's new business seat that doesn't recline allows you to be lying down?
I was on a MU flight a few years back. This dude on the other side (1A) was sleeping the entire flight in a lie flat position. One flight attendant tried to alert him and get him to move to the upright position, but another FA pulled her away. I am guessing he is a spoiled little brat son of some VIP either with the airline or govt (e.g. CCP).

I don't think it is allowed officially with any airlines for safety reasons, but I have definitely see people move them back to a more reclined position after FAs have made their rounds.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by EverywhereHome
I had an unexpected experience recently. I was on a UA transcon in business (777-200 w/ the 2-2 setup). I was exhausted from a long international trip. I put the seat flat and fell asleep about halfway through the flight. I woke up, surprisingly, when the plane hit the ground.

Does anyone know if it is policy that lie-flat seats can stay flat during landing? If so, why? I thought the idea was that landing is risky and you want to have everyone ready to brace.

Sincerely,
​​​
A recent AA -> UA convert
Some FAs aren't very observant.
The guy next to me in 17B on a HD777 was sitting directly in front of an FA. Just after wheels up, I saw him reaching behind to find his seat belt. I looked over at the FA expecting perhaps some embarrassment on her face for missing something right in front of her but she just rolled her eyes.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
If you ever have the dubious honor of being the passenger on an air ambulance, there is a high probability that you will be fully reclined throughout the flight.

IFE is watching the monitor trace your heartbeat and other vital signs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.