Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Adding 1600 Premium Seats -- 763, A319/A320, CRJ550(CRJ700)

Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Adds More Than 1,600 New Premium Seats to International, Domestic and Regional Aircraft; More Comfort for More Customers in the Skies
United to add 50 percent more premium cabin seats to more than 100 aircraft
United to introduce best-in-the-sky 50-seat flying experience with innovative new aircraft
CHICAGO, Feb. 6, 2019

United Airlines today announced the next step in its commitment to making more customers more comfortable by adding more than 1,600 United Polaris business class and United First seats to nearly 250 international and domestic aircraft. Additionally, United will revolutionize the regional flying experience by introducing the two-cabin, 50-seat Bombardier CRJ 550 aircraft to its fleet, offering customers on key regional routes more legroom, storage and amenities than any other 50-seat regional aircraft operating today.

Click here to view an infographic on United's newly reconfigured aircraft

"In an era where many airlines are adding seats to their aircraft to crowd more passengers onto the plane, we're re-configuring more than 100 of our aircraft and doing exactly the opposite for the benefit of our customers," said Andrew Nocella, United's executive vice president and chief commercial officer. "From adding more premium seats on aircraft that serve some of our most traveled routes, introducing a revolutionary, best-in-class 50-seat experience or simply offering free DIRECTV on more than 200 aircraft, we are committed to making United the airline that our customers choose to fly."

More United Polaris business seats on Boeing 767-300ER aircraft
In the next several weeks, United will introduce to its fleet the first of 21 reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft featuring 16 additional United Polaris business seats in the premium cabin a more than 50 percent increase in all-aisle-access seating bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The newly reconfigured aircraft will also feature 22 United Premium Plus seats (becoming the first 767-300ER to offer this seat type); 47 Economy Plus seats and 52 Economy seats. United will first operate the reconfigured 767 which will feature the highest proportion of premium seats on any widebody operated by any U.S. carrier between Newark/New York and London, offering 50 percent more premium seats in the largest premium route in the world. The airline expects to introduce all the reconfigured aircraft to its fleet by the end of next year.

More United First seats on Airbus A319 and A320 aircraft
United is also adding more United First seats to its fleet of Airbus aircraft, offering customers greater opportunities to upgrade and enjoy a premium flying experience. Beginning this fall, the carrier will add four United First seats on its fleet of Airbus A319s, increasing the total count from eight to 12. The reconfigured aircraft will also feature 36 Economy Plus and 78 Economy seats.

Beginning early next year, United will add four United First seats on its fleet of nearly 100 Airbus A320 aircraft, increasing the total count from 12 to 16. The reconfigured aircraft will also feature 39 Economy Plus seats and 95 Economy seats. United expects to complete the reconfiguration of the Airbus A320 and A319s by the middle of next year.

Introducing the first-of-its-kind Bombardier CRJ 550
By the end of this year, United will revolutionize the regional flying experience with the planned introduction of 50 spacious, 50-seat Bombardier CRJ 550 aircraft to its regional fleet, subject to government certification. In addition to becoming the only 50-seat aircraft in the world to offer true first-class seating, the innovative new aircraft will provide customers with a truly exceptional flying experience, including a state-of-the-art interior featuring LED lighting, a self-serve beverage and snack station for customers seated in the premium cabin, Wi-Fi and more overall legroom per seat than any other 50-seat aircraft flown by any U.S. carrier. Additionally, the CRJ 550 will feature four storage closets, providing customers ample room to store their carryon bags and making the CRJ 550 the only regional jet in the skies where customers will not need to routinely gate check their bags.

The two-cabin CRJ 550 will feature 10 United First seats; 20 Economy Plus seats and 20 Economy seats. The CRJ 550 aircraft will eventually replace existing single-cabin 50-seat aircraft and will bring a higher percentage of two-cabin departures to smaller cities across the carrier's network. Additionally, the innovative aircraft will enable United to offer premium seats on more connecting flights from smaller cities to the airline's overall global network, further strengthening its competitive position and emphasizing its role as an industry innovator.

United expects that its regional partner GoJet will begin operating the CRJ 550 in the second half of this year subject to agreement on final terms and conditions on select routes from Chicago, O'Hare followed by Newark/New York, offering customers connecting through the hub the opportunity to enjoy a premium cabin experience at every step of their journey.

Every customer. Every flight. Every day.
In 2019, United is focusing more than ever on its commitment to its customers, looking at every aspect of its business to ensure that the carrier keeps customers' best interests at the heart of its service. In addition to today's announcement, United recently released a re-imagined version of the most downloaded app in the airline industry and made DIRECTV free for every passenger on 211 aircraft, offering more than 100 channels on seat back monitors on more than 30,000 seats. The multimillion-dollar investment in improving inflight entertainment options will benefit the more than 29 million people expected to fly United's DIRECTV-enabled planes this year.

Print Wikipost

United Adding 1600 Premium Seats -- 763, A319/A320, CRJ550(CRJ700)

Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
Any update on the A319 reconfigurations, which are supposed to be the first ones? The Feb press release said "later this year", which now that it's August is starting to approach.
in the fleet thread bunky reported the first 319 was completed 7/31

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31365772-post527.html
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

Thanks for the quick responses. They fly a lot of these on my SBA-DEN flights, so certainly looking forward to them
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

looks like it just landed in RNO as UA 2039 from ORD. In the flight status, seat map indeed shows 8F and 114 Y seats, but under amenities, it still says 8F and 120 Y.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
looks like it just landed in RNO as UA 2039 from ORD. In the flight status, seat map indeed shows 8F and 114 Y seats, but under amenities, it still says 8F and 120 Y.
They're blocking 4J until the gate similar to the 76L so it looks like suddenly Airbus equipment will become decent for upgrades for a little while. Less good in certain sections of E+ though as it looks like (12, 20) -> (15) on the swap.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Any chance the CRJ-550 config will be put on the ORD-Bangor, ME (BGR) route next month?

It is currently scheduled to be a CRJ-700
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by ord1027
Any chance the CRJ-550 config will be put on the ORD-Bangor, ME (BGR) route next month?

Stranger things have happened. I mean, this is United. But I wouldnt count on it.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd consider that extremely unlikely.

The CRJ-550 is likely to be used on routes that are currently scheduled for CRJ-200 or ERJ-145 service (both 50-seat planes). Swapping a -550 in for a -700 would result in a net loss of 20 seats.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

First they would have to be operating for passenger flights which has not yet started.

So low chance for any routing the next month.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:30 am

crj550 photos!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBcIauvW4AELB7b.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBcIauwW4AE5jPA.jpg
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Is purple now the brand standard color for Economy Plus?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAaronT

Is purple now the brand standard color for Economy Plus?
It's not; that's for Premium Plus. Economy Plus is blue (a lighter one than for the FC seats). Not sure what's going on with the CR5 in that regard.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
It's not; that's for Premium Plus. Economy Plus is blue (a lighter one than for the FC seats). Not sure what's going on with the CR5 in that regard.
Right, but this is the first plane with new Economy seats since PP was rolled out hence my question. It would be a real muddying of the brands if they went with purple since Econ+ is much closer to Econ- than PP.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, but this is the first plane with new Economy seats since PP was rolled out hence my question. It would be a real muddying of the brands if they went with purple since Econ+ is much closer to Econ- than PP.
I agree, it doesn't make sense.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

I would be highly skeptical if folks, even FFs who fly UA a lot, should care that much (I don't). But I do agree that it doesn't seem consistent with the P+ rollout.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
On a separate note - do folks think that the CR5 will replace E145s, which should replace CR2s, with the Devil's Chariot being relegated only to the routes where it makes sense (e.g. short hops, subsidized routes, etc.)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.