Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does gender influence GS invitations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From a business perspective, we're always told that most (coach) passengers just buy the cheapest ticket, so AA's concern should focus on having its GS population and premium cabins look however will best induce higher revenue (profits and stock market value), which might involve having those premium cabins and GS membership look as "exclusive" as possible.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I guess United needs to institute a policy where only 50% of front-cabin seats can be assigned to males.

This thread, and the initial observation/suggestion, is just woefully misguided.

Advancement/opportunities at work or business provided to non-white-males is what will increase their representation in United front cabins and the MP Premier levels. The reverse - increasing their representation in the front cabin or in the ranks of MP Premiers "just because" - will not beget opportunities at work/business.

Unlike Augusta Country Club (in the past) where admission was denied because one was black or female (even though otherwise qualified), United has no such policy.
chavala likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 31, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Advancement/opportunities at work or business provided to non-white males is what will increase their representation in United front cabins and the MP Premier levels. Increasing their representation in the front cabin or in the ranks of MP Premiers "just because" will not beget opportunities at work/business.
The OP's premise is that United wants its front cabins to be less white and less male. It doesn't necessarily follow that United wants to wait five or 10 or 20 years for further workplace progress to occur so that the front-cabin demographics change on their own.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
The OP's premise ...
Just to be clear, OP's observation, based on a sample size of 2, is speculation.
And then the additional speculation on the causation.

Feels we are pretty far out on the limb with this one.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Now putting on the Moderator Hat

While there is great temptation to take this take to the great view outside of UA, that would suggest this is no longer a UA topic. To keep this in the UA forum, we need to focus the discussion on UA related issues and not wander into areas better suited for the OMNI forums.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just to be clear, OP's observation, based on a sample size of 2, is speculation.
And then the additional speculation on the causation.

Feels we are pretty far out on the limb with this one.
The OP went "far out on the limb" to suggest a major U.S. company might be interested in accelerating diversity in its elite ranks?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The OP went "far out on the limb" to suggest a major U.S. company might be interested in accelerating diversity in its elite ranks?
YES
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:26 pm
Suspended

I guess you've never watched a United onboard video.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:40 pm

Please. We know United cares a lot about diversity just from glancing at the onboard videos, let alone corporate's political activities. The idea that such concerns/goals couldn't bleed into other areas is incredibly naive.
Given that United flies to a hundred odd international destinations, and their passengers are not simply a subset of Americans, one would hope their safety videos show some diversity.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bman1002
Given that United flies to a hundred odd international destinations, and their passengers are not simply a subset of Americans, one would hope their safety videos show some diversity.
By this logic, why wouldn't "one hope" that the front cabins be more diverse? Why would it be a no-brainer for United to take action in one area but "disgusting," as someone above called it, for people to speculate that United might take action in another area?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
By this logic, why wouldn't "one hope" that the front cabins be more diverse? Why would it be a no-brainer for United to take action in one area but "disgusting," as someone above called it, for people to speculate that United might take action in another area?
Wouldn't it be illegal to treat people differently based on gender?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
All the OP asked is if it's possible UA is implementing any sort of "affirmative action" in terms of GS qualification. Forget the sample size of two. It's a question that's relevant to business decisions United, or any other company, *might* make. And I think it's been pretty clearly explained why it's not something that United, or any other airline at least, *would* do.

If having to walk through a first class cabin dominated by white males was an issue, I'd think the first way an airline might address that would be by avoiding those in coach having to go through the "walk of shame." Look for ways to board through different doors, or board in the middle, with first class turning left, coach turning right (as is the case already with some planes). But I don't think it's an issue, and further, I've seen increasing diversity in long-haul F. Not so much domestically. But small sample size!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wouldn't it be illegal to treat people differently based on gender?
Given that GS has no published qualifying terms, good luck proving such a thing, if it was occurring.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I find this an amusing thread, reflective of the current affirmative action environment in the USA. It is quite possible the OP is correct.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
All the OP asked is if it's possible UA is implementing any sort of "affirmative action" in terms of GS qualification. Forget the sample size of two. It's a question that's relevant to business decisions United, or any other company, *might* make. And I think it's been pretty clearly explained why it's not something that United, or any other airline at least, *would* do.

If having to walk through a first class cabin dominated by white males was an issue, I'd think the first way an airline might address that would be by avoiding those in coach having to go through the "walk of shame." Look for ways to board through different doors, or board in the middle, with first class turning left, coach turning right (as is the case already with some planes). But I don't think it's an issue, and further, I've seen increasing diversity in long-haul F. Not so much domestically. But small sample size!
That could motivate UA to be much more firm in preventing coach passengers from using premium cabin lavatories, but OTOH it would mean that GS could no longer board first, not could FC be assigned to a particular zone. Or maybe UA could sell premium cabins and give upgrades with a condition that the person fly with a paper bag on their head covering face and hair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.