Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United claims Goose strike, Passenger sues because 'they're lying.'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United claims Goose strike, Passenger sues because 'they're lying.'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't lawyers consult experts regarding the basic facts that they're alleging before filing a lawsuit?
Absolutely, especially competent aviation plaintiff's attorneys. In many cases, especially high-profile litigation, tens of thousands are already paid to experts to develop and validate theories long before a complaint is filed. This is not such a case.

Lawyers I know in the aviation plaintiff's bar are absolutely mortified by this hack-job. The attorney clearly is experienced and pedigreed, but this is utterly laughable. If you look at pleadings filed by top-notch aviation firms like Kreindler & Kreinlder, Katzman Lampert, etc., you would never see this kind of sensational nonsense. Still, it's achieved the desired effect, which is to attract media attention, ostensibly in the hopes of scoring an early settlement.

Given the facts as they have been presented, I doubt any competent aviation lawyer with even a rudimentary understanding of the Montreal Convention would take this on.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I was joking with my comments earlier, but I can understand why some pilots turn off ch 9 now or not communicate anything. This lawsuit driven society we have is pathetic and embarrassing. I say that with a wife in the industry, albeit in criminal law.

Over the 40+ years that I have been flying on UA, I've had one emergency landing, a few go arounds, and maybe 20 or so nasty FA's. Not once, ever, did lawsuit enter my mind. UA is fully qualified to fly family any day of the week and twice on Sunday, and if by chance we get stuck in Goose Bay for a day, we will still fly with UA next week. I trust them.
x2.

I'm okay flying United all day, week in, week out, year round.

I don't fly with a guitar but understand chit happens. Delays, diversions, mechanicals, crew time-outs, and the like.
mikeyf likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I've put up with a lot of BS over the years from UA b/c I truly believe they are the safest airline in the world. This suit is laughable.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Remember, lawsuits are not always about winning...they are more often about settling. If United's legal team decides that there is any chance of losing, or that the costs of a defense are going to run high, they will throw money at it to make it go away and cut their losses.
United will simply say their Goose is cooked, and move on...
mikeyf and dkc715 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.