Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-shirt on a UA flight yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
I honestly don't understand what the big deal is or how this can be "disruptive." And what in the world would make the crew uncomfortable with flying with someone wearing the shirt? Do they think its going to make everyone agree and create a mob situation or something? Its a tacky but meant to be funny shirt, some people just need to take things a little less seriously.
A mob situation, LOL. Maybe if we all start wearing them they'd fix the wifi!
iluv2fly and S.R like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't this what Southwest does when it considers a tee shirt to be offensive?
You mean the international airline that does not fly RJs aka Barbie's #DreamJet , yet still has fast free gate-to-gate satellite wifi on every airplane free for their mid-tier elites, AKA A-List Preferred? Think they'd find the t-shirt as a billboard TBH.
on-a-stick likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
You mean the international airline that does not fly RJs aka Barbie's #DreamJet , yet still has fast free gate-to-gate satellite wifi on every airplane free for their mid-tier elites, AKA A-List Preferred? Think they'd find the t-shirt as a billboard TBH.
Yeah, just don't wear a mini skirt!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I personally think the t-shirt is humorous, albeit a bit classless. I can't fathom that an employee would consider kicking a passenger off for wearing something like this, especially when I see far more offensive attire (or, often, lack thereof) on many of my flights, like bare feet on the bulkhead, yet those passengers are allowed to continue to fly.
Daze, iluv2fly, nnn and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
A mob situation, LOL. Maybe if we all start wearing them they'd fix the wifi!
Doubt it. They’d rather give the appearance of having WiFi then actually offer a working product. All of the WiFi maintenance is contracted out to a third party who works limited shifts at some hubs. So for example, if the WiFi breaks on a Friday night, the UA mechanic can’t do anything to fix it. It’s off limits. The plane flies around with a WiFi MEL until a Panasonic or Thales or whoever the lowest bidder was for that particular aircraft, comes in on Monday to fix it. It flies for a few days, then breaks again, and flies around some more, broken, until it can get to a contractor at a time and place convenient for them.

But hey, they save a million dollars a year with that method, so good deal.

chavala likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I personally think the t-shirt is humorous, albeit a bit classless. I can't fathom that an employee would consider kicking a passenger off for wearing something like this, especially when I see far more offensive attire (or, often, lack thereof) on many of my flights, like bare feet on the bulkhead, yet those passengers are allowed to continue to fly.
Employees have to realize it’s their management that created the situation. Hold them accountable.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by chavala
Yeah, just don't wear a mini skirt!
Especially in Mexico, apparently. Oh boy I miss the 1970s, even though I was not born yet.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 757FO
... I respect each of your opinions, and ask you do the same for mine. While I personally think the t-shirt is classless and tacky, and honestly won't accomplish a damn thing, other than to solicit lots of opinions on this forum, to each his own.

If any of you are LHR bound tonight, see you on board, but please don't wear the t-shirt!

LOL, I'm not a sky waiter, I'm even worse, I'm the more obnoxious, more power tripping, ego inflated pilot who's tasked with getting you safely to your destination.
Safe travels, sir! BTW, I think the many if not most agree with your statement above. Classless and tacky; probably won't accomplish anything. But you went one step further by implying the person should be forced to remove the shirt or cover it up. You would have no legal standing at all for requesting that. If the person were an employee, they could be fired. That is legal. But you have no such control over a passenger. IMHO, but IANAL!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by topman
Apparently several Global Services pax made these and wear it on their UA flights.
Several passengers? Did they work at the same company and happened to be on the same flight? Seems like a lot of work to coordinate.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
Couldn't you just fix the WiFi instead?
That's too hard. Easier to get worked up over "profanity" that this guy NEVER uses at all. NEVER!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
The t-shirt is frankly bizarre and juvenile. Who would bother to take the time and trouble to do that....?

But I am incredulous at the mooted response of at least one UA employee. When I was a public-facing employee and I witnessed this level of customer discontent, I called attention to it and made sure that top management knew about it. The instincts expressed in this thread are the precise opposite of that. Blame the victim, er customer!

I guess I'll be the first in this thread to raise David Dao.... But that and the sentiments expressed above suggest a curious culture at UA -- a culture that you normally associate with govt. bureaucracies of dodgy totalitarian regimes.
iluv2fly, rch4u, blueman2 and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Ok, breaking my rule, and replying.

Folks, make no mistake, MANY of us have made UA management aware of our shortcomings. Truly, myself and many others have been the squeaky wheel about lots of operational stuff. I personally want the airline to do better, and I know many, many of my peers feel the same way. There is also a consensus among some, that regardless of what we do, UA has become the poster child for what is wrong, both accurate and perceived about the airline industry.

Yes, we have to do better as a company. I can assure you, I have sent pics of those t-shirts to several people within the airline who can help to address these things.

Having said that, the t-shirts are ridiculous. But, maybe part of that is because I'm frustrated that our hard and soft product isn't better. I'm just a pilot, and the only thing I can do is make those above me aware of the issues, and try to instill in the crew, a sense of pride.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
Safe travels, sir! BTW, I think the many if not most agree with your statement above. Classless and tacky; probably won't accomplish anything. But you went one step further by implying the person should be forced to remove the shirt or cover it up. You would have no legal standing at all for requesting that. If the person were an employee, they could be fired. That is legal. But you have no such control over a passenger. IMHO, but IANAL!
But the scary thing is, they do have a legal standing to kick anyone off who they "feel" to be a threat. Don't they?
I had a bad experience from an FA a couple weeks ago. What could I do? Talk back? Take the risk of him being "offended" ?
Face it, we've all been pummeled into submission.
dhodory and zeer0 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by 757FO
Ok, breaking my rule, and replying.

Folks, make no mistake, MANY of us have made UA management aware of our shortcomings. Truly, myself and many others have been the squeaky wheel about lots of operational stuff. I personally want the airline to do better, and I know many, many of my peers feel the same way. There is also a consensus among some, that regardless of what we do, UA has become the poster child for what is wrong, both accurate and perceived about the airline industry.

Yes, we have to do better as a company. I can assure you, I have sent pics of those t-shirts to several people within the airline who can help to address these things.

Having said that, the t-shirts are ridiculous. But, maybe part of that is because I'm frustrated that our hard and soft product isn't better. I'm just a pilot, and the only thing I can do is make those above me aware of the issues, and try to instill in the crew, a sense of pride.
I always wondered how the good could be good, when their product is so bad. Obviously they do not always want to be apologizing. But then just having a stern face and not caring anymore isn't good either.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing juvenile or offensive about it - if they wanted to draw attention this is far more effective than writing to united. Being kicked out would be even better.

Kudos to the folks desperate enough to try this - too bad ppl have to go such lengths to highlight an obvious problem...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.