London Award Flight to LAX - Need Help!

Old Dec 8, 18, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

London Award Flight to LAX - Need Help!

I have a fight to London booked on BA first class from LAX - LHR and a hotel booked for my stay. I've searched every day for the past 3 months for a flight home and have struck out. I need a flight in business or first class, preferably using United miles, but I have plenty of Chase Sapphire points to transfer to Air Canada or other programs if necessary, depending on availability.

So far I have been searching One World and Star Alliance availability using the KVS Tool (searching AC, QF and BA). I need a total of 4 tickets in C or F home from London or Paris to L.A., Orange County or San Diego on either January 5th or January 6th. I'm flying with my in-laws, so it's fine if we fly home on two different flights (2 on one, 2 on another).

Any ideas outside of using the KVS Tool and searching One World and SA? My wife gave me a hard deadline of Monday to find a flight home or cancel the trip. I think I'm screwed, but this is my hail mary to see if anyone out there can help me out! Thanks all!!!
Old Dec 8, 18, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by jfbruin View Post
I have a fight to London booked on BA first class from LAX - LHR and a hotel booked for my stay. I've searched every day for the past 3 months for a flight home and have struck out. I need a flight in business or first class, preferably using United miles, but I have plenty of Chase Sapphire points to transfer to Air Canada or other programs if necessary, depending on availability.

So far I have been searching One World and Star Alliance availability using the KVS Tool (searching AC, QF and BA). I need a total of 4 tickets in C or F home from London or Paris to L.A., Orange County or San Diego on either January 5th or January 6th. I'm flying with my in-laws, so it's fine if we fly home on two different flights (2 on one, 2 on another).
4 business award seats Europe to the west coast, the weekend after new year's, is a very tall order.

If you have plenty of miles, the UA "everyday" awards are plentiful at 155k each.
Old Dec 8, 18, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I need saver awards.
Old Dec 8, 18, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR LTPP, Amex Plat
chances are pretty much zero. I4 available on ANY TATL route the weekend after NYE is near zero when you try and book 330 days out; 1 month out it is ... zero.
My flights back from Europe are J0 and have been J0 for quite some time ... I booked it in January when P was available.

Surprisingly, for your routes there is still some P available (shocking) ... so I would seriously look for paid tickets ... assuming the outbound is not 12/20, 12/21 and other high demand dates.
Old Dec 8, 18, 5:39 pm

Yeah, well good luck with 4 saver tickets for those dates - UA is unlikely to give out a bunch of saver awards when everyone's trying to get back to work/home. Your chances are about zero. On the 5th you can get as close as Denver on AC, but not sure how many awards there are. I find coach seats more tolerable on a daytime flight than redeye. It's still long haul.

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
...Surprisingly, for your routes there is still some P available (shocking) ... so I would seriously look for paid tickets ...
Yeah, but OP is looking for 1 way, which could be twice a RT P fare.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 8, 18 at 9:37 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 8, 18, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat
4 TATL saver tix in C on short notice?? Ummm, that's a pretty tall order. Even tougher if you want nonstop from LHR->SFO/LAX. If you are 1K, you can sometimes find last minute inventory, i.e within a week of travel (I found for my wife SFO<->TLV nonstops) but it is very hit or miss. The London flights have plenty of last minute paid C business travelers so no incentive for UA to give away seats with awards. Hopefully you have a backup plan or maybe a lot of flexibility. Sometimes i see routings on Air Canada and occasionally Swiss/Austrian but both of those will require a detour.
Old Dec 8, 18, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Seems like I'm screwed. There have been a few options on BA over the past few months, but I didn't want to pay the surcharge for both legs. Looks like I will be going with plan B unfortunately.

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
chances are pretty much zero. I4 available on ANY TATL route the weekend after NYE is near zero when you try and book 330 days out; 1 month out it is ... zero.
My flights back from Europe are J0 and have been J0 for quite some time ... I booked it in January when P was available.

Surprisingly, for your routes there is still some P available (shocking) ... so I would seriously look for paid tickets ... assuming the outbound is not 12/20, 12/21 and other high demand dates.
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is P?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 8, 18 at 9:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 8, 18, 6:05 pm

Opt for Y and best be quick about it. It's a day flight so not the worst thing that can happen.
Old Dec 8, 18, 6:29 pm

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is P?
P is the most-discounted Business fare. Unfortunately, it usually requires round-trip travel and that particular fare class has to have inventory on the dates/flights you want.
Old Dec 8, 18, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR LTPP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Yeah, but OP is looking for 1 way, which could be twice a RT P fare.
not if the OP cancels the outbound BA award. If cancelling the entire trip is the other option the OP might as well check if el cheapo P is still available as a r/t. Probably a no-go because of AP requirements though. Tough to make such changes a few weeks before travel.
Old Dec 8, 18, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
For what it's worth Norwegian has Premium seats on non-stop flights from Gatwick 3X a week for about $1,500
BThumme and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 10, 18, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I'm down to my final few hours! I'm mostly resigned to my fate, but making one last ditch effort to see what I can find. I'm open to most destinations in Europe. Are there any particular destinations that typically have a lot of availability? Seems like almost everything comes back through London anyway, but throwing it out there in case anyone knows of a destination that commonly has big award flight availability.
Old Dec 10, 18, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
I'm down to my final few hours! I'm mostly resigned to my fate, but making one last ditch effort to see what I can find. I'm open to most destinations in Europe. Are there any particular destinations that typically have a lot of availability? Seems like almost everything comes back through London anyway, but throwing it out there in case anyone knows of a destination that commonly has big award flight availability.
From the West Coast there are not a lot of options. Economy to the East Coast, then start looking for TATL -- BRU or AMS which are easy to get back to London
Old Dec 10, 18, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
From the West Coast there are not a lot of options. Economy to the East Coast, then start looking for TATL -- BRU or AMS which are easy to get back to London
I think that the OP is trying to get back to LAX, so should be looking at what you suggested in the opposite direction. BRU or AMS to the East Coast, then Economy to the West Coast.
Old Dec 10, 18, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Maybe look for westbound flights?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: