FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Asking for specific hotel during MX IRROPS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1948054-asking-specific-hotel-during-mx-irrops.html)

lilpisher Dec 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Fortunately it has been awhile since I had to overnight, but a couple years ago they gave me a voucher for some no-name hotel not close to the airport. The voucher had a credit card, ccv, and expiration date, which a nearby Westin was happy to apply as partial payment. I think I then paid for the balance.

tarheelnj Dec 30, 2018 8:23 am

In locations with a UC, I wonder if UA has considered paying their staff overtime to keep the Club open all night? It might save money if there are enough people who don't want to leave the airport vs paying hotels to take them. I had a flight finally cancel for WX at around 11pm with the rescheduled flight at 6am (and the nearest available hotel 30+ minutes away). With little time for sleep, I would have been happy to stay overnight in the Club if it hadn't closed. I realize overcrowding could be an issue, but it would be nice to have that option.

lotemblizej Dec 30, 2018 8:32 am

I asked nicely for the Marriott LAX on a VDB and it was granted.

transportprof Dec 30, 2018 9:45 am

My last forced overnight was at ORD in June. UA wanted to put me in a Holiday Inn Express in Schaumburg. I found space online at the in-terminal Hilton. They said it was sold out in their system. This is where trip delay insurance comes in handy. I stayed at the Hilton and Amex reimbursed in cash money.

joe_miami Dec 30, 2018 10:26 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 30587849)
In locations with a UC, I wonder if UA has considered paying their staff overtime to keep the Club open all night? It might save money if there are enough people who don't want to leave the airport vs paying hotels to take them. I had a flight finally cancel for WX at around 11pm with the rescheduled flight at 6am (and the nearest available hotel 30+ minutes away). With little time for sleep, I would have been happy to stay overnight in the Club if it hadn't closed. I realize overcrowding could be an issue, but it would be nice to have that option.

Last I knew, UC staffers aren't United employees, but I believe the same is true for Delta, et al. One assumes the clubs can be kept open at an airline's request/direction.

I've seen Delta keep the SkyClubs open all night at ATL. Thankfully, I haven't (yet) been in the middle of a United problem that was big enough that it would be considered/necessary.

cfischer Dec 30, 2018 3:00 pm

I have definitely asked (and was given) a specific hotel during irops. Never hurts to ask, but obviously there is no entitlement. Helps to know which hotels they usually book into and then suggest one of them to the agent.

dordal Dec 30, 2018 6:10 pm

Been a while for me too. Does anybody know if you can get hotel elite benefits on the rates UA uses? Or are they Corp rates or third party rates that don’t qualify?

MSPeconomist Dec 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30588175)
Last I knew, UC staffers aren't United employees, but I believe the same is true for Delta, et al. One assumes the clubs can be kept open at an airline's request/direction.

I've seen Delta keep the SkyClubs open all night at ATL. Thankfully, I haven't (yet) been in the middle of a United problem that was big enough that it would be considered/necessary.

I've certainly benefitted from DL SCs being kept open outrageously late during DL IROPs. I've also chosen to escape to the MSP Escape lounge (AmEX, formerly PP) during bad DL IROPs when the SC was just a zoo and I couldn't even get onto their internet and stay logged in for more than a minute or so.

OTOH, I wouldn't want to see an airline viewing an open lounge as an adequate substitute for the provision of hotel rooms.

joe_miami Dec 30, 2018 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by dordal (Post 30589616)
Been a while for me too. Does anybody know if you can get hotel elite benefits on the rates UA uses? Or are they Corp rates or third party rates that don’t qualify?

I've never seen a report of someone earning points, qualifying stay, etc., from an airline-voucher hotel room, but some properties will extend elite benefits (e.g., free breakfast) as a courtesy.

The last time I got a hotel voucher, United paid something like $32 for the Hilton near IAD.

cfischer Dec 31, 2018 8:24 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30589727)
I've never seen a report of someone earning points, qualifying stay, etc., from an airline-voucher hotel room, but some properties will extend elite benefits (e.g., free breakfast) as a courtesy.

The last time I got a hotel voucher, United paid something like $32 for the Hilton near IAD.

let me change that ;)

Marriott IAD ... earned points and stay credit on a UA voucher ;)

fumje Dec 31, 2018 8:54 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30589727)

Sometimes you can earn points from the voucher, and sometimes you can't. I'm not sure why or why not, but I have had both experiences.

eng3 Dec 31, 2018 10:08 am

I was in MCO flying MCO-IAD-PHL on a very delayed MCO-IAD flight. The GA said "do you want to spend the night here or in IAD", I said I'll stay here. She offered me the first flight of the morning, I said "if it's that early, then I want to be in the aiport hotel (a hyatt)". She made a call and I got the room.

No on WX delays, the typically don't offer a hotel even though I'm 1K. Sometimes this is good since if you are 1K/GS, you just book the hotel you want then ask customer service for reimbursement. Now the hotels I typically stay at have rates on par with govt per diem rates and not super high end. I'm not sure if UA has a reimbursement limit. I figure even if they don't reimburse me, they'd probably still offer a voucher of similar value. Typically they do both, reimburse and provide a voucher.

pseudoswede Dec 31, 2018 11:16 am

I guess a travel insurance's trip delay benefit (either via typical credit card or purchased separately) would cover a situation like this. For example, airline offers voucher for off-airport hotel, but there is availability at on-airport hotel. Decline voucher, stay at on-airport hotel, and utilize trip delay benefit to get reimbursed for on-airport hotel stay.

joe_miami Dec 31, 2018 11:34 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 30591940)
I guess a travel insurance's trip delay benefit (either via typical credit card or purchased separately) would cover a situation like this. For example, airline offers voucher for off-airport hotel, but there is availability at on-airport hotel. Decline voucher, stay at on-airport hotel, and utilize trip delay benefit to get reimbursed for on-airport hotel stay.

Most trip-delay insurance only pays for uncovered expenses. There have been reports of people doing exactly as you mentioned, but a smart adjuster is going to check why the flight was delayed or canceled and know that the airline would be on the hook for hotels for, e.g., mechanical or crew-related delays/cancellations.

pseudoswede Dec 31, 2018 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30592026)
but a smart adjuster is going to check why the flight was delayed or canceled and know that the airline would be on the hook for hotels for, e.g., mechanical or crew-related delays/cancellations.

In Europe, yes, but a US airline operating a domestic US flight is not required to provide any duty of care in the event of a delay/cancellation.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

Originally Posted by transportation.gov
Contrary to popular belief, for domestic itineraries airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled.