Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Bain and BCG probably require fully refundable tickets if on client business but discounted economy on internal travel under 3 hours.
This. Call me naive, but looking at the list I immediately wondered how on earth all the consultancy companies are topping the list? If I were a client paying for travel for externals, I would try to put it all on my firm's account and collect as many airline-to-business program benefits as possible, and not just pass them over to BCGs and Delloittes of the world...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I know Apple employees who don't fly business class.

HPQ, HPE, CSCO have all stopped their employees from flying business unless it's an executive; definition of an executive is a little loose though... I see a lot of familiar faces (former colleagues/clients/partners) on my SFO-AUS/NRT/PVG/SIN/HKG/EWR/LHR/FRA flights.

For those people commenting on security, GDPR!!!
Unless that person is a contractor- anything over 8 hours is business for fruity.

nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Some things that stood out to me about this:
1) Wish Jobs was still around just to watch his reaction to this.
2) Its amazing how cavalier they were with confidential customer and UA financial information; their rationale for why they did this doesn't help as it shows a massive lack of judgement. Keeping confidential customer information to need-to-know "going forward" doesn't fix things and that's not something one does overnight but rather requires a culture shift and likely many changes to systems also it raises the question: why were you not doing that before? It also will raise questions from others about their privacy practices as relates to customer data.
3) The irony about the whole situation is my favorite part and gets is a solid 11 on a 1-10 scale. UA apparently was trying to make sure their SFO employees understood the importance of global accounts and were super nice to Apple employees as they are going into a renegotiation of a 3 year contract... yeah well solid bet that during said negotiations this will come up, and not in a way that is helpful to UA.
4)The situation with Apple and China is now - due solely to the incompetence of UA - probably something they will have to address with their investors.
5) UA is lucky that from SFO there are not a ton of other options to China, they will probably have to eat a huge plate of crow, make sweeping changes to their governance plus some "make nice" discounts in the next contract but given the lack of other options its not likely a terminal event.
6) Lots of focus on this leak is on Apple, which is not surprising given they were called out as #1 by a wide margin and tend to be super sensitive to leaks but I suspect the other companies will have something to say to their reps about this and "our bad" isn't going to cut it when they too are up for contract renewal (see #5 ).
7) Lastly, with UAs 37.7B in total revenue for 2017 and combined revenue of +/-375MM (using 34MM for the "over 34MM", 15MM for the 12-17MM, and 11 for over 10MM) 13 companies in one airport acount for ~1% of total global revenue in quite interesting. That this is only SFO is also probably why many of those in the lower tiers (ie Deloitte, PwC, etc) were not higher as I suspect unlike Apple, which is predominately in the bay area from a US perspective, they are more geographically diverse. Also for SFO based UA folks not working for companies on that list who lament not getting upgraded...well now you know why
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:17 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by maxvor
This. Call me naive, but looking at the list I immediately wondered how on earth all the consultancy companies are topping the list? If I were a client paying for travel for externals, I would try to put it all on my firm's account and collect as many airline-to-business program benefits as possible, and not just pass them over to BCGs and Delloittes of the world...
Travel is such a small percentage of most contracts it’s not really worth arguing about. Are you also going to argue about shipping costs? Software licensing? Lodging? If you’re spending 10 million on a contract (which for many consultants is on the low end) who cares 0.5% is business class tix? Especially if it allows you to recruit a better firm and/or have flexibility in scheduling meetings?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meanwhile, this is global news; Here a clip from a Swiss paper (in German, referring to Roche)

https://www.blick.ch/news/wirtschaft...d15118260.html
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Meanwhile, this is global news; Here a clip from a Swiss paper (in German, referring to Roche)

https://www.blick.ch/news/wirtschaft...d15118260.html
Wow.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Are PVG’s and/or SFO’s slots maxed? If not Apple would just go to (or threaten) DL/AA and say for $150m, will you guys start/add a few routes.
Not directly related, but worth keeping in mind that Air China recently cancelled it's SJC-PVG service.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by n198ua
Wow.
???
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Gosh - this is such a non story. Every company has a rogue employee who leaks stuff. They are no doubt trying to find this person who may or may not be found. While UA may not have wanted this out in public domain, Apple is a $250 Billion annual revenue company and they knew exactly what they spend with UA - and $150 million isn't exactly a lot considering Apple's revenue and profit.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Gosh - this is such a non story. Every company has a rogue employee who leaks stuff. They are no doubt trying to find this person who may or may not be found. While UA may not have wanted this out in public domain, Apple is a $250 Billion annual revenue company and they knew exactly what they spend with UA - and $150 million isn't exactly a lot considering Apple's revenue and profit.
The data is also not exactly proprietary. There are intermediaries in the airline ticketing transaction and passenger data is stored on accessible reservation systems.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite

???
Hi LondonElite
I was expressing surprise at the legs this "story" has gotten.

Last edited by n198ua; Jan 16, 2019 at 5:08 am Reason: don't worry about it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by n198ua
Hi LondonElite
I was expressing surprise at the legs this "story" has gotten.
With that you and I are in agreement. To me it is a complete yawnfest. ...and, in other news, one of the world’s largest companies flies a lot of people between its head office and its main production sites. Also, a squirrel was seen scampering up a tree with an acorn in its mouth.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So with SFO corporate travel obviously so important to UA, why do the SFO UCs suck so bad compared to others? How about ploughing some of that money back into the product, United?
EWR764, n198ua and nomad420 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

With that you and I are in agreement. To me it is a complete yawnfest. ...and, in other news, one of the world’s largest companies flies a lot of people between its head office and its main production sites. Also, a squirrel was seen scampering up a tree with an acorn in its mouth.
If this is such a yawnfest, can you point to similar data from AA or DL over the last 5 years, revealing the travel statistics from their dominant hub, and detailing the travel spend of their most loyal corporate customers?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by east_west
If this is such a yawnfest, can you point to similar data from AA or DL over the last 5 years, revealing the travel statistics from their dominant hub, and detailing the travel spend of their most loyal corporate customers?
I have no idea what has leaked from others, but I suspect it wouldn’t take Sherlock Holmes to produce, and be equally boring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.