Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Asking for specific hotel during MX IRROPS?

Old Dec 29, 18, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE

I misconnected last night due to aircraft maintenance. A UA agent gave me a voucher for a hotel that was mediocre, to put it generously. I didn't ask -- but do people have any luck requesting specific brands or properties?

The last time I misconnected and got stuck overnight, I booked a hotel of my choice and submitted the receipt to customer care. I was reimbursed in the form of travel credit. But this time I did not feel like taking my chances with reimbursement.
Old Dec 29, 18, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Never a good idea to take chances with reimbursement.

It's been a while since I've been forced to overnight, but usually I try and nicely ask what the options are, and I can't remember ever being denied a choice of what they have. Sometimes they've proactively said "I can put you at the Marriott or the Holiday Inn" or whatever. Depending on where I am, I might be bold and ask for something specific. At ORD, for example, I'll almost always ask for the Hilton, especially if the kids are with me. It's always easier to walk down the hall than have to schlep onto a shuttle, especially with the kids (and their stuff) in tow. I can't remember ever being denied a request.
Old Dec 29, 18, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I had a mechanical misconnect at ORD; agent originally provided me with a voucher for an off-airport hotel, but Iíd asked if the Hilton was available, and they were able to book me there. Itís worth asking.
Old Dec 29, 18, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
You should ask before they process it, but don't be entitled about it.
getagb, jsloan, glennhaak and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer ; Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K
I had a forced overnight at EWR after a 9-hr MX delay out of MXP in May. I had been told by someone else on the flight that as a 1K I'd be given a choice of decent hotels, but that turned out not to be the case. UA had booked me at a not-so-great hotel 30 minutes away, and presented it as a fait accompli. I told them that wasn't acceptable. I asked to be booked at the Marriott. The agent had to get the supervisor's approval, but they did it. I think if you can make a good case for a better hotel (like distance and an airport shuttle) you have a much better shot.

Last edited by SS255; Dec 29, 18 at 5:32 pm
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
I had a forced overnight at EWR after a 9-hr MX delay out of MXP in May. I had been told by someone else on the flight that as a 1K I'd be given a choice of decent hotels, but that turned out not to be the case. UA had booked me at a not-so-great hotel 30 minutes away, and presented it as a fair accompli. I told them that wasn't acceptable. I asked to be booked at the Marriott. The agent had to get the supervisor's approval, but they did it. I think if you can make a good case for a better hotel (like distance and an airport shuttle) you have a much better shot.

This would also be based on status and fare class/cabin class unless laws/regulations say otherwise.
Old Dec 29, 18, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I always ask what the options are, and if something I like is listed, I'll say "Oh, [hotel name] sounds great!". If I hate all the options, I might say, "Well I have status here, is there anything I can do to get in this hotel?" and if that fails I might ask for a transportation reimbursement and then book the hotel on my own.
Hipplewm likes this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ask. Start with a specific property and then move to the more general. Neither EC 261/2004 (in the case of flights departing the EU), not contract provisions specify the properties which may be offered.

UA will likely be more willing to do more for a premium cabin passenger or one with status, but in IRROPS, there may also be few choices left.
Old Dec 29, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
It is definitely worth keeping in mind that if you're in IRROPS, there's probably also a bunch of other people in the same situation, and the hotel 30 minutes away may be the only one with rooms left...
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
If none of the hotels offered sound good I will book myself where I want and deal with any possible reimbursement later (although not expecting any).

I have had enough bad experiences at terrible airport hotels to not just do it myself.
Old Dec 29, 18, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This would also be based on status and fare class/cabin class unless laws/regulations say otherwise.
If you are stuck at PVG, United will send you about 90 min (drive on highway) away; that is half way to Hangzhou. Your status and cabin class do not matter!

It does not hurt to ask agent nicely at other locations.
Old Dec 29, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer ; Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K
1K in J (on a GPU).
Old Dec 29, 18, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
If none of the hotels offered sound good I will book myself where I want and deal with any possible reimbursement later (although not expecting any).

I have had enough bad experiences at terrible airport hotels to not just do it myself.
this is another option - especially if you have travel insurance. As long as itís not an illegal connection, or something like that, travel insurance through a card will almost certainly reimburse you as long as you provide the relevant details (as well as for meals). Also means you can avoid waiting in line at the airport for a voucher.

Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
It is definitely worth keeping in mind that if you're in IRROPS, there's probably also a bunch of other people in the same situation, and the hotel 30 minutes away may be the only one with rooms left...
this. Especially in weather, you may need to take what you can get. In most cities, itís not even in UAs best interest to do that, unless they have some place in the far flung suburbs.
Old Dec 29, 18, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It can be worth making a reservation for yourself during bad IROPs that will affect a lot of passengers. Sometimes you can grab a room at a good hotel on points or for a reasonable rate if you do it quickly. Personally I like just to have the control if the cancellation penalty won't be huge. Also, for business travel, the employer should reimburse anything reasonable in the circumstances, although of course it's good to know the policy in advance.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It can be worth making a reservation for yourself during bad IROPs that will affect a lot of passengers. Sometimes you can grab a room at a good hotel on points or for a reasonable rate if you do it quickly. Personally I like just to have the control if the cancellation penalty won't be huge. Also, for business travel, the employer should reimburse anything reasonable in the circumstances, although of course it's good to know the policy in advance.
That's what I do. However, I can only do it when I know for sure that the flight will be cancelled as these days the hotels have a 48 hours cancellation policy so if I need to cancel it's too late. I do it to avoid waiting in line to ask for a voucher and then be disappointed with the hotel choice. Naturally, it helps that all my travel is for work and in 31 years there has never been a time when work has not reimbursed my hotel stay when I got stuck somewhere.

Search this Thread