Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC

I actually cleared into PN despite using a 1k GPU...
That is not typical, use to "gift' my 1K GPUs to my nephew all the time and he would complain when they didn't clear into PN. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong as I am new to GS as well.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomad420
That is not typical, use to "gift' my 1K GPUs to my nephew all the time and he would complain when they didn't clear into PN. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong as I am new to GS as well.
Correct -- not normal, but there were some reports of it durning the R -> PZ transition.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I asked a few months ago. The answer is yes, UA metal always count for PQD, regardless of ticket stock. Some GS members qualify mainly on RTW tickets.
Curious about the RTW statement. A small backstory - I was GS for ~5 yrs, moved to SE Asia and UA became too hard to fly so defected to CX/OW. Now that I've been back in the US for the last 2 years, I've worked my way back up from no status to 1K, and now I'm trying to get my head around if working back to GS is worth it/possible or not.

The primary issue is RTW flights as I do usually 3-4 a year in C on top of my other TPAC and US flights. As a 1K, I've been doing all of my TATL flights on LH and about 1/2 of my TPACs have been on NH as its a nicer ride and the directs to MUC/FRA ex-BOS are much easier for my calendar.

The decision I need to make is do I push as much of my spend onto UA to work back to GS or not. Essentially, my question is that my RTW tickets are booked through UA, but usually only the TPAC leg is on UA metal. The rest of the RTW are other carriers, so does only the UA leg count towards GS spend or does the entire RTW cost (~$11k per ticket) count towards GS?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Yes is the answer. Only UA metal on 016 ticket stock booked on UA flights counts towards GS. That is the consensus.

Not sure what your RTW trips are but in 2019 UA will again offer RTW service if you are flying SFO-DEL-EWR-SFO. I have been GS for a few years - worth it if you fly UA a lot but if you don't I would wonder?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Originally Posted by adambrau
Yes is the answer. Only UA metal on 016 ticket stock booked on UA flights counts towards GS. That is the consensus.

Not sure what your RTW trips are but in 2019 UA will again offer RTW service if you are flying SFO-DEL-EWR-SFO. I have been GS for a few years - worth it if you fly UA a lot but if you don't I would wonder?
Great, thanks for the clear answer. Its what I assumed but had hoped I was wrong.

My RTW are always BOS-a bunch of cities in Europe-SIN/HKG/TPE-BOS. The EU-Asia is obviously not UA, so I usually do LH to get 200% PQM's for C, and Asia-US is UA or NH. I usually do BOS-EU on LH or TK because its easier out of BOS. I could switch all my TATLs and TPAC to UA only to drive up the UA spend, but not sure its worth the pain.

I completely agree on your point of asking whether GS is worth it, but I do a lot of US travel on UA as well, and as a 1K out of BOS, upgrades are tough. So, I miss my GS days.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by bostonpilot
Great, thanks for the clear answer. Its what I assumed but had hoped I was wrong.

My RTW are always BOS-a bunch of cities in Europe-SIN/HKG/TPE-BOS. The EU-Asia is obviously not UA, so I usually do LH to get 200% PQM's for C, and Asia-US is UA or NH. I usually do BOS-EU on LH or TK because its easier out of BOS. I could switch all my TATLs and TPAC to UA only to drive up the UA spend, but not sure its worth the pain.

I completely agree on your point of asking whether GS is worth it, but I do a lot of US travel on UA as well, and as a 1K out of BOS, upgrades are tough. So, I miss my GS days.
I pay for my tickets and I live in NYC about 25 minutes to EWR by Uber. If access to EWR wasn't so easy, and all my flights didn't O/D out of/into EWR, I probably wouldn't be loyal to UA. It's such a great airport product for me that I have stuck with UA. But if I wasn't in a UA hub (like BOS) I know I would find the extra connections via EWR/IAD/ORD annoying especially after long international flights. I think you are doing it right!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by adambrau
I am not sure this is 100% acurate. Over the years United has consistently said that United operated flights credited to Mileage Plus are tracked for GS. Flights on United metal do not need to be on United ticket stock but do need to be credited to Mileage Plus. Any other metal or any United flights not credited to Mileage Plus do not count.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
I am not sure this is 100% acurate. Over the years United has consistently said that United operated flights credited to Mileage Plus are tracked for GS. Flights on United metal do not need to be on United ticket stock but do need to be credited to Mileage Plus. Any other metal or any United flights not credited to Mileage Plus do not count.
A consensus doesn't mean 100%!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Also I saw above that as GS I get a couple of instruments, is this the case and if so what do you receive (RPUs? GPUs?) and how many? Thanks to all again.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 26, 2019 at 2:52 pm Reason: split post
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I wonder if the decrease in RPU / GPU accrual this year will result in more op ups on TPAC / TATL / PS in 2020 once the dust settles. I see instances where these flights oversell and the upgrade list usually takes care of it... but now that the likelihood that far fewer will be on these upgrade lists, there will be some "CPU's" in the form of op-ups..... would be nice!!
IMHO, there won't be much change on TATL/TPAC op-ups, as GPU accrual will not be limited, while RPU accural gets cut down to 4 certs max.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Correct. The GS pax must be in a purchased business class fare to force an additional seat from XN-PN or force IN or force W-PN (I believe there must still be one seat remaining in inventory after the conversion for the agent to be allowed to do this).

Converting T-XN... the GS pax must be traveling on the same itinerary (doesn't matter what class of service) to do this conversion now.
An agent yesterday insisted there was no “double conversion allowed for companions” ... with me on a D fare to Europe, she would only let me either a) convert T>XN and waitlist a GPU; b) open up Saver business; c) convert J>PN in order to clear a GPU. She specifically would not convert T>XN and then also clear my GPU, as she claimed it was a forbidden double conversion. She read directly from the (now infamous) December 12th memo. I just asked her to ticket in XN, which she did. I then did HUCA and next agent applied and cleared the GPUs instantly. Still so confusing.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
I completely agree. I believe the consensus agrees with your statement. The other statement about consensus imo is incorrect.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by greenpau
An agent yesterday insisted there was no “double conversion allowed for companions” ... with me on a D fare to Europe, she would only let me either a) convert T>XN and waitlist a GPU; b) open up Saver business; c) convert J>PN in order to clear a GPU. She specifically would not convert T>XN and then also clear my GPU, as she claimed it was a forbidden double conversion. She read directly from the (now infamous) December 12th memo. I just asked her to ticket in XN, which she did. I then did HUCA and next agent applied and cleared the GPUs instantly. Still so confusing.
Amazing. I did once have someone say that you can only convert T>XN if the GS member is flying paid business. But I have had multiple agents over the last year do the "double conversion" when I had a paid biz ticket. In fact, I can't ever remember anybody saying no.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Also I saw above that as GS I get a couple of instruments, is this the case and if so what do you receive (RPUs? GPUs?) and how many? Thanks to all again.
You get no additional upgrade instruments from becoming a GS -- but the ones you have are more valuable as they clear into PN
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:56 pm

T-XN conversion for dummies. OK, so much discussion about this above. Let me ask what to some is a dumb question. Is the conversion this, as a GS pax if you see T space available they (GS agent) can/will convert it an Elite Saver ticket for purchase with miles?? Per the above posts you then may or may not then be allowed to apply an instrument to it, at least not immediately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.