Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using UA miles for Asiana ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Using UA miles for Asiana ticket

I am trying to use UA miles for tickets on Asiana, both within Asia and back to the US. When I look at ANA I can find availability for some flights I'd want but when I look on the website, and call UA (and check Aeroplan's website) none of them show the same flights as available. Does ANA have greater availability using Asiana? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Probably phantom availability on the NH (ANA) website. If two of the three main booking platforms (UA, AC, NH) show no space, chances are space displayed on the third (in this case, NH) is phantom (i.e., it doesn't really exist).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

That is what I would think except that calling ANA they are able to actually ticket tis.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1k
I've been seeing this happen also with TAP and other airlines. I wonder if it is the flood of credit card points on UA that is making other Star carriers limit UA access to their inventory.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrt88
I've been seeing this happen also with TAP and other airlines. I wonder if it is the flood of credit card points on UA that is making other Star carriers limit UA access to their inventory.
It is believed that *A partners pull the award inventory from Starnet (and hence the phantom inventory issue seen by many programs) and not from the partner directly, so blocking by the operating carrier would have to be at the purchase point (as SQ did at one time), not at the search.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

It is odd because I wouldn't say it is phantom availability, since ANA can actually ticket Asiana seats that United isn't showing. This is for both a flight in August from ICN-JFK and also flights intra-Asia.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
I've booked two TPAC flights in the past on Asiana through ANA -- both of which showed as not available both on United and expertflyer. Didn't really check AC. But it was ticketed by NH and I flew it without issues.

In the above instance there was availability +/- a few days on NH but nothing on UA/EF.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it seems to be like UA has significantly less ability to book Asiana and ANA seats than does ANA. I ticketed my seats with no problem using ANA miles but was never able to with UA miles, either by phone or online. It is clear this isn't ANA seeing phantom availability, more United blocking or being blocked from issuing Asiana/ANA tickets in certain instances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.