Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Messy Do the Lavs have to get before FAs are Required to do Something?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Messy Do the Lavs have to get before FAs are Required to do Something?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question How Messy Do the Lavs have to get before FAs are Required to do Something?

Another curiosity question...

I was on a 10 hour day time TATL flight. The lavs (not just one, at least 2 out of the 4 on the 787) got really messy - not dirty (i.e. does not smell like NYC Subway), just messy (paper towels all over, trash bin almost full). It stayed that way the entire flight.

I know United is not EVA where the FAs tidy up the lav, even in Y, almost too much...and "keeping the lavs tidy" is most likely not on UA FA's list of responsibilities (after all, they are here primarily for our safety). However, is there anything that would have required them to do anything?

Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by username
is there anything that would have required them to do anything?
Only if it affects the safety of the flight.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I guess they could just close off that particular lav if it becomes a problem.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username
However, is there anything that would have required them to do anything?
No - except closing it.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
With the attitude and looks you get for asking a FA for another glass of wine, I would assume that an FA has never touched a lav. They'd likely just lock it and label it INOP.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:45 am

Did you try asking them?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:59 am

Should it happen? Absolutely.

Will it happen on a US airline? No way.
Miggles and brp1264 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:05 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
I think that's asking too much. It's better if fellow passengers would be courteous and clean up after themselves.
trooper, able and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:41 am
Suspended

If they don't have to clean the lavs, I don't have to collect my garbage.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I don't know what they are supposed to do.

I always pick up the trash and restock, as needed, when I come back for a break. Can't stand when the lav is a mess. Plus, it's a good excuse to stay standing for a couple extra minutes before returning to my seat.

Last edited by LarryJ; Dec 1, 2018 at 7:28 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I did not ask them since I am pretty sure they don't view it as their job. If I had their rubber gloves, I would have cleaned it up for them. Just picking up the loose paper towels on the floor and on the sink area and then push down the garbage would have made things look a lot better.

Maybe next time I will ask for the gloves and do it myself.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I fly OAL internationally because they act like they want your business, clean the lavs, etc. {Some here} think its the pax responsibility to keep the airplane lavs clean I guess. I used the slimline lav this week. It's nearly impossible to prevent water splashing with that thing. The floor was nearly covered with water. This airline is literally turning into a sewer with its cost cuts. Just gross.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2018 at 11:57 am Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LarryJ
...I always pick up the trash and restock, as needed, when I come back for a break. Can't stand when the lav is a mess. Plus, it's a good excuse to stay standing for a couple extra minutes before returning to my seat.
I was waiting for someone to 'fess up to a little housecleaning. I was debating as to whether to reveal this, but I occasionally clean up a little too, even though I'm a passenger. It's the only lav outside my own homes that I will do that. I'm not even sure why I do it...

edit - thought about it a little more as to why I do it - maybe (unlike other restrooms) it's because the darn thing is flying with me.
DenverBrian and Airfan like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 1, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am not sure if it is cost cutting that is the issue. It is really how jobs are divided and the way the employees views as their duty or not. Between our country culture and our corporate culture, we decide how much extra mile to go to take care of our customers. USA and UA are not known for customer service, unfortunately.

There are UA FAs, for example, who actually decorate the lav - even in domestic F - to make the experience pleasant for the passengers. However, it is not their job and the company certainly does not reward or appreciate those who go the extra mile, so...
Miggles and trooper like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I would be happy if they would just smash down the trash. Surely they could be supplied with some sort of "stick" or something. No way a pax is gonna stick his bare hand in there.

P.S. on at least 2 of my last flights someone has stolen the hand lotion out of the Biz lavs. I know it's expensive stuff but how tacky can you get?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.