Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumbleweeds at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Tumbleweeds at EWR

EWR is practically empty. There was no line at security at all. In fact I think there are almost more people at the bar in the United Club than the rest of the terminal. What gives?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
There's a ground stop, none of the connectors can get there?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
There's a ground stop, none of the connectors can get there?
There is presently a Traffic Management Program in place but no significant delays posted by FAA.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Sunday afternoon in late January...not a lot of tourist traffic heading out of NYC, and not a day for business travel either?

If I were you, I'd enjoy it while it lasts
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is presently a Traffic Management Program in place but no significant delays posted by FAA.
How on earth is an average delay of 40 min, max delay of 60 min, and an active ground stop not "significant delays"?? Just your average day in the sEWeR?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How on earth is an average delay of 40 min, max delay of 60 min, and an active ground stop not "significant delays"??
At the time of posting, the FAA was not stating the above. Presently the FAA states
Due to WEATHER / WIND, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 3 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
Delays by Destination: No destination-specific delays are being reported.
General Departure Delays: Because a traffic management program is delaying some arriving flights, departing flight schedules may be affected. Check with your airline to determine if your flight is affected.
General Arrival Delays: Due to VOL:Compacted Demand, arrival traffic is experiencing airborne delay between 16 minutes and 30 minutes and increasing.
conditions can be dynamic
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
it's too crowded so nobody goes there anymore.
RoyalFlush, EWR764, IluvSQ and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the time of posting, the FAA was not stating the above.
They absolutely were, here's the full text of the GS that was posted at the time of my 1850Z post and your 1904Z reply:

ATCSCC 032 EWR/ZNY 01/27/2019 CDM GROUND STOP
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1829Z
GROUND STOP PERIOD: 27/1830Z - 27/1930Z
DEP FACILITIES INCLUDED: (Manual) ZDC ZNY ZOB ZBW CYHZ CYOW CYUL
CYYZ CYTZ CYQB
PREVIOUS TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 0 / 0 / 0
NEW TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 477 / 60 / 40
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM
IMPACTING CONDITION: VOLUME / COMPACTED DEMAND
COMMENTS:
EFFECTIVE TIME: 271830 - 272030
SIGNATURE: 19/01/27 18:31
Presently the FAA states conditions can be dynamic
Indeed.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:16 pm

They absolutely were, here's the full text of the GS that was posted at the time of my 1850Z post and your 1904Z reply:
Indeed.
Appears the FAA was providing inconsistent public messages.

But even still, a ground stop probably is not the reason for an "empty" feeling terminal, as if operations were halted, passengers planning on departure would be building up in the terminal as they had no place to go.

More likely, just as lighter than normal travel day, as others have speculated.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I have been though EWR several times over the past week or so. It had seemed less busy, but I was always over in terminal A...

Also noticed that my planes were sitting at EWR for a longer then usual, instead of doing quick turns, at least anecdotally.
Maybe just Jan. schedule thinning?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:26 pm

Wait an empty UC even in Terminal C? Why you complaining?! You should enjoy it while it lasts. For someone who frequently connects thru EWR I often struggle to find a seat let alone a work area to do my business activities in the business lounge!

-James
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Welcome to winter in EWR. You don’t go there or through there unless absolutely necessary. 45 minute delays is par. A busy UC is par.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Welcome to winter in EWR. You don’t go there or through there unless absolutely necessary. 45 minute delays is par. A busy UC is par.
Would you rather EWR or ORD? That's the question!

-James
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Collierkr
And given the winter weather in EWR, maybe UA will have a dreaded snowman!

David
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by j2simpso

Would you rather EWR or ORD? That's the question!

-James
ewwww, that is a tough one. I fly to EWR mostly but did a lot to ORD a few years back. Through 2 winters I never got stranded but had to do some crafty replanning a few times.

EWR is at the mercy of the surrounding airports so I’d say that one is tougher overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.