Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus Fare in GDS (for sale starting 3 Dec 2018, travel after 30 March 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DetroitFlyer
UA PP mini site online, thanks @coolbeans202
http://view.ceros.com/united/premiumplus/p/1
  • United® Premium Plus will be available for sale beginning December 3 for travel March 30 and beyond.
  • Long-haul flights that will offer United® Premium Plus include trans-Pacific flights, trans-Atlantic flights and flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago, São Paulo. For a complete list of planned PP markets, see the press release below.
  • Revenue Premium Plus fare codes are O, A, and R.
  • Award Premium Plus fare code is ON.
  • Upgrade Premium Plus fare code is RN.
  • Earn 150% Premier qualifying miles and 1.5 Premier qualifying segments when you purchase a fare in United® Premium Plus.
  • Upgrade instruments (GPU or miles+cash) can be used to upgrade to PE and/or J. There will be no fare class restriction for Y -> PE upgrades, and no fare class restriction for PE -> J upgrades.
  • If a pax requests an upgrade to either cabin, and clears into the PE cabin, they will remain waitlisted for the J cabin but the instrument will considered used for the PE upgrade (except miles+cash is expected to have a separate upgrade chart and a partial refund will be issued in this case).
  • PE fares will delegate to B (Economy) on UA domestic sectors and will allow free E+, and lowest available up to Y/U/Q on partner metal sectors with a UA code.

United Airlines Announces Sale Date for United® Premium Plus, Airline's Premium Economy Offering

CHICAGO, Nov. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines announced that its newest premium seating, United® Premium Plus will be on sale beginning December 3, for travel on select international flights starting March 30, 2019. The new premium economy experience will be available on 21 routes by the end of May 2019.

"United® Premium Plus gives our customers more options so they can choose the best experience that fits their wants and needs when they travel," said Andrew Nocella, United's executive vice president and chief commercial officer. "United® Premium Plus includes some of our high-end amenities from United Polaris, and is the perfect option for someone who wants an upgraded experience in the Economy cabin."

Customers traveling in United® Premium Plus will enjoy an elevated travel experience before their flight even leaves the ground, receiving complimentary standard checked bags, as well as Premier Access check-in and priority boarding. United will also offer discounted entrance at United ClubSM locations for customers traveling in United® Premium Plus.

For more images visit United's media gallery on the United Hub.

Once on board, customers will enjoy a spacious seat with more legroom, elbow room and recline than a standard Economy Plus® or Economy seat, as well as a hearty welcome meal, mid-flight snacks and a pre-arrival dining service. In addition to beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages, liquor will also be complimentary in United® Premium Plus. Customers will also receive an amenity kit, a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and plush pillow, as well as noise-reducing headphones, making it easier to enjoy hundreds of hours of entertainment on larger seatback entertainment screens. Seats will also be equipped with individual power and USB outlets, dedicated overhead bins and extra storage for customers to keep devices at hand throughout their entire flight.

United®Premium Plus Aircraft and Routes

The new premium economy seats debuted on select Boeing 777-200ER and 777-300ER aircraft earlier this summer, and United took delivery of its first 787-10 aircraft earlier this month with United Polaris business class and United® Premium Plus seats installed. All aircraft with United® Premium Plus seats also feature the airline's signature United Polaris business class direct-aisle-access seats. On average, United is adding one aircraft with United Polaris business class and United® Premium Plus seating every 10 days from now through 2020.

Awards and Upgrades
In addition to purchasing a United® Premium Plus seat, MileagePlus members will have the option to book award travel in United® Premium Plus by using their MileagePlus miles. For upgrades, either a single Global Premier Upgrade or a MileagePlus Upgrade Award can be used to move up to a United® Premium Plus seat or to United's Polaris business class cabin. For more information on United's premium economy experience visit united.com/PremiumPlus.
Print Wikipost

Premium Plus Fare in GDS (for sale starting 3 Dec 2018, travel after 30 March 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am struggling on the IRROPS argument but will wait to see what happens with my flights.
I am wondering if they will treat PP as a Y fare that allows a person to sit in PP but in times of IRROPS puts a person back into a Y+\Y- seat. Isn’t that how discounted dom F fares work?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
I am wondering if they will treat PP as a Y fare that allows a person to sit in PP but in times of IRROPS puts a person back into a Y+\Y- seat. Isn’t that how discounted dom F fares work?
P+, domestic F, and international J all work the same way: the affected passenger has the choice of taking the next available seat or waiting for a seat in the ticketed cabin. Depending upon availability, said passenger may also be able to get rebooked onto another carrier in the originally ticketed class of service. Although *A policy appears to suggest that upgrades should be preserved during IRROPS if traveling on an intercontinental flight, in practice that seems to be hit or miss.

There was a period of time a couple of years ago where domestic F was being forced into Y by some agents even when F space was available. That seems to have stopped, and the specific attribute that seemed to be causing this -- the fact that the first letter of the filed fare was for an economy bucket -- doesn't apply to P+. So I don't anticipate any problems getting into an open P+ seat in the case of IRROPS, but if there's no P+ available, expect to have a choice between Y (and no refund) and waiting for P+.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just picked up P+ to/from NRT in May for $1.6k and change. Seating map was wide open...17K PQM and a better chance for J upgrade, seemed like a no-brainer for ~$300 premium over the lowest (non J-upgradable) available Y fare.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am pleasantly surprised by the rather modest fare differential on some routes — hoping that differential sticks.
eflyte likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
I am pleasantly surprised by the rather modest fare differential on some routes — hoping that differential sticks.
I figure it must be a fluke...but we'll see.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eflyte
I figure it must be a fluke...but we'll see.
Indeed. I'm hoping to sort out some vacation travel before they have a chance to reconsider, as I'm worried that may be the case.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
To Asia perhaps, but SFO-Europe is still pricing at painful levels.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To Asia perhaps, but SFO-Europe is still pricing at painful levels.
Yes, although that seems to be true across the board for TATL, with the sometimes exception of discount Y and -LGT fares.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I'm sorry, I've read quite a bit including the wiki and still have one question:

If I use a GPU and want to move from economy ONLY to business class (I do not give a hoot about premium plus and don't want to waste a GPU going there), it appears that upgrading to business is only an option if I can find an open upgradable business class seat. Otherwise, I have to wait list and can end up in Premium Plus and have thus wasted my GPU if the further upgrade to business class does not clear.

Do I have this correct?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm sorry, I've read quite a bit including the wiki and still have one question:

If I use a GPU and want to move from economy ONLY to business class (I do not give a hoot about premium plus and don't want to waste a GPU going there), it appears that upgrading to business is only an option if I can find an open upgradable business class seat. Otherwise, I have to wait list and can end up in Premium Plus and have thus wasted my GPU if the further upgrade to business class does not clear.

Do I have this correct?
I don't think that's correct. You can use your GPU on a W fare or higher and only waitlist for Polaris/business from economy. If it clears, your GPU is deducted and you sit in Polaris/Business. If it doesn't clear the GPU is refunded and you sit in economy.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111
I don't think that's correct. You can use your GPU on a W fare or higher and only waitlist for Polaris/business from economy. If it clears, your GPU is deducted and you sit in Polaris/Business. If it doesn't clear the GPU is refunded and you sit in economy.
Okay, so I can waitlist *ONLY* for business? I'm totally satisfied with that then. :-). Thanks!
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Seems like the GPU page is fully updated to reflect Premium Plus. However, in the notes it states:

In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United Polaris business class, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United Polaris business class segment(s) could not be upgraded.
I read to that say that if you waitlist for both Premium Plus and Polaris, that if Polaris doesn't clear you'll get the GPU back even if upgraded to PP.

Could very well be an oversight by not updating that section of the page, though.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Okay, so I can waitlist *ONLY* for business? I'm totally satisfied with that then. :-). Thanks!
Yeah I just did this last night I booked a trip to HKG when I was buying the ticket it had a large prompt that came up and asked if I wanted to waitlist for PP or only for polaris business, with all the terms and conditions etc, and I chose the latter

(I knew the flight had PZ open so I simply called in and they pushed the UG through)
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by whitethunder
Yeah I just did this last night I booked a trip to HKG when I was buying the ticket it had a large prompt that came up and asked if I wanted to waitlist for PP or only for polaris business, with all the terms and conditions etc, and I chose the latter

(I knew the flight had PZ open so I simply called in and they pushed the UG through)
Excellent, many thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Could very well be an oversight by not updating that section of the page, though.
It's an oversight. The T&C seemed pretty clear when they posted them; if you waitlist for both P+ and J, and you end up in P+, the GPU is considered used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.