Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How often do you complain about the Wifi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do you complain about the Wifi?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I had a paid monthly domestic Wifi subscription, and I was on a flight where the site had error and would not let me log in.

I screenshotted the error, submitted it to UA customer care's web portal and they gave me a $75 travel cert. Fyi the monthly subscription cost $49 and I had used it on a handful of other flights.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
WiFi works for me about 50% of the time that's why I don't buy a subscription. For the times it doesn't work a simple email to 1K Voice always got me a prompt full refund.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by nomad420
On the TPAC flights and flights in and out of Hawaii the FAs will often announce to not waste your time, effort, and money on the wi-fi as the service is "spotty at best".
Yup. They also sometimes say, hurry up and get on because we won't have coverage mid-flight! What?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
On the TPAC flights and flights in and out of Hawaii the FAs will often announce to not waste your time, effort, and money on the wi-fi as the service is "spotty at best".
And this is surprising, given those flights are close to the equator where sat coverage should be the best.

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I would rather disconnect when I am home with friends and family. When in prison in an aluminum tube, might as well work if possible. Get the work done then so I can take Friday off.
Exactly - why work when I have access to the world rather than when I'm already in sardine can prison?

Originally Posted by sincx
It's pretty amazing how United has trained us to have such low standards. In no other industry would anyone be satisfied with something working just 75% of the time. With United, that's a "higher expectation."
75% of the time? I would say my wifi works less than half the time.

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Yup. They also sometimes say, hurry up and get on because we won't have coverage mid-flight! What?
If you're flying like ORD/EWR-HKG/NRT, this isn't surprising as the geosynchronous satellites can't handle the poles very well.

But yes, one of the reasons I fly United rather than other star alliance carriers internationally is the global wifi - but it is definitely not the value add I've been expecting.

I wonder if their sat product just doesn't have the bandwidth to accommodate the people trying to use it.
geckoflyer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by onthesam
Not to be contrary just to be contrary -- but I've found the wifi to be sufficient for periodic e-mails, communication and (non-streaming service) downloads. 90% the time it works sufficiently for me to be as productive as I need to be while in the air. This includes international travel. I've never expected it to work well for a stable VPN or remote desktop session.

Instagram no longer works reliably. So what?
I think its fine for batch and periodic connection needs. Checking email on Outlook now and again, putting a file or or down now and again. My issue is in the age of cloud computing pretty much ALL of my tools for project management, system access, documentation, etc rely on almost a constant connection.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:01 pm

very simple I spoke to someone at corporate. UA is well aware the wifi doesnt work. So basically any flight you buy wifi you get your money back.
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
This is a legit question; when you write in to complain about the wifi, what do you say? Do you actually ask for compensation, or just state that it was a giant inconvenience and hope they connect the dots and give you a cert?

I purchase the wifi on most of my flights and I would say it works ok about 75-80 percent of the time.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB + Marriott LP
AA's WIFI is MUCH MUCH better, same as others equipped with Gogo Wifi.

I believe UA's WIFI is provided by Panasonic. It much worse compared to what AA, DL, and Alaska offers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:42 pm

I am a lowly leisure traveler only flying one or two times a year. For me- I download a few Netflix movie and remind myself I’m flying ina metal tube st 576mph while enjoying a 8.99 cocktail in economy class. Perspective is everything.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I complain EVERY time. EVERY time, I've tried to use it, it either doesnt work at all or stops half way through the flight. I 5h3n complain to CS and either get a refund or an ECT (worth the wifi cost or more). Since, it has never worked well for me, I've only tried it about 3-4 times, but I've never actually had to pay for it before.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
This is a legit question; when you write in to complain about the wifi, what do you say? Do you actually ask for compensation, or just state that it was a giant inconvenience and hope they connect the dots and give you a cert?.
I ask for a refund, which is always provided.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: UA
Never, seeing as I've never paid for it. I only use it for the free flight status information. I do remember on one flight, it dropped out completely for a good while. I'd imagine an outage like that also effects the included "personal device entertainment" so if I was counting on that I'd probably be a bit irritated then. For me it's no loss though.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:26 am

Perhaps I'm an outlier here but in the dozen of so UA flights I've had in the past year about 2 or maybe 3 had INOP Wifi. IMHO you should complain whenever Wifi doesn't work - folks it's 2019 not 2002 Wifi onboard aircrafts is an expectation now (as opposed to a luxury) and UA has had wifi across their fleet for sometime now. Heck they even sell monthly and annual subscriptions for the service! You're flying UA not AC where you're more likely to be on a 747 with them then having Wifi be offered on the flight let alone have it working!

-James
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:27 am

I paid for WiFi on 18 mainline flights in 2018 and requested refunds for 16 of them. All received no questions asked. I also had a 1 month subscription for a heavier travel month and was issued a voucher for $100 when I complained about that. As someone else mentioned, UA clearly knows this is an issue.

My SOP now is to buy it early, use it while I can (sometimes 10 minutes...sometimes 45)...and then file a claim upon landing.

Will say the Express flights (and I guess PS too although I don’t fly them) with Gogo is much more reliable.

I’ve shifted a lot of my business to DL and AA (DL WiFi tends to be most reliable) because business still happens while we are trapped in a tube. If there’s a time where I know I’ll be in the air and need WiFi...I book away from UA.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:21 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
...Will say the Express flights (and I guess PS too although I don’t fly them) with Gogo is much more reliable...
+1

I did 120 flights last year, 20 UX and 100 UA. I have the annual Wi-Fi subscription and GoGo worked for every flight while my hit-rate on mainline is roughly 50/25/25 where it mostly works half the time, barely works (maybe a 30-45 minute window of connectivity randomly) 25% of the time, and is totally inoperable 25% of the time.

My metric, by the way is simply being able to download/send e-mails from Outlook which is what I really use my plane time for, which isn't that intensive connectivity wise.
AirMiles2001 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.