Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Airplane Skids Off Runway in Chicago Due to Winter Weather

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airplane Skids Off Runway in Chicago Due to Winter Weather

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
The fact that their plane left the runway is SOME information... that's not supposed to happen.
Sure it is.

Though, the runway of the departure airport. Not of the arrival airport.
raehl311, spin88, ajGoes and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zspitzer
Though, the runway of the departure airport. Not of the arrival airport.
Well, technically it's supposed to happen at the arrival airport too - just in a controlled manner and onto a taxiway, which appears to be the two things they missed here...
milypan, raehl311, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Can't answer specifically but 739's approach speed is significantly higher than a 772 so I would imagine significantly higher than the two you asked about as well. It's notorious among pilots for being a difficult aircraft to land.
Answering specifically, the typical VRef is weight dependent, but 160 knots is fairly typical for a 772 and 155 is fairly typical for a 739. So not a significant difference. Typical roll-out is also shorter for 739, but either plane can stop a lot shorter than you would find comfortable, if necessary. However perhaps poor breaking action on the runway surface was a factor, or perhaps the wind shifted to a tail wind at the last second. Either way, the accident report will get to the root cause and the good thing is there were no injuries.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
AVHerald has a diagram showing where they apparently ended up. They landed on 4R, so either needed the entire length of the runway to stop (and turned to avoid what appears to be arresting material right at the end?), or they simply slipped off whilst making the turn.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mduell
Like every other plane does in some loading conditions?
I’m talking routinely. Only in the 739 have I been asked to stay in my seat until they install the pole.
am1108 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
MAYBE EVERY AIR CARRIER WORLDWIDE SHOULD JUST GROUND THE BOEING 737-900?

And we'll watch the FlyerTalk threads just pop up...
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
737's in general for some reason are very prone to going off of runways in poor conditions.

Can we bring back the 757's please?
am1108 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
The 739 has gained a bit of notoriety amongst pilots for being a bit of a bear (quick google search leads to a number of discussions in pilot forums). That being said does it make it dangerous? Absolutely not! To the contrary it’s absurdly safe. Do we know if this incident had anything to do with the plane’s design / handling characteristics? Nope. Anecdotally though a few 739 drivers I know weren’t terribly surprised that it was a 739 for what it’s worth.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DCP2016
737's in general for some reason are very prone to going off of runways in poor conditions.

Can we bring back the 757's please?
my brother has flown the 727, MD80, 757, and 767, the latter his current airframe. His favorite by far is the 757, but he says it’s day is passing, given today’s economics.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:20 am

Not the first time for this storm...a Southwest 737-800 skidded off the runway at OMA the day before (on Friday).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by threeoh
Not the first time for this storm...a Southwest 737-800 skidded off the runway at OMA the day before (on Friday).
And a Delta B737-900 slid off a taxiway in CVG.

From what I've seen in news reports and the LiveATC.net feed, all three aircraft were at taxi speeds when they slid off the pavement so it doesn't appear that he relatively higher B737 approach speeds were a factor in any of the three incidents.
IAH-OIL-TRASH, wrp96 and Imstevek like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:13 pm

Looks like someone took this 737 to the MAX
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by timfountain
Answering specifically, the typical VRef is weight dependent, but 160 knots is fairly typical for a 772 and 155 is fairly typical for a 739. So not a significant difference. Typical roll-out is also shorter for 739, but either plane can stop a lot shorter than you would find comfortable, if necessary. However perhaps poor breaking action on the runway surface was a factor, or perhaps the wind shifted to a tail wind at the last second. Either way, the accident report will get to the root cause and the good thing is there were no injuries.
Are you sure about that? A UA 737 pilot is the one who told me the landing speed for a 739 is higher than for a 777. They are quite prone to tail strikes, too.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
The 739 has gained a bit of notoriety amongst pilots for being a bit of a bear (quick google search leads to a number of discussions in pilot forums). That being said does it make it dangerous? Absolutely not! To the contrary it’s absurdly safe. Do we know if this incident had anything to do with the plane’s design / handling characteristics? Nope. Anecdotally though a few 739 drivers I know weren’t terribly surprised that it was a 739 for what it’s worth.
I flew across the country in my jet today with an ORD-based pilot the right seat, who happened to have landed at ORD an hour behind the wayward 73 yesterday. We talked about this a bunch. His theory is high 737-900 VREF speeds in nasty runway / wind conditions. Runways were 3/3/3 (ie slippery!) at best, with nasty crosswinds on the operating runways. No excuse for this incident, but a great lesson on the knife edge in commercial aviation between flight completion and safety. And a lesson of how the speed ratings in the -900 are just plain goofy to compensate for their weight, length, and loading. Thankfully no injuries here, but lesson still...
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:10 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
If you read the details, it's quite clear that this incident had nothing whatsoever to do with fast landing speeds. It was caused by an over-speedy turn in icy conditions off the end of the runway onto what was apparently the only taxiway available.
onthesam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.