FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Asking for specific hotel during MX IRROPS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1948054-asking-specific-hotel-during-mx-irrops.html)

davie355 Dec 29, 18 9:12 am

Asking for specific hotel during MX IRROPS?
 
I misconnected last night due to aircraft maintenance. A UA agent gave me a voucher for a hotel that was mediocre, to put it generously. I didn't ask -- but do people have any luck requesting specific brands or properties?

The last time I misconnected and got stuck overnight, I booked a hotel of my choice and submitted the receipt to customer care. I was reimbursed in the form of travel credit. But this time I did not feel like taking my chances with reimbursement.

emcampbe Dec 29, 18 10:13 am

Never a good idea to take chances with reimbursement.

It's been a while since I've been forced to overnight, but usually I try and nicely ask what the options are, and I can't remember ever being denied a choice of what they have. Sometimes they've proactively said "I can put you at the Marriott or the Holiday Inn" or whatever. Depending on where I am, I might be bold and ask for something specific. At ORD, for example, I'll almost always ask for the Hilton, especially if the kids are with me. It's always easier to walk down the hall than have to schlep onto a shuttle, especially with the kids (and their stuff) in tow. I can't remember ever being denied a request.

gcashin Dec 29, 18 10:30 am

I had a mechanical misconnect at ORD; agent originally provided me with a voucher for an off-airport hotel, but Iíd asked if the Hilton was available, and they were able to book me there. Itís worth asking.

mduell Dec 29, 18 10:40 am

You should ask before they process it, but don't be entitled about it.

SS255 Dec 29, 18 12:26 pm

I had a forced overnight at EWR after a 9-hr MX delay out of MXP in May. I had been told by someone else on the flight that as a 1K I'd be given a choice of decent hotels, but that turned out not to be the case. UA had booked me at a not-so-great hotel 30 minutes away, and presented it as a fait accompli. I told them that wasn't acceptable. I asked to be booked at the Marriott. The agent had to get the supervisor's approval, but they did it. I think if you can make a good case for a better hotel (like distance and an airport shuttle) you have a much better shot.



MSPeconomist Dec 29, 18 1:41 pm


Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 30585538)
I had a forced overnight at EWR after a 9-hr MX delay out of MXP in May. I had been told by someone else on the flight that as a 1K I'd be given a choice of decent hotels, but that turned out not to be the case. UA had booked me at a not-so-great hotel 30 minutes away, and presented it as a fair accompli. I told them that wasn't acceptable. I asked to be booked at the Marriott. The agent had to get the supervisor's approval, but they did it. I think if you can make a good case for a better hotel (like distance and an airport shuttle) you have a much better shot.


This would also be based on status and fare class/cabin class unless laws/regulations say otherwise.

raehl311 Dec 29, 18 2:18 pm

I always ask what the options are, and if something I like is listed, I'll say "Oh, [hotel name] sounds great!". If I hate all the options, I might say, "Well I have status here, is there anything I can do to get in this hotel?" and if that fails I might ask for a transportation reimbursement and then book the hotel on my own.

Often1 Dec 29, 18 2:28 pm

Ask. Start with a specific property and then move to the more general. Neither EC 261/2004 (in the case of flights departing the EU), not contract provisions specify the properties which may be offered.

UA will likely be more willing to do more for a premium cabin passenger or one with status, but in IRROPS, there may also be few choices left.

raehl311 Dec 29, 18 2:35 pm

It is definitely worth keeping in mind that if you're in IRROPS, there's probably also a bunch of other people in the same situation, and the hotel 30 minutes away may be the only one with rooms left...

UAL250 Dec 29, 18 2:49 pm

If none of the hotels offered sound good I will book myself where I want and deal with any possible reimbursement later (although not expecting any).

I have had enough bad experiences at terrible airport hotels to not just do it myself.

Kmxu Dec 29, 18 4:40 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30585764)
This would also be based on status and fare class/cabin class unless laws/regulations say otherwise.

If you are stuck at PVG, United will send you about 90 min (drive on highway) away; that is half way to Hangzhou. Your status and cabin class do not matter!

It does not hurt to ask agent nicely at other locations.

SS255 Dec 29, 18 5:31 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30585764)
This would also be based on status and fare class/cabin class unless laws/regulations say otherwise.

1K in J (on a GPU).

emcampbe Dec 29, 18 5:36 pm


Originally Posted by UAL250 (Post 30585955)
If none of the hotels offered sound good I will book myself where I want and deal with any possible reimbursement later (although not expecting any).

I have had enough bad experiences at terrible airport hotels to not just do it myself.

this is another option - especially if you have travel insurance. As long as itís not an illegal connection, or something like that, travel insurance through a card will almost certainly reimburse you as long as you provide the relevant details (as well as for meals). Also means you can avoid waiting in line at the airport for a voucher.


Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 30585921)
It is definitely worth keeping in mind that if you're in IRROPS, there's probably also a bunch of other people in the same situation, and the hotel 30 minutes away may be the only one with rooms left...

this. Especially in weather, you may need to take what you can get. In most cities, itís not even in UAs best interest to do that, unless they have some place in the far flung suburbs.

MSPeconomist Dec 29, 18 7:17 pm

It can be worth making a reservation for yourself during bad IROPs that will affect a lot of passengers. Sometimes you can grab a room at a good hotel on points or for a reasonable rate if you do it quickly. Personally I like just to have the control if the cancellation penalty won't be huge. Also, for business travel, the employer should reimburse anything reasonable in the circumstances, although of course it's good to know the policy in advance.

StuckinITH Dec 29, 18 7:55 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30586612)
It can be worth making a reservation for yourself during bad IROPs that will affect a lot of passengers. Sometimes you can grab a room at a good hotel on points or for a reasonable rate if you do it quickly. Personally I like just to have the control if the cancellation penalty won't be huge. Also, for business travel, the employer should reimburse anything reasonable in the circumstances, although of course it's good to know the policy in advance.

That's what I do. However, I can only do it when I know for sure that the flight will be cancelled as these days the hotels have a 48 hours cancellation policy so if I need to cancel it's too late. I do it to avoid waiting in line to ask for a voucher and then be disappointed with the hotel choice. Naturally, it helps that all my travel is for work and in 31 years there has never been a time when work has not reimbursed my hotel stay when I got stuck somewhere.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:25 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.