FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949505-have-simple-question-about-united-airlines-mileageplus-ask-here-2019-a.html)

jsloan May 30, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Daneel (Post 31153525)
- Is free first checked bag based on my Mileageplus status at the time of booking or travel? I expect my status to expire before I travel, perhaps dropping down to just "member"
- The T&Cs I can find appear to indicate that the free checked bag applies only to flights operated by United, yet the information in my account currently is in conflict with that, suggesting I do have a free checked bag even though the fight is operated by Air Canada.
- Any differences in application to my mother who has no status with either United or Air Canada?

Thanks!

The last I checked, Air Canada award tickets were still being treated as "Flex," meaning that they get one bag free regardless of status. You should probably follow up on their forum though.

Originally Posted by dalameda (Post 31153700)
Has united done away with its saver availability in advance of changing to a dynamic award pricing? i am trying to book award tickets for 4 in J for March 28, 2020 SFO IAD (nothing like planning ahead) but see nothing. Do they release saver closer to the flight or am I just SOL.

There's a good chance that they will never release four J tickets on the same flight for SFO-IAD. Those cabins tend to fill up with paid customers. This isn't really new, or related to the dynamic pricing -- you would have had a hard time for March 28, 2019, or 2018, or 2017...

Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL (Post 31153718)
Good afternoon all! Quick question: if I cancel a United award does it 1) auto kick back to inventory 2) delayed kick back to inventory 3) sometimes it never shows up again....my predicament: i needed to book a United Polaris flight with an infant ticket and made a rookie infant booking mistake of sending my Amex points to Lifemiles ( infant is 10% of fare) to book the adult flight instead of AirCanada (only a flat 10k or $100 fee)...current business class fare for flight is a tad under $10,000!! I am still within the 24hr cancelation bubble/booking window...thank you!

Sadly, the answer is #3 . It may or may not ever come back.

mahasamatman May 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31153739)
There's a good chance that they will never release four J tickets on the same flight for SFO-IAD.

These days, it's rare for United to release even one J seat on a domestic itinerary.

ChuckieB Jun 1, 2019 11:00 am

Sorry, been offline a while working on a house. Those fare codes came from the UA website.

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31104022)
You used nautical miles instead of statute miles, so the values are all low. The multipliers seem correct if the NZ tickets actually booked into UA J. (I'm surprised that would have been the case). Z is a discount business fare class on NZ just like it is on UA.

Of course, only the UA PQM will generally qualify for a status match, but I think you know that.

PS: I should clarify -- when you list these fare classes, what's your source? And, if it's the NZ receipt, are they using UA or NZ flight numbers? This makes a big difference. If your outbound is UA flight numbers -- UA J class -- you're going to get 300%. If it's a NZ flight number, you're going to get 150-200%, depending upon the UA fare class that NZ J maps to.

Thanks for the clarifying questions and for pointing out S vs NM, didn't realize they used SM to calculate distances. Yes, I know the NZ flights won't count for status match, but they will count for making 1K for next year, right?

All fare details are from the UA website, flight numbers are:

ORD-SFO UA248, J
SFO- SYD UA863, J
SYD-AKL NZ104, Z
AKL-SFO NZ8, Z
SFO-ORD UA1140, Z

mahasamatman Jun 1, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ChuckieB (Post 31160526)
I know the NZ flights won't count for status match, but they will count for making 1K for next year, right?

Yes, they will. (And to convert nm to sm, just multiple by 1.15.)

Firewind Jun 1, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31153739)
There's a good chance that they will never release four J tickets on the same flight for SFO-IAD. Those cabins tend to fill up with paid customers. This isn't really new, or related to the dynamic pricing -- you would have had a hard time for March 28, 2019, or 2018, or 2017...

...It may or may not ever come back.

1) It's (at least virtually) impossible on all airlines to book two Business or First Class award tickets on the same PNR. They believe it's too big a risk to them. Sometimes a workaround is to make multiple separate reservations, but then there's the obvious risk to the passengers of being seated separately, and the much larger risk of different passengers being treated - very - differently in IRROPS.
2) To jsloan, isn't it fairly easy to remedy this with a CR human?

jsloan Jun 2, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ChuckieB (Post 31160485)
ORD-SFO UA248, J
SFO- SYD UA863, J
SYD-AKL NZ104, Z
AKL-SFO NZ8, Z
SFO-ORD UA1140, Z

OK; in that case, you’ve got the multipliers correct.

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 31161354)
1) It's (at least virtually) impossible on all airlines to book two Business or First Class award tickets on the same PNR. They believe it's too big a risk to them. Sometimes a workaround is to make multiple separate reservations, but then there's the obvious risk to the passengers of being seated separately, and the much larger risk of different passengers being treated - very - differently in IRROPS.
2) To jsloan, isn't it fairly easy to remedy this with a CR human?

I don’t think it has anything to do with risk; it’s merely a matter of inventory. There are some airlines and some routes where it’s easy to book multiple award tickets. However, hub-to-hub on UA isn’t one of them. UA does not have a policy of releasing Saver award space on every flight.
As for your second point — UA reps can hold UA space. However, in this case, the question was about cancelling a UA award ticket booked with one partner airline and rebooking with another. In that scenario, you’re going to have to rely on the inventory as seen by the computer.

Kacee Jun 2, 2019 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 31161354)
1) It's (at least virtually) impossible on all airlines to book two Business or First Class award tickets on the same PNR.

That's 100% incorrect. If an airline (e.g., UA) releases two or more seats, they can be booked on a single PNR.

FTA Jun 2, 2019 9:44 pm

Do any of the lounges at O'hare have more than just snacks? Any with sandwiches? Even international reward business tickets get free lounge access correct? Thank you

mahasamatman Jun 2, 2019 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by FTA (Post 31164564)
Even international reward business tickets get free lounge access correct?

Yes.

WineCountryUA Jun 2, 2019 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by FTA (Post 31164564)
Do any of the lounges at O'hare have more than just snacks? Any with sandwiches? Even reward business tickets get free lounge access correct? Thank you

Yes
The UCs have hot "entrees" for breakfast and dinner, soup/salads most of the dinner -- without status or membership - departing international business qualifies or arriving/connecting UA international business. Not domestic

The Polaris Lounge -- for departing International Business (but not AC) or departing / arriving / connecting Polaris class tickets.

What is your business class award ticket -- carrier and routing?

FTA Jun 2, 2019 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31164580)
The Polaris Lounge -- for departing International Business (but not AC) or departing / arriving / connecting Polaris class tickets.

What is your business class award ticket -- carrier and routing?

I just have the Explorers card so I don't qualify for the Polaris lounge correct? Haven't booked the ticket yet but will be flying direct from the US to PEK on United

WineCountryUA Jun 2, 2019 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by FTA (Post 31164599)
I just have the Explorers card so I don't qualify for the Polaris lounge correct? ...

Nope, no UC either

Originally Posted by FTA (Post 31164599)
Haven't booked the ticket yet but will be flying direct from the US to PEK on United

If in Polaris Business, you would have Polaris Lounge access
Polaris lounge has hot buffet and seatdown service with a small menu.

FTA Jun 2, 2019 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31164607)
Nope, no UC either

I know the Explorer card won't give me lounge access but the reward business ticket would right?

WineCountryUA Jun 2, 2019 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by FTA (Post 31164624)
I know the Explorer card won't give me lounge access but the reward business ticket would right?

Yes a Polaris Cabin (which is ORD-PEK business would be) UA reward ticket has Polaris Lounge access (or UC)

Kacee Jun 3, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31164580)
Yes
The UCs have hot "entrees" for breakfast and dinner, soup/salads most of the dinner

Hot entrees? At SFO? You mean something other than soup?