Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Flight Delays and lack of customer service @ IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta/Marriott Rewards/HH

I'll try to make this as short as possible... (I did say try!)

Original Itinerary: JAX>EWR>BOG - Flight delayed out of JAX, unable to land @ EWR with ground control restrictions, diverted to IAD to refuel. Fun begins here. Due to delays, missed the connection to BOG. Called 1K line and was put on a hold for the IAD>IAH>BOG flight and instructed to go to customer service to obtain assistance getting my bags off the JAX>EWR flight. "Customer Service" rep flat out refuses to assist and advises that I have no option but to get back on the original flight that is refueling. Unable to get my gate check bag with medications, I really have no choice. Two other people at the desk also refuse to assist. Another gentleman from the flight is there as well with a similar issue who has a confirmed flight from IAH to his final destination (also International). He is receiving some help, but they are trying to give him the runaround also and not wanting to pull his bags. Back on the phone with 1K, I am tentatively booked on a new flight EWR>BOS>BOG via Avianca if I missed the original connection.

Meanwhile, the captain and gate agents are doing everything they can to herd the cats back onto the fated flight (kudos to that entire crew, they were great under the circumstances); Back in the air, we are once again delayed by EWR ground control and flight missed the original connection. Check the app, nothing about my alternate flights - Attempted to enter the EWR lounge (day pass with ticket), but refused entry because my ticket wouldn't scan and that flight has left.... Oy Vey - I give up! Went outside security and checked in with 1K desk - Agent was able to confirm my new flights and locate luggage on the carousel (FWIW, I did actually manage to make it to BOG with most of my luggage!). Back through security, again attempt entry to club - this time they took pity on me!).

Avianca - Far below United standards in business class. Cabin was essentially ignored the entire flight - PDB beverage of champagne, water, or orange juice and then no drink service until well over an hour into flight. Seat charger and AVOD broken.

Two biggest gripes: ZERO customer service @ IAD and and sub-par substitution on airline. Thoughts?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Getting bags pulled off of a flight at a diversion point can be nearly impossible.. I'm not really surprised that you were unable to do this. They don't even like to let you out of the jetway most of the time.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
When your flight was delayed @ JAX, wouldn't MIA have been the obvious reroute gateway?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not ever check, including gate check, medications and other valuables. I am fairly certain that UA would have made this announcement at JAX, but it is also common sense.

Pulling bags from an aircraft making a quick fuel diversion is simply not going to happen. There would not have been any baggage crew assigned to that aircraft and locating the two people and equiptment to locate & pull your bag could well have cost an extra hour or more.

The rest of this is all beyond UA's doing. But, sounds as though they helped you with the things that were "helpable".
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fishernrex
IMeanwhile, the captain and gate agents are doing everything they can to herd the cats back onto the fated flight (kudos to that entire crew, they were great under the circumstances);
You've answered your own question about getting you bags with this very statement.

Pulling a passengers bags off a flight will take anywhere from 10-20 (or more) minutes by the time they get the required equipment there, unload enough bags to find yours, reload those that have been unloaded, etc, which would have delayed your original flight even further.

That additional delay would have potentially meant countless others on your flight would have missed their connections.

... and sub-par substitution on airline. Thoughts?
United would have rebooked you on the next available UA flight if you'd asked. Presumably you didn't want to wait the additional 24 (or more) hours to do so.

If the cause had been something within United's control you might have a valid reason to complain, but when it's weather...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
Originally Posted by Often1
Do not ever check, including gate check, medications and other valuables. I am fairly certain that UA would have made this announcement at JAX, but it is also common sense.

Pulling bags from an aircraft making a quick fuel diversion is simply not going to happen. There would not have been any baggage crew assigned to that aircraft and locating the two people and equiptment to locate & pull your bag could well have cost an extra hour or more.

The rest of this is all beyond UA's doing. But, sounds as though they helped you with the things that were "helpable".
I know there was a time where you where not allowed to voluntarily separate from you bag post 9/11. Does anyone know if that rule is still in effect? If so then not being able to get your bag would effectively mean that you "must" take your original flight despite what the call center agents may have believed.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by joelliot
I know there was a time where you where not allowed to voluntarily separate from you bag post 9/11. Does anyone know if that rule is still in effect? I
Positive Passenger Bag Matching (PPBM) started after Pan Am 103, not 9/11, however it does NOT apply to US Domestic Flights due to other security precautions that are used (primarily, the fact that all bags are X-rayed). It is still in effect for all international flights, and domestic flights in some other countries.

It's always been a bit of a grey area during IROPS and reroutes. If the airline re-routes you (or your bags) of their own accord, then there's no issue because it wasn't you that caused your bags to go on a different international flight than you did. If you choose to re-route, as occurred here, then frequently the airline will state that your bags will be moved as well - but then if they fail to do so it's potentially still covered as it was due to their actions (NOT removing your bags) rather than your options.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fly through IAH or depart from MCO next time.
fishernrex and JimInOhio like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by joelliot
I know there was a time where you where not allowed to voluntarily separate from you bag post 9/11. Does anyone know if that rule is still in effect? If so then not being able to get your bag would effectively mean that you "must" take your original flight despite what the call center agents may have believed.

I have two episodes

1) on an Intl flight - I was rebooked due to missed connection, but my bags flew with the original flight... since it wasn’t caused by me, my bags were able to fly on a separate flight away from me.

2) on a domestic flight - my parents fell asleep near the gate and missed their flight (due to jet lag) and their bags still flew in the original flight since PPBM does not apply to domestic flights.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by samwise6222
1) on an Intl flight - I was rebooked due to missed connection, but my bags flew with the original flight... since it wasn’t caused by me, my bags were able to fly on a separate flight away from me.
This should not have happened.

From the perspective of the flight you were on, you missing your connection is simply you failing to board the flight - and that's exactly the situation that PPBM was designed to catch. When you failed to board that flight - regardless of the reason - your bags should have been offloaded.

If it was the other way around (you made the flight, your bags didn't) then that's OK, as in that case it's not you that made the choice to separate, but delays in getting your bags onto the flight.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA
Ouch, getting transferred to Avianca is dire. Spirits Big Front Seat is better than Avianca Business Class
fishernrex likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA would have been just fine rebooking OP onto its next BOG service with availability. If OP was not happy with AV, he should have piped up on the spot. That was a self-inflicted wound, although it's a toss up as to whether 24 hours at an EWR hotel or AV is worse.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by docbert
From the perspective of the flight you were on, you missing your connection is simply you failing to board the flight - and that's exactly the situation that PPBM was designed to catch. When you failed to board that flight - regardless of the reason - your bags should have been offloaded.
There are plenty of situations where bags can make the flight but a passenger couldn't reasonably have been expected to make it. PPBM would allow the bags to continue.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Avianca - Far below United standards in business class. Cabin was essentially ignored the entire flight - PDB beverage of champagne, water, or orange juice and then no drink service until well over an hour into flight.
Pretty standard, actually. I have flown several SQ flights where drinks weren't served until two hours mark; although those flights were longer.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by docbert
This should not have happened.

If it was the other way around (you made the flight, your bags didn't) then that's OK, as in that case it's not you that made the choice to separate, but delays in getting your bags onto the flight.
It shouldn't happen but it does. I gave up my business class seat EWR-GVA because operations mistakenly gave away the pilot crew rest seat - and the pilots were refusing to leave until a passenger did. The gate agents were begging people - never saw such an uncomfortable scene, but never approached me as I guess I was 1K at that time? I really did not need to get to Geneva nonstop so I 'took one for the team' and volunteered to give up my seat. Got rerouted on LH via MUC I think (it was in the midst of the Smisek mess). When I arrived in Geneva later that day the Swiss baggage agent said "Oh you're the one who these bags belong to. This is very unusual but they arrived six hours before you did." And said like a true a Swiss veteran - almost like it was my fault lol....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.