FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949505-have-simple-question-about-united-airlines-mileageplus-ask-here-2019-a.html)

lamphs Jul 21, 2019 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 31327656)
The only airline, other than UA, that I fly domestically is WN. On UA, when getting ready to land, there is the announcement 'all services items must be collected or put away'. Is the must a FAA requirement or is it because the FAs want to ensure the plane is generally free of discarded passenger items.? I don't recall hearing this announcement, at least not recently, on WN.

I can bring my coffee from the UC onboard and drink it throughout the flight; I can bring food on board and eat throughout the flight. In other words, service items are perfectly OK at take-off. So it must not be a safety-related item. Is it?

Was not a criticism - just a question as to the 'must' wording. I always am ready to provide cups, newspapers, etc. when the FA walks by no matter the airline.

UAL250 Jul 21, 2019 8:43 pm

This is a stupid and noobish question, but I have to ask it.

I am looking at possibly two separate tickets due to the price of IAD-xxx (intl)-IAD:
1) IAD-xxx with the return being xxx-ORD
2) ORD-IAD same day as xxx-ORD on the separate ticket

I have never done this before, so excuse this being such a dumb question, but is this OK? I'm not talking about the risk of missing the ORD-IAD flight, I'm not really worried about that since it's so short, cheap, and close to DC, but I am talking about if UA cares? It's obvious I'm doing this to save money, but UA doesn't care if I do this right? I'm just paranoid for no real reason I think...

Thanks.

FlyingHighlander Jul 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250 (Post 31328116)
This is a stupid and noobish question, but I have to ask it.

I don't know the answer to your question (i am interested to know, though).

I had a similar scenario for an upcoming trip (TPAC in Business). IAD is my home airport but the prices were almost double what I ended up with (seems typical of IAD/DC area at least for what I have needed). I could have done what you're doing but in the end I sort of split the difference and I'm flying EWR-XXX-EWR for a good price. It just means I have to drive 3.5hrs to EWR instead of my usual 1.5hrs to IAD but that's still more time efficient than separate short hop on one or both sides of the TPAC. Have you looked at an EWR price?

mahasamatman Jul 21, 2019 9:23 pm

I am looking at possibly two separate tickets due to the price of IAD-xxx (intl)-IAD

I don't see any issue with that - it's just an open jaw and a one-way. No back-to-back, end-on-end, or hidden city. Have you tried getting those flights using the multi-city search?

UAL250 Jul 21, 2019 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31328177)
I don't see any issue with that - it's just an open jaw and a one-way. No back-to-back, end-on-end, or hidden city. Have you tried getting those flights using the multi-city search?

I have, it's still significantly more expensive. Doing it IAD-NRT-ORD (with a separate ticket for ORD-IAD on the same day as the NRT-ORD leg) is much cheaper than IAD-NRT-IAD. You can leave or come in out of IAD for one ticket, but you can't both fly out of and into IAD for Tokyo it appears without paying a premium. It's frustrating, but I understand why (no competition unlike Chicago/NY/LA/SFO, DEN and IAH have the same issue as IAD). It's just funny to see IAD-NRT-BKK-NRT-IAD at $800 while IAD-NRT-IAD is almost $3,000.

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander (Post 31328132)
I don't know the answer to your question (i am interested to know, though).

I had a similar scenario for an upcoming trip (TPAC in Business). IAD is my home airport but the prices were almost double what I ended up with (seems typical of IAD/DC area at least for what I have needed). I could have done what you're doing but in the end I sort of split the difference and I'm flying EWR-XXX-EWR for a good price. It just means I have to drive 3.5hrs to EWR instead of my usual 1.5hrs to IAD but that's still more time efficient than separate short hop on one or both sides of the TPAC. Have you looked at an EWR price?

I have looked into EWR, but ORD had R/PZ space for the dates I want. I have a feeling we're talking about the same city lol (Tokyo?). If I did EWR I would likely just take the train, but the EWR flight to NRT leaves pretty early, so I'd have to leave DC at 5am or so on Amtrak, not something I really want to do.

FlyingHighlander Jul 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250 (Post 31328212)
You can leave or come in out of IAD for one ticket, but you can't both fly out of and into IAD for Tokyo it appears without paying a premium.

That's exactly what I have found, at least for TPAC. Doesn't seem so bad with TATL.

Originally Posted by UAL250 (Post 31328212)
I have a feeling we're talking about the same city lol (Tokyo?). If I did EWR I would likely just take the train, but the EWR flight to NRT leaves pretty early, so I'd have to leave DC at 5am or so on Amtrak, not something I really want to do.

Yep :D. At least partially. I return from NRT. My full 3-segment UA long haul trip is EWR-PVG, SIN-HND, NRT-EWR. (Switching EWR with IAD on both ends turns a $3800 ticket into a $8000 one)
I'm lucky in that my employer allows me to rent a car, drive up and stay the night before the next days morning flight to PVG. Still major saving vs the IAD option.

AsiaTravel2019 Jul 21, 2019 10:43 pm

GPUs

I have 6 GPU's that expire 1/31/2020.

Assuming I don't re-qualify for 1K next year, can I use those upgrades for travel planned well into 2020 as long as it is booked by 1/31/2020?

TIA.

WineCountryUA Jul 21, 2019 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 31328309)
.... Assuming I don't re-qualify for 1K next year, can I use those upgrades for travel planned well into 2020 as long as it is booked by 1/31/2020?....

No.
The GPUs will only be useable for a flight departing before expiration. The GPUs will not show up when the departure is past their expiration. And you will not be eligible to extend the expiration if you do not requalify for 1K.

AsiaTravel2019 Jul 21, 2019 10:58 pm

Got it. I understand now. It won't even show up.

WineCountryUA Jul 21, 2019 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 31328336)
Got it. I understand now. It won't even show up.

correct, you will not be able to apply the GPU in the first place for a flight past the expiration date.

AsiaTravel2019 Jul 21, 2019 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31328344)
correct, you will not be able to apply the GPU in the first place for a flight past the expiration date.

I gotta hurry up and spend these 6 upgrades in the next 6 months. I will check for PZ availability.

jsloan Jul 21, 2019 11:52 pm

I'm not really worried about that since it's so short, cheap, and close to DC, but I am talking about if UA cares? It's obvious I'm doing this to save money, but UA doesn't care if I do this right? I'm just paranoid for no real reason I think...

Surely, UA would prefer that you paid them twice the fare. :) But, no, you won't get in trouble for doing this. In fact, they'll even check luggage through on separately-purchased UA tickets, which they certainly wouldn't do if they intended to ban the practice.

physioprof Jul 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 31327787)
Was not a criticism - just a question as to the 'must' wording. I always am ready to provide cups, newspapers, etc. when the FA walks by no matter the airline.

I think you may be reading more into this wording than is warranted. TBH, I don't recall them ever saying "must", and the wording I am ost familiar with is "The flight attendants will be coming through the cabin to pick up any remaining service items to prepare the plane for landing." The only thing I've heard them say with "must" is "All large electronic devices must be unplugged, turned off, and stowed for landing."

lamphs Jul 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 31330855)
I think you may be reading more into this wording than is warranted. TBH, I don't recall them ever saying "must", and the wording I am ost familiar with is "The flight attendants will be coming through the cabin to pick up any remaining service items to prepare the plane for landing." The only thing I've heard them say with "must" is "All large electronic devices must be unplugged, turned off, and stowed for landing."

On my past four mainline flights, the words "remaining service items must be collected or stowed" were clearly used; caught my attention. I have also certainly heard your quote many times over the years.

Again, not a criticism. When I hear the word 'must', specifically at work, the direction is coming from a higher authority. My point was whether or not the FAA thought it was safe to drink hot coffee on takeoff, but not on landing. But it seems that various versions of the wording are simply to keep the cabin clean, which I am all for!

psychoidiot Jul 22, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by psychoidiot (Post 31322309)
Sorry- My issue was earlier in the thread where the UA DID put me on that HK-CAN flight but didn't tell me, so that messed up my outbound flight. I thought I was going to have to stay an extra day but an hour long phone call fixed it. My question is that I should be trusting what the united.com reservations says then?? At the time of the original request of putting me on the HKG-CAN flight, it was there but when I called to confirm (since I was hung up on while rep was confirming this), the next CSR told me that I was not confirmed and it would drop off (I am about to get on my plane to HKG at this point). and the Supervisor confirmed the same. Seeing as both of them were wrong, should I have just tried when I landed at HKG? I collected my luggage and checked in and didn't get boarding passes at ORD for the HKG-CAN flight. I didn't make an attempt at HKG airport to check since I didn't want to miss the bus. So angry, the United care Representative did offer a $300 voucher for the issue but if I didn't have a crap ton of points lying around, I would have just flown Hainan and never fly United if I don't have to, so frustrating.

So they offered me 25k miles or $300 voucher - is there any other option I can ask the representative for? I still have a voucher that haven't used because you can't use it on taxes/fees or baggages (even though I got because of a baggage issue).