Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elevated Risk for Chinese Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu

One cannot have both US and Chinese passports. If you want to renew Chinese passport, you have to provide a green card.
While inconvenient, there are ways around this which typically involve booking entirely separate tickets with a stopover in a 3rd country. If you renew your Chinese passport, do it outside of the US and China.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
There are 3 main categories of dual PRC/US (or most other foreign countries) nationals:

Category 1: A 1996 interpretation of the Chinese nationality law decrees that a Chinese national of HK/Macau residency remains a Chinese national until he/she renounces it with their respective SAR government.

Category 2: A ROC national with Taiwan residency (even with foreign nationality) can acquire a Taibaozheng to travel to the Mainland and will be treated as a PRC national.

Category 3: A baby born abroad and acquire that country's nationality (e.g. US, Canada, but not Japan) of at least one parent not a resident abroad (e.g. tourist, student) remains a dual national until a certain age (when they are supposed to decide). This category is mostly still very young.

If you think I wrote something wrong in the 3 paragraphs above, then you don't understand the issue. The USDOS knows what they're doing when they say dual. It's mostly about Category 1, maybe 2.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Miggles
If you renew your Chinese passport, do it outside of the US and China.
This is just wishful thinking. Chinese embassy in a third country likely refuses to take the application. If an application is taken, the embassy will search a lot of database before the approval.
Chinese government collects a lot of data when you apply for visa and other travel documents. So, the sucesss rate of renewing a Chinese passport in a third country is likely low.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Then suffice to say that if you are travelling on an illegal Chinese Passport (acquired US passport and didn't give up Chinese) then you are at an elevated risk of travel to begin with because every time you enter, you are using an illegal document (old Chinese passport that you should have given up but not yet expired). For the rest of the nobodies like myself, I do not foresee any elevated risk for going to Shanghai for the week as a tourist.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Closed for Moderator Review

The relevance to UA forum is minimal and OMNI content is high

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.