Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a preferred method of nonrev seating in E+?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

I frequently find myself on international flights that have loads of open seats in E+ pre-flight and frequently enough start out with an empty set of seats beside me.

I've watched in the past when non-revs were cleared and thought maybe I'd figured out a method to how they (GAs) seat them but tonight my hypothesis was proven wrong. I had thought that GAs seemed to be leaving seats next to 1Ks (or GS) open until it's no longer possible. However tonight I checked the seat map just prior to boarding (LIM-IAH), the GA had entirely filled up my row but left the row behind me with only 1 person (subsequently saw it was a Premier Gold member).

is there an actual method that GAs use (or are supposed to use) when filling seats with nonrevs? Maybe this was just a one off or maybe I've just been incredibly lucky at least a dozen times before ?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dvs7310
is there an actual method that GAs use (or are supposed to use) when filling seats with nonrevs? Maybe this was just a one off or maybe I've just been incredibly lucky at least a dozen times before ?
IME, they'll generally fill the exit rows first, then windows/aisles, then middles, front to back. I don't know that it really has anything to do with non revs or not; it's pretty standard for any E+-eligible passengers without seat assignments, or for anybody else who needs a seat if E- is full.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
It is almost always windows and aisles first, then middles from front to back. Not non-rev specific, but anybody that doesn’t have a seat assignment.
MatthewLAX and Often1 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
is there an actual method that GAs use (or are supposed to use) when filling seats with nonrevs?
Once they start clearing nonrevs, they get the best available seat.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I found that the best chances of getting an empty seat next to you is to book either an aisle or window in the back of the E+ section. The center seats in these back rows are often the last to get taken.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phkc070408
I found that the best chances of getting an empty seat next to you is to book either an aisle or window in the back of the E+ section. The center seats in these back rows are often the last to get taken.
That's typically what I do when booking far enough in advance. Several routes I take are VERY nonrev heavy, sometimes I'll see 15-20 on the list, so naturally they get assigned seats at the last minute. I've seen them frequently get assigned seats all over the plane but fairly frequently my row (or set of 3 seats would be more appropriate) gets left alone, so I thought maybe there was a practice of avoiding putting them in 1K rows unless necessary. Even I've seen them put in E- when there were still empty seats in E+ (non-middles).

Last edited by dvs7310; Dec 17, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
If we non-revs are clearing into Y, the gate agent can assign any seat. Maybe 15% of the time they actually show us the seat map when they call our names and we pick ourselves. The rest of the time, they just give you pretty much whatever that particular agent feels like - no real methodology. Obviously if the agent is clearing a fellow employee and has a choice to assign me a E- middle or an E+ with only one person in it, they'll give us the E+.

note - this reflects my own opinion and isn't on behalf of the airline.
MatthewLAX, Kacee, HkCaGu and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Obviously if the agent is clearing a fellow employee and has a choice to assign me a E- middle or an E+ with only one person in it, they'll give us the E+.
In that case, I'd hope so, lol. That'd just be cruel and unusual punishment. Situations where I've noticed it were filling windows and aisles in empty E- rows. Haven't noticed non-revs going into E- middles unless the plane was full, which is really rare on my typical routes. Happened today, but my suspicion is that AA had a disruption on one of their Asia routes and pushed a bunch of people over to UA. (flight was only about 2/3 full at T-24 but a few hours before the flight C nearly sold out [revenue, not upgrade], all at once, and Y filled in significantly, plus a lot more Aadgantage luggage tags visible than usual for an international IAH departure).
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe there are also certain categories of NRSA who are/aren't eligible for E+; at least, some of them get cleared into E- seats even when better E+ seats are available.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In OP's situation, I would presume that just as the cabin closes, whoever is on the aisle would move a row back giving both rows an empty middle.

At the last second when clearing passengers, I don't see a GA worrying about who has what status in what row.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Maybe 15% of the time they actually show us the seat map when they call our names and we pick ourselves. The rest of the time, they just give you pretty much whatever that particular agent feels like - no real methodology.
Interesting - I figured it would be higher, just based on observations of where people end up in this situation. Of course, I suppose a GA could figure out what's likely to be attractive (e.g., an aisle with an empty middle) vs. being spiteful.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
I believe there are also certain categories of NRSA who are/aren't eligible for E+; at least, some of them get cleared into E- seats even when better E+ seats are available.
That would make sense based upon my observations. Though I am curious who they'd be? I've chatted with 'buddy pass' folks before in E+, so they weren't employees themselves.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum

Incorrect Information
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by clubord

Incorrect Information
Then why would e.g. 12 NRSA listed for a wide open flight clear half into E+ and half into E-? I see this fairly often.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Then why would e.g. 12 NRSA listed for a wide open flight clear half into E+ and half into E-? I see this fairly often.
Because sometimes NRSA families like to sit together. There may not be 2 or 3 seats adjacent in E+, thus they take a row in E-. Others may just like sitting in a row by themselves available in E-. There are some that may feel more comfortable sitting in the back of the plane near the lavatories.

More importantly, good on you for finding a wide open flight, haven’t seen one of those in a while!

Last edited by clubord; Dec 17, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.