Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I Status Match from UA to a partner Star Alliance Carrier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

I am currently United Gold, but I am losing it in January. Before I lose it, is there a Star Alliance carrier that I can status match to? It is most convenient for me to fly United or American, so I would love to status match to a Star Alliance or One World Carrier. I know about the AA Status challenge, but I was wondering if there is an easier status match to a Star Alliance carrier.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
I am currently United Gold, but I am losing it in January. Before I lose it, is there a Star Alliance carrier that I can status match to? ..
Generally no -- *A seems to have a no poaching rule /practice. UA states explicitly it will not.

If you were a HVF, you might have a chance but very doubtful a Gold would get anywhere.

AC to UA match?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I am currently United Gold, but I am losing it in January. Before I lose it, is there a Star Alliance carrier that I can status match to? It is most convenient for me to fly United or American, so I would love to status match to a Star Alliance or One World Carrier. I know about the AA Status challenge, but I was wondering if there is an easier status match to a Star Alliance carrier.
You're currently Gold, but the documentation you'd provide for a match would show you couldn't even hold onto that.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You're currently Gold, but the documentation you'd provide for a match would show you couldn't even hold onto that.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Some airlines, Iike Alaska, do a straight match solely based on proof of your current status. It has nothing to do with being able to hold that status into the future.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
I don't think you'd have to be worried about being denied a status match because your status is expiring soon.

That being said, off the top of my head, Turkish and Air Canada offer status matches and challenges--with AC, they explicitly exclude Star Alliance elites from the challenge. With TK, the terms are pretty unclear, but apparently people have been denied a UA - TK match.

There seems to be some scattered reports of EVA granting status matches too.

I'd peruse StatusMatcher | Obtain Elite Travel Status for viable options.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if you get status then what? What do you expect it will do for you?
Will you fly on the aircraft of the new ffp?

Status matches, when offered, are often 1 level below what you have. But some ffp's will offer a challenge. Or they will just say "no" and expect you to earn it as the normal ffp t&c's.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you can’t meet the requirements of a challenge, you’re likely not if much value to an airline, so why status match you?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:53 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
TK used to match other *A programs - they do not do this any longer - so the answer is no.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Some airlines, Iike Alaska, do a straight match solely based on proof of your current status. It has nothing to do with being able to hold that status into the future.
There is your answer in your quote above: Alaska Air! They will become an Oneworld Connecting Partner Airlines.

Within Star Alliance, you are out of luck.

Also check out Aegean Air to see if it works in your situation. You only need to fly 24K to get *A gold status provided you have four segments on Aegean and Olympic Air operated flights each year.

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...-program/gold/
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Also check out Aegean Air to see if it works in your situation. You only need to fly 24K to get *A gold status provided you have four segments on Aegean and Olympic Air operated flights each year.
And if you are in Athens, you can do the 4 segments for Aegean in one morning if you start early enough, e.g., ATH-JTR, JTR-ATH, ATH-JTR, JTR-ATH. If you book during a sale, the total cost can be well under EUR 200 (I've done the equivalent for under EUR 100, but that year seemed to have exceptionally low intra-Greece fares).
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AS is not a *A carrier. So not much help to OP who needs a non-UA *A carrier.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
AS also asks for your YTD activities:
Your current frequent flyer status

To confirm your status in your current frequent flyer program, sign in to your account for that program, either online or in the mobile app.

Take a screenshot of your account (.jpg or .png) and upload it below. Be sure your screenshot includes the following info:
  • Your first and last name
  • Your current status
  • Your miles flown year-to-date
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you can’t meet the requirements of a challenge, you’re likely not if much value to an airline, so why status match you?
Well, not sure what to tell you on that. You'd have to have ask the airlines who do straight status matches without any challenge. :-)

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And if you get status then what? What do you expect it will do for you?
Will you fly on the aircraft of the new ffp?
Um, no. I will not fly the airline of that plan. I will fly the US carrier in that alliance, and reap the alliance benefits. In some cases, lounge access is better with the foreign carrier elite status of the alliance than with the US carrier of the alliance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2018 at 10:48 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well, not sure what to tell you on that. You'd have to have ask the airlines who do straight status matches without any challenge. :-)
Perhaps that is why a diminishing number are doing true matches, status challenges are more common. -- the airlines have wised up.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
AS also asks for your YTD activities:[B]
Oh, that's new! I did an AS status match a couple years ago and there were no requirements other than current status. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Often1
AS is not a *A carrier. So not much help to OP who needs a non-UA *A carrier.
Yes, I am aware AS is not *A carrier and is no longer a OW partner. I was just using it as an example of straight up status matching (which apparently it no longer does).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps that is why a diminishing number are doing true matches, status challenges are more common. -- the airlines have wised up.
That certainly makes sense from the airlines perspective. Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2018 at 11:10 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.