Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
In mid July, I have booked a YVR-LAX mid-day flight on a 737 that has "Snack" listed for the front cabin in a >3 hour block time. According to the web page that should be a full meal. Is this a glitch, or a further cutback in front cabin meal service?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire
EWR- LAX 78X 01/09/19

Dinner Menu

Drink list

​​​​​​seared beef short rib
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
That's certainly a very.... geometric... presentation.
flaii, wxguy and jcatman like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Scleaver
EWR- LAX 78X 01/09/19

Dinner Menu

Drink list

​​​​​​seared beef short rib
While the plating itself isn't very appealing, the plate itself looks nicer than the Polaris casserole dish.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Very interesting (pathetic) drab gray color to that "sear"...
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Very interesting (pathetic) drab gray color to that "sear"...
My first thought was that it was a brownie ...

That whole meal looks very unappealing.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:13 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
New low for me yesterday on LAX-CLE in F. Flight was listed as a lunch service. I requested a Vegetarian (lacto-ovo) special meal. I wasn't expecting MUCH, but I don't eat beef and in the past have had to pick my way around the burger. Turns out I should have just eaten the standard meal which were both chicken (thai coconut chicken or cobb salad with chicken).

My vegetarian meal consisted of, on a single tray:
- A bowl of romaine lettuce with lemon wedge (no dressing in sight)
- A plate with two rock hard pieces of vegetable sushi (no soy sauce in sight)
- A packaged ice cold dinner roll
- The vegan, gluten free cookies that are part of most special meal trays
- And the main event...a plate of Indian curry rice with a tofu bean burrito and enchilada sauce

I don't know how anyone in catering could assemble this and think "that's a meal." At the very least include the soy sauce and salad dressing. But why do they insist on putting a bean burrito and curry rice on the same plate? It's the second time I've had this combo with UA (last was LAX-HNL for dinner).

Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:05 pm

I'm about 45 minutes away from hopping on an 8:40 pm flight from Boston to San Francisco. I am traveling in E+. Are there any snacks or meal service?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by iker
I'm about 45 minutes away from hopping on an 8:40 pm flight from Boston to San Francisco. I am traveling in E+. Are there any snacks or meal service?
Yes. You will either get a tray meal or a tray snack.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:13 pm

Thank you, Dilanesp. Appreciate the quick turnaround.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Just had the pesto chicken for the 10th+ time this year SLC-ORD. For the first time, the cheesecake was served not on the dinner tray but rather the FA handed out slices as a dessert course after everyone finished eating.

The pesto chicken was cold
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1kBill
My first thought was that it was a brownie ...

That whole meal looks very unappealing.
I bet the polenta and kale weren't bad tasting (blurry look aside). The short rib stands up to airplane galleys, but it sure doesn't look appealing. Does look like the plater might be a recent releasee from Riker Island's kitchen detail. Only thing missing is the compartmentalized tray.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dll
New low for me yesterday on LAX-CLE in F. Flight was listed as a lunch service. I requested a Vegetarian (lacto-ovo) special meal. I wasn't expecting MUCH, but I don't eat beef and in the past have had to pick my way around the burger. Turns out I should have just eaten the standard meal which were both chicken (thai coconut chicken or cobb salad with chicken).

My vegetarian meal consisted of, on a single tray:
- A bowl of romaine lettuce with lemon wedge (no dressing in sight)
- A plate with two rock hard pieces of vegetable sushi (no soy sauce in sight)
- A packaged ice cold dinner roll
- The vegan, gluten free cookies that are part of most special meal trays
- And the main event...a plate of Indian curry rice with a tofu bean burrito and enchilada sauce

I don't know how anyone in catering could assemble this and think "that's a meal." At the very least include the soy sauce and salad dressing. But why do they insist on putting a bean burrito and curry rice on the same plate? It's the second time I've had this combo with UA (last was LAX-HNL for dinner).

It almost seems like some catering pencil pusher goes:" Let's make it as barely edible as we can, so nobody will order it! "
dll likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I bet the polenta and kale weren't bad tasting (blurry look aside). The short rib stands up to airplane galleys, but it sure doesn't look appealing. Does look like the plater might be a recent releasee from Riker Island's kitchen detail. Only thing missing is the compartmentalized tray.
And a spork!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
ORDFAT
DEP: 1900
EQP: 319

Was surprised to see UA had a nonstop ORDFAT, on mainline no less. Upgrade cleared in advance, and judging by the makeup of the cabin, didn't seem to be an elite heavy route.

Choices were pepperoni calzone, or cheese ravioli. Interestingly enough, the ravioli was served in a large bowl, which based on the quantity/quality/presentation looked closer to what Polaris meals were when it launched.....no casserole dishes and I watched the FA plate the ravioli for each tray, rather than pre-plated casserole dishes. When domestic F actually has better presentation than Polaris, something doesn't seem right. FA asked if I wanted parmesan cheese on the ravioli; expected powdered cheap stuff but turned out to be shaved parmesan which surprised me.

Ravioli was in a lemon flavored olive oil with an odd assortment of unidentifiable vegetables. Couldn't tell if it was squash or potato, but tasted earthy.

Will upload pics later, but probably one of the better F domestic meals I've had in a while.
narvik and tstauck like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.