Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade bait and switch {refund processed}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade bait and switch {refund processed}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This happens way to often on United to be coincidence. I filed a complaint years ago with DOT. I suggest everyone do the same when an upgrade, miles, refund within 24 hours, etc doesn’t get refunded. No reason why I need to call to get my money back so often. If its an IT problem fix it! In 2009, I could see it, but in 2018 this shouldn’t still be happening!
nomad420 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Perhaps the way to go is to deduct miles and charge credit card after the upgrade, as the "goods" has not been delivered at the time of upgrade requests.

I experienced just that about 3 weeks ago but reading from here seems that's a one off situation.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ag2018
In 20 years flying United, I have never had it take over a week for miles to be redeposited. I have never had it take over a week for a copay to be refunded. I have never had a refund not process automatically.
Haven't been failing upgrades much since the merger then?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I recently had a flight that I canceled within 24 hours of booking. I got the automatic email confirming my cancellation. Over a week later, the charge was still on my CC. I called, and it took a while for them to take care of it. They even requested the email (which I had saved). I did get the refund, however. They mentioned that I wasn't the first to have this issue occur. IT issue, no doubt.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Does this suck? Yes. Does it happen with other loyalty programs? Yes. SQ still owes me 20k miles from an award I cancelled six weeks ago.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wendySFO
Perhaps the way to go is to deduct miles and charge credit card after the upgrade, as the "goods" has not been delivered at the time of upgrade requests...
Part of the reason is that one is committing miles to a requested upgrade. The deduction leaves the member with a balance reflecting what can still be used for other redemptions.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 28, 2018 at 3:37 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
That's because other than for the seats on some planes, IT DOESN'T EXIST YET. When it does exist beginning in March, there will be upgraded soft product in addition to the seats. See: https://hub.united.com/united-announ...621985755.html
While not for this thread some people I know are already getting pushed to accept the new PP seats in lieu of Biz/F. My wife who contractually gets biz or better on any flight over 3hrs has already been informed by her travel department that they want to start booking PP seats for TCONs. She is pushing back about this but mostly because she (nor I) know much about this "new product". I suspect as they roll this out their will be more FT discussion of this. Mods, since FT search function is pretty poor are there any suggested wikis available on this topic now? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
My wife who contractually gets biz or better on any flight over 3hrs has already been informed by her travel department that they want to start booking PP seats for TCONs.
On UA? There are not to my knowledge any PP fares offered on domestic routes. The only aircraft regularly used on those routes with PP cabin are once daily SFO-EWR and LAX-EWR on the 781.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
On UA? There are not to my knowledge any PP fares offered on domestic routes. The only aircraft regularly used on those routes with PP cabin are once daily SFO-EWR and LAX-EWR on the 781.
Yes UA but they (travel office/agents) are now aware this is rolling out and want to start booking probably Q2 in PP. We are pushing back a bit mostly out of ignorance to the product. And the routes you describe are exactly what they are talking about. Currently they are not selling that product on those routes right?.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes UA but they (travel office/agents) are now aware this is rolling out and want to start booking probably Q2 in PP. We are pushing back a bit mostly out of ignorance to the product. And the routes you describe are exactly what they are talking about. Currently they are not selling that product on those routes right?.
Correct, but she could book the 781 in Y and sit in the P+ seats (if available). They’re treated like E+ on those routes, which would mean a meal, and E+ policies for Premier travelers apply.

I fully expect more companies to follow this lead; it’s one of many reasons I wasn’t looking forward to the P+ introduction.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
I recently had a flight that I canceled within 24 hours of booking. I got the automatic email confirming my cancellation. Over a week later, the charge was still on my CC. I called, and it took a while for them to take care of it. They even requested the email (which I had saved). I did get the refund, however. They mentioned that I wasn't the first to have this issue occur. IT issue, no doubt.
this happens to me all the time! Even after the DOT complaint. It will never get “fixed” if people don’t start filing claims. It takes 2 minutes. I’ve been struggling with this for a very very long time. 50% of the time the refund never goes thru. UA hs given me a direct line to an absolute angel at UA that handles this all for me now. (Only after my compaint a few years back) now I just email her and its taken care of. But again, it should not have to be this way. No way it’s an “IT” bug. My team would’ve been fired by now if we didn’t fix something in 10 years.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
"Not with a bang but a whimper."
And this is how corporate J-travel ends.

Push back, my friend. Like your life depends on it. Those seats are like the crappy slimline domestic F seats but less comfortable due to the leg/foot rests. The footrest really restricts your ability to stretch out and is a real bad shin-knocker.

And another P+ flyer agrees with my assessment:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30587032-post106.html

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 30, 2018 at 8:03 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by zombietooth
"Not with a bang, but with a whimper."
And this is how corporate J-travel ends.

Push back, my friend. Like your life depends on it. Those seats are like the crappy slimline domestic F seats but less comfortable due to the leg/foot rest. The footrest really restricts your ability to stretch out and is a real bad shin-knocker.
This has nothing to do with UA and the concern that once implemented, the UG with a cert from Y will be to PE. not C.

Rather this has to do with corporate travel policies. It is for those large corporate customers that US carriers have started rolling out a PE product.

There is no question in my mind that many corporate travel policies which have previously provided for F/J on longer-haul travel will now provide for a one-class UG from Y for many travelers. Why? The entire PE scheme is largely what corporate customers want.

Last edited by Often1; Dec 29, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Often1
This has nothing to do with UA and the concern that once implemented, the UG with a cert from Y will be to PE. not C.

Rather this has to do with corporate travel policies. It is for those large corporate customers that US carriers have started rolling out a PE product.

There is no question in my mind that many corporate travel policies which have previously provided for F/J on longer-haul travel will now provide for a one-class UG from Y for many travelers. Why? The entire PE scheme is largely what corporate customers want.
From what I am seeing now this is indeed the case. As the holidays are ending and the new year beginning we certainly push back at the travel department and will probably have to go back and see exactly what the wording was in the contract but for large companies that have huge travel accounts this is one way of nibbling down costs and still provide "upgraded" travel. At this point I don't see them pulling back on the international travel but for TCONs it is on its way.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:55 am

At this point I don't see them pulling back on the international travel but for TCONs it is on its way.
Except UA doesn't offer PP fares on t-cons, since their dedicated fleet (752s and 77G) doesn't have those seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.