Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downguage Call From UA Urging PAX To Stay Another Day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum

Strange occurrance..UA 362 downguaged 14 Dec from 767-400ER to -300ER. In talking with my traveling companions (all 1K) they were called and emailed by a very insistent UA rep on 13 Dec encouraging them to “stay another day, the weather is nicer in HNL than in EWR”. Clearly UA was trying to accommodate the downguage, but rather than auto protecting on other flights, or offering compensation they used the hard sell. As such, none of those called took the “offer” and as it turns out there was a re-upgauge to the -400 so it wasn’t needed anyway. Lots of where’s my new old seat now questions. That was fun. To add additional insult to this, the gate agent came on board into First soliciting anyone to voluntarily move to a non functioning First seat to accommodate a woman who didn’t want to sit there. Needless to say..no takers on that “offer” either. Then the gate agent went around individually asking people if they were traveling alone and would they voluntarily move to the dead seat. Umm no..the reactions from people were classic though. But seriously, is this really how any of this is going to be done in the future in similar situations, or was this just a one off thing? Thoughts?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Slouchman
Strange occurrance..UA 362 downguaged 14 Dec from 767-400ER to -300ER. In talking with my traveling companions (all 1K) they were called and emailed by a very insistent UA rep on 13 Dec encouraging them to “stay another day, the weather is nicer in HNL than in EWR”. Thoughts?
I don't see anything wrong with that proactive communication - That is a true statement, the weather is nicer in HNL rather than EWR practically 365 days a year.

As far as protecting on other flights, given we are in year 6 in a row of record tourism, there simply may not have been decent options - the flights are generally always full.
EWR764 and trooper like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
... the gate agent came on board into First soliciting anyone to voluntarily move to a non functioning First seat to accommodate a woman who didn’t want to sit there. Needless to say..no takers on that “offer” either. Then the gate agent went around individually asking people if they were traveling alone and would they voluntarily move to the dead seat. Umm no..the reactions from people were classic though. But seriously, is this really how any of this is going to be done in the future in similar situations, or was this just a one off thing? Thoughts?
How much was the offer? Everyone has a price and obviously United was not willing to pay it.

In similar situations where I have been the last person to be upgraded they have downgraded me and given me an ETC.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
How much was the offer? Everyone has a price and obviously United was not willing to pay it.

In similar situations where I have been the last person to be upgraded they have downgraded me and given me an ETC.
No $$$ or other compensation offer at all. Just move. Some of the reactions to the request were quite interesting.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

No $$$ or other compensation offer at all. Just move. Some of the reactions to the request were quite interesting.
Wow! No wonder there were no takers.

I have not seen as many offers lately from United for taking later flights. It will be interesting to see what happens over the holidays with oversold flights and mx issues.

I too would have been unhappy if I had been the person on the inoperable FC seat so hopefully the pax receives compensation.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, SWA A-List
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Wow! No wonder there were no takers.
I assume United was waving the change fee. So someone who really wanted to stay an extra day, but didn't because of the change fee might take them up on the offer.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Not sure what UA thought they'd get out of EWR-bound passengers for free.

David
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Like what? Don't leave us hanging ; )
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Did they at least offer to pay for a hotel for the extra night?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by david_oz
Did they at least offer to pay for a hotel for the extra night?
I was wondering the same thing. If they were offering to pay for a hotel for the night it would be one thing.

If they didn't offer I have to say UA has reached new levels of crazy.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How this call gets translated to the wife/boss:

"United called and told me they were moving me to tomorrow's flight due to an equipment problem. There was nothing I could do."
jsloan, Absolute and SkiPremier like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
If they were paying for the extra night in the HNL hotel, I'd have at least considered it. But I'm sure that wasn't the offer.

And a big old 'what the ... are they thinking?' at trying to get someone to swap to a non functioning seat.

Last edited by Gig103; Dec 15, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.