Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Surplus beverage vouchers - what do you do with them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surplus beverage vouchers - what do you do with them?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Santander
I have a few sheets of Continental Currency gathering dust somewhere...
Me too, I don’t have the nerve to use them lol
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If my seatmates turn out not to be jerks, I always buy drinks for them.

Seriously - despite the 1 F&B limit, I am surprised that the FAs do not really care about the limit. Basically, I can grab multiple items for free. Sometimes, they push the items to me...
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by chavala

Me too, I don’t have the nerve to use them lol
I always have a backup of a current (unexpired coupon) in case the FA rejects (which has happened only once, on a flight with a Munich-based flight crew, or at least a German FA on a UA flight).
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:32 am

Holiday Cheer

Over the Holidays, each year, I chat up the lead flight attendant and ask her/he to buy service members and their companion a drink (anonymously). Each time these lead flight attendants will return the unused vouches with thanks and a wink.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:54 am

Great idea to give them to uniformed military. I have quite a few expired and current. I'm usually working so I don't want to use them. Great way to show appreciation.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
I have a few sheets of Continental Currency gathering dust somewhere...
I was on a UA flight this summer (TATL, heading ... somewhere in Europe, I forget which trip) where someone DID trade in a Continental chit for a drink. One of the really old ones that I recognized quite well, printed on special paper with flecks of color in it to discourage counterfeiting (were those the Currency certificates?). The FAs in the back galley were wondering how old it was and marveling that the pax still had it. I recognied it from having used them in graduate school, which would make it at least 20 years old.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I have some that are still good for headphones. Maybe I'll try one.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MitchR
Great idea to give them to uniformed military. I have quite a few expired and current. I'm usually working so I don't want to use them. Great way to show appreciation.
Not sure that uniformed military should be drinking as I believe they are working during that time frame. Otherwise they wouldn’t be in uniform.
Thoufh my relatives in the services tell me they are generally advised to travel in civilian clothing when on commerial flights.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by SAN 1K

Not sure that uniformed military should be drinking as I believe they are working during that time frame. Otherwise they wouldn’t be in uniform.
I had the same thoughts.

The other thing is I hardly see any uniformed military personnel on UA flights. It would take me years to give away my drink chits to this group. (I guess years of domestic UA flying might be equivalent to weeks for some US based UA flyers.)
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Agree - hardly ever in uniform, but typically you can spot their military backpack.

Just gave 4 to a nice young man going on his first deployment, sitting nearby on our UAX feeder flight.

2 Expired, and 2 current...I would be shocked if an FA quibbled about drink chit expiration with a deploying military member.

Hopefully helped him get some sleep on his TATL overnight in Y
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SAN 1K

Thoufh my relatives in the services tell me they are generally advised to travel in civilian clothing when on commerial flights.
Bolding mine: I was told on several occasions by my uniformed seat mates* that they are not supposed to drink if in uniform on a commercial flight tho I told them all to keep the vouchers for future flights when they were not flying in uniform and needless to say, I met no resistance with that

*3 that I remember were an Army Captain, Coast Guard Petty Officer and a Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
give them to co-workers. Or anyone else you know. I still have 40-50 sitting around ... they are difficult to use for a 1K
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:06 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Funny you just posted this. I actually forgot I had them have a flight tomorrow so it's time!
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I travel on 12/24 every year. I usually hand them out to the first BG5 folks I see after clearing security at ORD.
SPN Lifer, st3, Dublin_rfk and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:37 am

That was fast. Someone took them already. Enjoy!

----

I have about ~30 expired drink voucher I'm about to toss out. Some expired in 2018 and 2020. If anyone can use them, i'm happy to mail them to you for free. Just PM me with your address and I'll mail them your way.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by james1; Aug 7, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.