FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949505-have-simple-question-about-united-airlines-mileageplus-ask-here-2019-a.html)

jsloan Jun 18, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Kerry Kittles (Post 31215269)
Ah okay - understood. That explains the 11x(pqd)=7029. It's the first leg of a RT with the inbound being in normal economy. So if I understand this correctly, 7029 award miles is what I will earn from this leg and the 11x multiplier has already been reflected in the "base award miles" shown below?

Yes. “Base” award miles is a bit of a misnomer here. Generally, the “base award miles” reflects 5x the PQD. For whatever reason, on the summary page, UA goes back and updates the “base award miles” to show the total award miles that would be earned if the person who’s logged in is also the passenger — the 11x, in your case. I’d expect that the other leg of the roundtrip was probably about 350 PQD or so, which would bring the total PQD for the trip up to about 1000 PQD, which matches the fare (less taxes and fees).

For tickets purchased on United.com, and for UA or Star Alliance flights, you will always earn 11x the PQD as a 1K.

Kerry Kittles Jun 18, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31215293)

Yes. “Base” award miles is a bit of a misnomer here. Generally, the “base award miles” reflects 5x the PQD. For whatever reason, on the summary page, UA goes back and updates the “base award miles” to show the total award miles that would be earned if the person who’s logged in is also the passenger — the 11x, in your case. I’d expect that the other leg of the roundtrip was probably about 350 PQD or so, which would bring the total PQD for the trip up to about 1000 PQD, which matches the fare (less taxes and fees).

For tickets purchased on United.com, and for UA or Star Alliance flights, you will always earn 11x the PQD as a 1K.

Great - thanks a bunch for the clear explanation

findark Jun 18, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31215293)

I think you're going to be short a bit more than that, as the outbound will have £172 of APD, which does not earn.

jsloan Jun 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31215464)
I think you're going to be short a bit more than that, as the outbound will have £172 of APD, which does not earn.

Agreed that APD doesn’t earn; don’t think the £172 rate applies on this itinerary. It’s economy to Frankfurt, even though it’s P+ from there. If I’m mistaken, then, yes, that’ll cut into PQD pretty heavily.

findark Jun 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31215515)
Agreed that APD doesn’t earn; don’t think the £172 rate applies on this itinerary. It’s economy to Frankfurt, even though it’s P+ from there. If I’m mistaken, then, yes, that’ll cut into PQD pretty heavily.

APD prices to next stopover and uses the fare component of the travel, which in this case is a UA R fare to EWR (Premium Economy). ITA prices it with the high level of APD; it makes sense otherwise it would be too easy to evade.

jsloan Jun 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31215560)
APD prices to next stopover and uses the fare component of the travel, which in this case is a UA R fare to EWR (Premium Economy). ITA prices it with the high level of APD; it makes sense otherwise it would be too easy to evade.

Ick. I stand corrected. :(

OP: you may be able to save $100-$150 on airfare by spending more than 24 hours in Frankfurt, if you’re so inclined...

FlyingHighlander Jun 19, 2019 7:36 am

UA SDC policy for TATL business

Does the UA Same day change policy I'm used to flying domestically apply in the same way for an international TATL business class (Z fare)?

I have a LHR-IAD flight at 7:30am on Monday but theres a chance I can be available for the 12:15pm or 4:40pm the day before (Sunday).

Kacee Jun 19, 2019 7:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander (Post 31218221)
Does the UA Same day change policy I'm used to flying domestically apply in the same way for an international TATL business class (Z fare)?

Yes.

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander (Post 31218221)
I have a LHR-IAD flight at 7:30am on Monday but theres a chance I can be available for the 12:15pm or 4:40pm the day before (Sunday).

Day before is very difficult to SDC, for obvious reasons, but the 7:30 am at least means it's theoretically possible.

FlyingHighlander Jun 19, 2019 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31218241)
Yes.

Day before is very difficult to SDC, for obvious reasons, but the 7:30 am at least means it's theoretically possible.

Thanks. I assumed it'd be a long shot, but since I know I'll likely be in position at LHR 21hrs before my flight I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work I'll fall back to the original plan of a hotel and taking my planned 7.30 flight.

WineCountryUA Jun 19, 2019 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31218241)
Yes.

Also, the day before is becoming problematic even with space available with the App -- try online and calling before concluding a no-go.

FlyingHighlander Jun 19, 2019 8:54 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31218459)
Also, the day before is becoming problematic even with space available with the App -- try online and calling before concluding a no-go.

Thanks, I will do. As soon as i touch down at LHR I'll try the App, then continue with other methods if that fails.

Kacee Jun 19, 2019 9:16 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander (Post 31218407)
Thanks. I assumed it'd be a long shot, but since I know I'll likely be in position at LHR 21hrs before my flight I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work I'll fall back to the original plan of a hotel and taking my planned 7.30 flight.

If you'll be LHR that day already, that makes it significantly more practical than usual.

FlyingHighlander Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Can anyone tell why this flight suddenly disappeared from being available to book?

SMF-IAD UA822. Aug 9, 0815-1613

Expert flyer shows plenty of available seats, but every fare class is zeroed out. It was strange - before lunch it was a normal price to book/plenty seats, but now it's gone (before I had a chance to book). I'm not sure if theres somewhere on EF that a reason may be stated?
Did UA delete the flight and move pax to others?

findark Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Seems to be zeroed out on all days.. this is a common precursor to them dropping the flight, but could also be a glitch or bug, or they could change their mind. I would keep a close eye on your PNR.

FlyingHighlander Jun 20, 2019 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31223289)
Seems to be zeroed out on all days.. this is a common precursor to them dropping the flight, but could also be a glitch or bug, or they could change their mind. I would keep a close eye on your PNR.

Thanks. My post wasn't clear - I didn't actually book the flight (I had intended to but it was gone when I went to book). I booked an alternative with a connection, so I'm now SMF-SFO-IAD.