Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Award Flight to LAX - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:26 pm

You waited 3 months and now you "need" things to happen your way!

Wow.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by malgudi
You waited 3 months and now you "need" things to happen your way!
To be fair, OP said he's been checking every day for three months.

Unfortunately, this is a very high demand period for award travel.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
FInd Y savers, and grab them....pay a few hundred to move to Economy + .....so no one is reclining in your face. Sure, it's nice to have Business for a long trip, but not worth cancelling your trip over it...If you don't like Y food, bring on some gourmet sandwiches or whatever you like. as someone says above, it's a day trip. And if you confirm Y Saver, you can always waitlist for business...see this tread for details. Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Last edited by hughw; Dec 10, 2018 at 3:39 pm Reason: removed snark
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee

And the OP wants to fly on the Saturday or Sunday.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

True.

But why wait until the very end in that case? The prudent thing to do would have been to look at plan b aka buying tickets in economy T-21 to get the best price
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Actually, I was wrong when I said 3 months. I booked flights there in July! So I checked every day for 5+ months. No big deal malgudi, I'm not complaining and have a good backup trip lined up. Just soliciting help from the community in case somebody knows something I don't know.

Not interested in flying economy home. My plan b trip has been locked in for months. We booked our tickets originally knowing that our worst case scenario is paying $150/each in cancellation fees and it was worth the risk.

No harm, no foul.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2018 at 5:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by jfbruin
Actually, I was wrong when I said 3 months. I booked flights there in July! So I checked every day for 5+ months. No big deal malgudi, I'm not complaining and have a good backup trip lined up. Just soliciting help from the community in case somebody knows something I don't know.

Not interested in flying economy home. My plan b trip has been locked in for months. We booked our tickets originally knowing that our worst case scenario is paying $150/each in cancellation fees and it was worth the risk.

No harm, no foul.
Now, we are all curious. To what destination is that Plan B trip?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Driving up the coast to SF and Napa, then back down south through Paso. Lots of wine tasting and great food. : )

Very different than a New Year's trip to London, but we love wine tasting and we will have a blast.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by jfbruin
Driving up the coast to SF and Napa, then back down south through Paso. Lots of wine tasting and great food. : )

Very different than a New Year's trip to London, but we love wine tasting and we will have a blast.
If I could I would join you on your wine tasting trip!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If I could I would join you on your wine tasting trip!
It's gonna be fun! We will have lots of $$$ to spend on wine after getting our BA fuel surcharges back LOL!
BThumme and StuckinITH like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Your best bet would be to find UA saver economy awards on UA METAL and waitlist for UA saver business -- the agent will need to first book you in saver economy then withdraw the saver business number of miles. While you will most likely not clear until 24 hours before departure, once you go to airport control, you would be at the top of the waitlist (even ahead of GS using GPUs) since you're treated like a displaced business passenger.

I have used this technique many times with success, but it is not guaranteed if the flight is 100% full at T-24h.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:22 am

If you are feeling brave, your best (only) option that might still work in your favour is to leave the return leg to the very very last minute. Some flights will open up around the 24 hour before departure mark for award tickets (even around that Jan 3-6 period). However, you must be willing to both split up and be flexible. Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.