Wiki Posts
Search

Are Upgrades Getting Easier on UA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Are Upgrades Getting Easier on UA?

Hey FTers,

I heard somewhat recently about UA launching PY on some of their routes starting in March 2019. Upon researching further I noticed that CPUs/GPUs/RPUs can be used to upgrade from Y to PY (in addition to J/F). My question for the community is, given there's another premium cabin available will the chances of upgrades clearing (even just to PY) increase?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:22 pm

My question for the community is, given there's another premium cabin available will the chances of upgrades clearing (even just to PY) increase?
No.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Hey FTers,

I heard somewhat recently about UA launching PY on some of their routes starting in March 2019. Upon researching further I noticed that CPUs/GPUs/RPUs can be used to upgrade from Y to PY (in addition to J/F). My question for the community is, given there's another premium cabin available will the chances of upgrades clearing (even just to PY) increase?

Safe Travels,

James
Doubt it. Just like J, they're going to price those seats such that they actually sell...And the rest will get snapped up by DoD upgrades.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by climmy
And the rest will get snapped up by DoD upgrades.
No doubt there'll be a thread on FT in a couple months tracking the SDB (single dollar bill) upgrade offers at OLCI!

-James
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Perhaps I haven't been in the game long enough to say this but I don't ever see upgrades getting easier. Didn't happen after going revenue based, or the big award deval, or the increased PQDs, or award deval 2.0 and I predict it won't after PQD 2.0.

I see FFPs as analogous to churning at banks. There will always be an influx of new people flooding the market, regardless of how poorly the airlines/banks treat them.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:54 pm

I had an 85% failure rate this year as a 1K using instruments.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I don't think it has gotten easier. If I want to fly up front, I look for cheap fares and book it direct. My tolerance level for a flight in Y these days is probably the length of EWR-DEN/IAH. Anything longer and I'm going to find a way to make it to the front cabin. Not going to count on a CPU/waitlisted RPU to clear.
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I don't think it has gotten easier. If I want to fly up front, I look for cheap fares and book it direct. My tolerance level for a flight in Y these days is probably the length of EWR-DEN/IAH. Anything longer and I'm going to find a way to make it to the front cabin. Not going to count on a CPU/waitlisted RPU to clear.
i think many of us share the sentiment about not wanting to fly in economy anymore. Given the reasonable prices for First on many routes now it shouldn’t be a surprise that upgrades are not the key benefit of status like they used to be.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
No doubt there'll be a thread on FT in a couple months tracking the SDB (single dollar bill) upgrade offers at OLCI!

-James
UA will play with the price point in the first few months to balance the maximum upgrade price to just fill the seats.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is it April 1 already? That's the only plausible explanation for this thread.
Santander and st530 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Restricting RPU to 4 will help domestic upgrades IMO, but probably not enough to matter large scale
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
I had an 85% failure rate this year as a 1K using instruments.
before the merger, I had a 75% success rate as a 1K. Times have changed.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Restricting RPU to 4 will help domestic upgrades IMO, but probably not enough to matter large scale
Agreed it's always upset me how so called Elites had certificates they could use to make upgrades clear meanwhile us loyalist flying on k fares would either receive no ToD offer or a crazy expensive one (i.e. $1000 upgrade to J on EWR > NRT).

-James
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Agreed it's always upset me how so called Elites had certificates they could use to make upgrades clear meanwhile us loyalist flying on k fares would either receive no ToD offer or a crazy expensive one (i.e. $1000 upgrade to J on EWR > NRT).

-James
$1000 on east coast -> Asia is not a crazy TOD offer at all, especially considering the co-pay alone for a miles + co-pay upgrade from the lowest fare buckets on a Polaris flight (except LIM) is $500-$600 and requires PZ space.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by halls120

before the merger, I had a 75% success rate as a 1K. Times have changed.
Same. I do take some comfort in seeing that nobody else is clearing either though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.