Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Flight Delays and lack of customer service @ IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Flight Delays and lack of customer service @ IAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta/Marriott Rewards/HH
Appreciate the feedback (positive and negative) - Learned a few things as well. FWIW, they got everyone off the plane initially and advised us to grab our gate checked bags (they were in the process of off-loading them) - Pilot came back about 10 mins later, said we would have a quick turnaround and stopped unloading bags. Sounds like I'm not the only one who didn't know the rules in this case (including 1K line who instructed me to go to customer service...).

Just a few other things... Flight out of Jax wasn't delayed enough to justify changing flights (had a 3 hour layover for cushion.... clearly not enough). Re Avianca - Needed to get here this morning if at all possible so Avianca it was - Self inflicted or not... And IAH, yeah... preferred, but when the company is buying the tickets, you don't always have a choice..

And re gate check... yeah... probably did say something, but really? you get it when you get off the plane - how often do those get lost?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fishernrex
And re gate check... yeah... probably did say something, but really? you get it when you get off the plane - how often do those get lost?
There's a reason they tag them. Never, ever leave medications, laptops, valuables, passports, etc. or anything you might need for the duration of your air travel (including incorporating for any short or looooong delays) in any checked bags - wether checking at the gate or at the counter. You never know what can happen...they miss boarding a bag, medication needed as you are still delayed on the tarmac, etc.. See my two examples, which are a little different and with strollers, but still....

A couple of years ago, we were flying with a stroller YYZ-EWR-CVG, with the first segment on AC. Sometimes, we just check the stroller through at the counter, but this time, we definitely wanted it for the layover. Gate checked at YYZ and was specifically tagged with the EWR on there (as well as the CVG final - much like UA does their pink tags fro strollers), and it was definitely supposed to come out there. We waited for about 15 minutes and finally got an agent to look into it. She said the bags were all long unloaded and they were already putting bags on for the return flight, and it must have been taken off and put through checked baggage. We spent the rest of our layover with UA staff trying to track it down, as it didn't have a standard tag on it, and we didn't know if it would just be offloaded to the belt at EWR. Turns out it did make our connection as a checked bag, and there at the belt on arrival, but we weren't sure for a while.

Then just in Dec., was flying ORD-FRA-BLR. Dropped the pink-tagged stroller at the gate, and for some reason, I forgot to mention it to the greeting FA (I almost always do...to make sure they see them take it before the doors close). Just as doors were about to close, they asked if any pax onboard had left a stroller at the gate. Agent was there, confirmed she saw me and that it would be on the flight. It wasn't! Luckily, it still made our BLR flight as checked bags (on the later UA FRA flight). Was a PITA as we had a 7 hour layover in FRA.

None of my examples were that dire...the stroller, especially in the last instance, would have been ideal and a definite nice thing to have, but we were able to deal without. A medication that is necessary and you don't have access to is a different story. Always keep that on hand.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:04 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The EWR club dragon refusing entry because the flight the BP was for had already left is absolutely typical of EWR. Lounge policy requires same day BP, which that undoubtedly was, even if the flight had gone...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
at LGA, I've had my green valet checked bags sent to baggage claim. I'd bet it's not zero chance.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by docbert
This should not have happened.

From the perspective of the flight you were on, you missing your connection is simply you failing to board the flight - and that's exactly the situation that PPBM was designed to catch. When you failed to board that flight - regardless of the reason - your bags should have been offloaded.

If it was the other way around (you made the flight, your bags didn't) then that's OK, as in that case it's not you that made the choice to separate, but delays in getting your bags onto the flight.
But it wasn't me that caused to missed the flight as it was the airline that automatically rebooked me into a later flight on my second leg.

To clarify - the delay in my first flight violated minimum connection and they rebooked me into a later flight while I was on the way. But my bag went with the original second flight anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
at LGA, I've had my green valet checked bags sent to baggage claim. I'd bet it's not zero chance.
Was the green tag still on it?

The primary purpose of the green tag is to differentiate "clean" and unclean bags, which are frequently stored together in the hold.

If the tag comes off, then they have to send it to baggage claim as they have no way of knowing that it's a bag that has been through security (ie, TSA) so they can't return it airside.

(The tags are used for multiple other things, including general tracking, weight/balance, etc)
fezzington likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
it's a toss up as to whether 24 hours at an EWR hotel or AV is worse.
Take an Uber into the Ironbound and go get some Portuguese food. Taste of Portugal or Fernandes Steakhouse are my favorites, but plenty of other great spots too.

Plenty of great eats in Newark - not to mention all the events at NJPAC or the Prudential Center ....

Lots to do that don’t involve being stuffed in a Residence Inn during an extended stop.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:56 pm

Two biggest gripes: ZERO customer service @ IAD and and sub-par substitution on airline. Thoughts?
Choose IAH next time for BOG.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by docbert
Was the green tag still on it?

The primary purpose of the green tag is to differentiate "clean" and unclean bags, which are frequently stored together in the hold.
If the tag comes off, then they have to send it to baggage claim as they have no way of knowing that it's a bag that has been through security (ie, TSA) so they can't return it airside.
(The tags are used for multiple other things, including general tracking, weight/balance, etc)
That makes sense, but in this case, yes, green tag was still attached. Same for Mrs. 50K and at least one other (non-related) passenger as I recall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.