Search

United Selling Premium Economy Awards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
United Selling Premium Economy Awards

Apologies if this was reported elsewhere but likely warrants its own thread (or merge into existing thread if appropriate). Looks like UA is now selling Premium Economy awards on UA metal. Pricing is absurd with Premium Economy (allegedly saver level) coming in at a whopping 120k miles OW to Europe

Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
They are pretty clearly Standard Awards as they use last-seat inventory and are midway between Economy Standard and Business Standard.

120k each way to Europe, 135k to Japan and North Asia, and 140k to South Asia
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Pricing is absurd with Premium Economy (allegedly saver level) coming in at a whopping 120k miles OW to Europe
You're misreading it, the lowest available PE award for your trip is at the standard level which is 120k. Saver pricing would be lower.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
You're misreading it, the lowest available PE award for your trip is at the standard level which is 120k. Saver pricing would be lower.
They still haven't published an award table for PE. One would guess that a Saver award would be between Saver Y and Saver J, of course, but so far I haven't heard of any inventory.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Any idea what the new saver bucket is? I would think RN is upgrade availability, and ON is standard award availability. I would have guessed AN, but that’s not a valid fare bucket. Maybe I?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Yesterday I saw ON bucket at 45k on CDG-EWR-SFO for some date in August next year. That price puts it square in the middle of econ at 30 and biz at 60. Perhaps they're not planning on having a separate saver PE award bucket until there is a unified star alliance one?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mrt88
Yesterday I saw ON bucket at 45k on CDG-EWR-SFO for some date in August next year. That price puts it square in the middle of econ at 30 and biz at 60. Perhaps they're not planning on having a separate saver PE award bucket until there is a unified star alliance one?
That would be a really distressing step toward wholly dynamic award pricing, but it's hard to find it surprising..
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yeah I see it's not saver but the UA website and calendar are treating 120k as the lowest available in the same manner they treat saver Y and J (green in the calendar and listing it as lowest available).

But from the sounds of it at the moment there may not be a saver category so this is the lowest level currently available if one wants PE.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
That would be a really distressing step toward wholly dynamic award pricing, but it's hard to find it surprising..
I really hope UA doesn't go to dynamic award pricing.. but, on the other hand, saver-priced awards that book into JN or YN would be fantastic for SDC purposes. So if they do move in that direction -- and it's not like we could stop them -- at least there'd be a silver lining.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I am concerned that this is the next shoe to drop. Overall I have been pleasantly surprised by the P+ implementation.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: Several
Wholly dynamic pricing would be a practical deal breaker for me with earning miles. I mostly use mine for relatively short, domestic flights where I can usually get over $0.02/mile value and over $0.04 if last minute. If dynamic pricing came in, it would probably cost an absurd amount of miles for me to use. Yet, like you said, hardly surprising. I've actually been able to find several saver awards this year, to my surprise, that fit with my schedule. I think this has actually been one of my most successful years as far as value is concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.