Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Options to change return of a super-cheap BE Int'l fare, after flying outbound leg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options to change return of a super-cheap BE Int'l fare, after flying outbound leg?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:17 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Breakage (people not flying the return or even the entire trip) is a benefit to the airline and part of the reason for the low price on non-changeable tickets. Penalizing non-flying on such a ticket seems crazy except in the rare situation where the customer is obviously gaming the fare rules in a way that costs the airline money.

I doubt a schedule change or even an outright cancellation (it's an LH flight) would earn me a refund on a BE fare. I'm a little sad that we can't brag about flying RT for $279, but the days of getting a J seat for reasonable FF miles are gradually ending.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
I doubt a schedule change or even an outright cancellation (it's an LH flight) would earn me a refund on a BE fare. I'm a little sad that we can't brag about flying RT for $279, but the days of getting a J seat for reasonable FF miles are gradually ending.
You're right -- a cancellation would earn €600 plus a refund. (EC.261 would apply because the flight is operated by LH).

UA's schedule change policy is relatively generous. A schedule change by 2+ hours -- which, in practice, includes a 2+ hour delay -- is enough to trigger a refund if the passenger indicates that the new time is no longer feasible and UA cannot offer acceptable alternative transportation. (Some people have reported success for refunds with < 2 hour delays, but 2 hours is what's in the policy).
nsx likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:23 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I don't see this as a clear case of throwaway ticketing, assuming that when this BE fare was ticketed, the traveler intended in good faith to fly it as written.

Aren't throwaway tickets intended to evade hidden city ticketing rules and notable differentials between OWs and RTs bought with a likely throwaway intent at the time of original ticketing? As I read the OP's recent post, he implies that the traveler had the intent to fly BE R.T. as ticketed; but is looking to fly a higher class after flying the outbound.

Except perhaps for BE tickets, isn't there a waiver of the change fee if a traveler buys up to a higher fare class? Then the Q. becomes whether the issue of a M+ award ticket would be considered a higher class, coupled here with the obvious aim of UA (except as to GS) to hold customers to the strict rules of BE as to change fees.
drewguy and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I doubt a schedule change or even an outright cancellation (it's an LH flight) would earn me a refund on a BE fare.
An outright cancellation by the carrier or a delay of over 5 hours would get you, at minimum, EUR 600 in EU261 compensation plus a refund, assuming you met the check-in deadline etc.
nsx likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
It IS throw-away ticketing. As a travel agent, I had a similar situation happen with a client flying BA.

Client bought a non-changeable roundtrip ticket A-B-A within Europe on BA. Once they got to B, their business plans changed and they needed to travel onward. They abandoned the return and bought an onward ticket (also on BA). BA did an audit and hit me with an $600 debit memo for the cost difference between the one-way that the client flew and the roundtrip that he paid for (and denied the debit memo appeal).

Is it fair? Not really (IMO). But it is throw-away ticketing.

Edited to add: In most cases, such an issue would never catch someone's attention as long as it is a one-off, but BA was on a campaign to combat intentional throw-away ticketing and was hitting agencies on every single throw-away ticket, even when there was a reasonable explanation.

Last edited by Sykes; Feb 7, 2019 at 11:06 am
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Yeah, I'm not sure if UA, even if they noticed, would pursue action if at all - especially if the award ticket was booked after the BE ticket, and especially if after the outbound leg was flown.

I'd think that's a pretty clear indication that the original intent was not to drop the return.

Admittedly I haven't done this with UA, but there's been occasions where I was flying bargain-basement Y fares on JL and NH, and found F availability on the return leg (on the same flight that I was originally booked on). I called it in both times, and they were more than happy to cancel the return and didn't bat an eye at the apparent "throwaway" ticketing.

Now knowing UA, I'm not sure if they'll go so far as to cancel a BE ticket for you, but I doubt they'd pursue any action.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
She's throwing away half of a $279 RT TATL ticket, in circumstances where the OW would have cost over $3000. This is exactly what the throw-away ticketing rules intend to prohibit..
If the ticket had flexibility on a RT, then the issue wouldn't arise. UA has gotten themselves into it a bit by having a ticket with zero flexibility - indeed, BE fares are literally "throw away" tickets because if you don't use them they have zero value. Given that, anyone who ultimately has a need to change their ticket would arguably be violating the CoC, even someone who got a flat tire on the way to the airport or took desperately ill a few hours before the flight, but then ultimately returned to their point of origin. That can't be right.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Sykes
It IS throw-away ticketing. As a travel agent, I had a similar situation happen with a client flying BA.

Client bought a non-changeable roundtrip ticket A-B-A within Europe on BA. Once they got to B, their business plans changed and they needed to travel onward. They abandoned the return and bought an onward ticket (also on BA). BA did an audit and hit me with an $600 debit memo for the cost difference between the one-way that the client flew and the roundtrip that he paid for (and denied the debit memo appeal).

Is it fair? Not really (IMO). But it is throw-away ticketing.

Edited to add: In most cases, such an issue would never catch someone's attention as long as it is a one-off, but BA was on a campaign to combat intentional throw-away ticketing and was hitting agencies on every single throw-away ticket, even when there was a reasonable explanation.
I wonder if they would treat an individual purchaser the same (I assume you're a travel agent/arranger).
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's all a great theoretical argument, but in practice it will not come to UA's attention and they will do nothing about it. I wouldn't even worry about having two tickets at the same time (impossible to fly cancellations) as UA's software won't sync with LH's.

The only recommendation is: don't call UA and bring it to their attention.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by drewguy
I wonder if they would treat an individual purchaser the same (I assume you're a travel agent/arranger).
They wouldn't unless it was a significant and repeating problem with a single individual, as others have mentioned. I was just mentioning it because it substantiates the claim that this is throw-away ticketing, even if airlines don't usually take any action to enforce the terms for end travelers..
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
We don't mid throwing away half a $279 ticket, but I wonder if United would throw us a bone for canceling rather than no-showing. That way they'd have one more seat to sell. I'm thinking maybe a waived change fee on the J ticket if a better J option becomes available?
No, they won’t. What is the incentive for them to do something after buying an ultra cheap (below cost, almost certainly) ticket that allows no changes, that you apparently want to change.

If the return isn’t being flown, it is what it is. If UA doesn’t come after you for the one way fare (probably unlikely for then to do so if it isn’t a habit), then I’d say they’ve already given you a huge break.

UA doesn't care if you cancel. If you don't check-in, your reservation will be cancelled regardless. You get no props for cancelling in advance. UA assumes some percentage of pax won't show up. That's how flights get oversold, when they estimate wrong.
this. They’re already overbooking if there is demand, based on whatever algorithm they have

Originally Posted by nsx
I wouldn't call it throw away ticketing when we bought a more expensive replacement ticket, also from UA. We bought it with miles, but it accrues a lot more than $140 revenue on UA's books. For biz seats which were not available last August.
you coming up with a justification for the actions taken don’t change anything. The COC defines throw away ticketing, and it doesn’t include a provision based on buying a ‘replacement’ ticket.

A throwaway ticket is still a throwawy ticket, whether or not you’ve bought a different return flight.

I would, and so would UA.
You're wrong.
this, also.

Its been a while since I read the CoC, so decided to pull it up. This bullet appears in the ticketing section, under the prohibited practice sub-section:

The purchase and use of round-trip Tickets for the purpose of one-way travel only, known as “Throwaway Ticketing” is prohibited by UA.
Clearly, not taking the return as the OP describes falls under this definition. It’s not throwaway ticketing until the Pax doesn’t take the flight...sounds like they are they aren’t at that point yet. Once they don’t get on the plane, it absolutely meets this definition - I don’t think there’s any ambiguity in that.

Originally Posted by nsx
The intent until she arrived was to fly the return. Then we looked at J award availability and decided to splurge.
See the definition in the COC above. For easy reference, link is is here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ml#tcm:76-6604.

Theres no mention of intention. It seems once they don’t take the return flight, the itinerary essentially is ‘one way travel only’.

Originally Posted by nsx
The Basic Economy fare rules prohibit changes, period. It's use it or lose it. The airline can't impose that restriction and then demand payment of a penalty for not using the nonchangeable ticket and returning another way.

I'm disappointed but not surprised that United doesn't give us any reason other than courtesy to cancel a Basic Economy trip we won't use: If United gave any incentive someone would figure out how game it.
its exactly what UA has done. If you don’t think they ‘can’ do it, aid suggest taking them to court - that’s the way you can find out for sure. I’m not suggesting anyone has to like it. Or that they will come after you for a one-way fare. But per the COC, they seem to have the option of it, as you haven’t flown what you bought. YMMV, of course.

While non-changeable tickets, by the way, are relatively new to most flying US-based carriers, they have existed for a long time on other carriers and in certain jurisdictions on US carriers, pretty much I think where US carriers are matching others. Some ex-EU tickets, for example, have been non-changeable even before BE.

Originally Posted by nsx
Breakage (people not flying the return or even the entire trip) is a benefit to the airline and part of the reason for the low price on non-changeable tickets. Penalizing non-flying on such a ticket seems crazy except in the rare situation where the customer is obviously gaming the fare rules in a way that costs the airline money.
breakage may be a benefit to the carrier, but it also doesn’t change the rules of your ticket, which you agreed to at purchase.

so let’s say, Im a business traveler who sees this $279 fare. Instead of buying a single round trip at a say, Q fare, let’s say I buy two round trips, one ex-US and throw away the return, and one ex-EU where I throw away the return, netting a fare of say, $560 for the two, vs. $1300 for the single round trip option (or say, $5000 for two single one ways).

Are you going to tell me this is ok because the pax is indeed flying ‘round-trip”?

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
I don't see this as a clear case of throwaway ticketing, assuming that when this BE fare was ticketed, the traveler intended in good faith to fly it as written.

Aren't throwaway tickets intended to evade hidden city ticketing rules and notable differentials between OWs and RTs bought with a likely throwaway intent at the time of original ticketing? As I read the OP's recent post, he implies that the traveler had the intent to fly BE R.T. as ticketed; but is looking to fly a higher class after flying the outbound.

Except perhaps for BE tickets, isn't there a waiver of the change fee if a traveler buys up to a higher fare class? Then the Q. becomes whether the issue of a M+ award ticket would be considered a higher class, coupled here with the obvious aim of UA (except as to GS) to hold customers to the strict rules of BE as to change fees.
Again, the definition in the CoC above makes no mention of ‘intention’. Whether you, or the OP, believes it is throwaway ticketing or not doesn’t actually matter. UA writes the COC and can enforce it if it wants. It’s one sided, yes, pax don’t get a say, and no one has to like it. But these are the rules one ageees to at purchase. Again, if one wants to argue them, there is the court system.

You cant upfare a BE ticket, though there is supposedly an exception for GS. So it’s irrelevant. The only thing you can do with a BE ticket aside from flying as ticketed is to cancel within 24 hours of booking, or change/refund in case of IRROPS or the thresholds for delays per the COC or in the case of cancelation.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Again, the definition in the CoC above makes no mention of ‘intention’.
But it does say "for the purpose of one-way travel". It's a different word, but arguably has enough semantic overlap with "intent". I'm not necessarily making that argument but it's not clear to me such an argument should automatically be dismissed either.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:11 pm

Here's what United has to say in their BE "Terms and Conditions" https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...c-economy.aspx

• Basic Economy tickets are nonrefundable and non-changeable except as allowed by our 24-hour flexible booking policy — and they cannot be combined with any other fare type. They have no value if canceled or unused.
This seems to suggest United contemplates that a BE ticket purchaser may cancel or not use a BE ticket. And it doesn't suggest any penalties. Just says ticket has no value.

I'm open to the idea that UA could say to OP (or OP's TA): "hey, you flew one-way on this ticket, please pony up $XXX to cover the difference between a one-way fare and the fare you purchased". I'm not open to the idea that UA could say "hey you violated the CoC here" or that OP has done anything wrong.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
I'm open to the idea that UA could say to OP (or OP's TA): "hey, you flew one-way on this ticket, please pony up $XXX to cover the difference between a one-way fare and the fare you purchased". I'm not open to the idea that UA could say "hey you violated the CoC here" or that OP has done anything wrong.
"Wrong" is a value judgment, so I'll leave that aside. But your first and second sentences don't make sense together. If you think that UA can ask for the fare difference, the only logical reason is because the OP engaged in a practice contrary to the CoC. Otherwise, it would be a prohibited post-purchase price increase.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:40 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Regarding BE fares, I think most outside observers would say that when you have something explicitly sold as "use-it-or-lose-it", not using it and losing it are clearly expected behavior by the seller.
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2019 at 2:09 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.