Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumbleweeds at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:19 pm

Passed through Terminal C on Friday afternoon. I can say without exaggeration that there were more TSA officers present in the security checkpoint than passengers. I’ve never had a long wait to clear security at EWR but this took less than 2 minutes from entering the line to collecting my things from the xray machine belt.
EWR764 and VoiceActor like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso

Would you rather EWR or ORD? That's the question!

-James
ord at least it has 8 runways.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-James
ORD, EWR is the last place I want to be stranded.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
+1. ORD has many nice hotels nearby that are easy to get to with their shuttles.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mellon
Normally I agree, but this morning (Jan 28), ORD was operating on 1 runway (28R) for takeoffs and landings (10 mile separation between landings) so the delay of planes was almost 13,000 feet long (yes 2.5 miles almost) as the conga line of planes stretched from the departure end of the runway to the other end!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
What about LGA?

Originally Posted by mellon
That may be true, but IME ORD tends to follow the Murphy's law of airport ops, whatever can go wrong will go wrong! Weather wise ORD tends to get the nastiest weather with NYC coming in close second.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have been though EWR several times over the past week or so. It had seemed less busy, but I was always over in terminal A...

Also noticed that my planes were sitting at EWR for a longer then usual, instead of doing quick turns, at least anecdotally.
Maybe just Jan. schedule thinning?
Since MLK Day, New York City has been generally deserted. Even got a same-day 7PM reservation at La Grenouille on Friday night!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tumbleweeds are very brittle. When I hit them on the highway they shatter into thousands of pieces. I don't think an airplane hitting one would suffer much damage. Not sure how much mayhem would ensue If it were ingested into an engine, though.
VoiceActor likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

-James
No question ORD is the winner in almost every category.

The only time I would say EWR is if doing an I-D connection while the ATS is not running at ORD. Also not sure how EWR does de-icing these days - I tend to avoid unless doing NYC O/D - but that’s the only other situation where EWR might be an improvement - ORD doing de-icing at the gate vs. at a pad is a PITA and way behind the times - completely inefficient (in fact, wonder how that will hold up today and tomorrow.

Everything else is better in ORD by far - food options, ambiance, staff, etc. At least being stuck in ORD gives you a ton of decent and not over the top expensive food options - I could probably eat at Fronteras for days straight if it came down to it, plus a number of other great options. With it being basically OTG exclusive at EWR food is not just pricey and mediocre at best, but also makes customization difficult (for those who can’t just order off the menu - those with dietary restrictions, or kids, for example). not to mention a puff of wind tends to bring in delays at EWR.

I avoid EWR for connections unless there really is no other reasonable option.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

What Meola10 said. It was almost eerily empty. More TSA agents than passengers.
Let's see what it's like on the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.