Suggestions for a segment run

Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Plat UA Silver Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Suggestions for a segment run

I'm at 48 this week and I have as far as I can tell 8 more before Dec 31. There's a lot of travel planned next year so I'm thinking about making a segment run to make Gold (would probably be worth it (to me anyway). Home airport is YYZ but also can drive to BUF easily. Has anyone done something like that before that can suggest a simple routing that's not too expensive (a day turn would be great)? I'm thinking something like RDU via IAD from YYZ can be done for less than $400, or maybe STL? I'm trying to get the earlier confirmation of E+ so I'm not stuck in middle seats (Too tall, and perhaps too wide for those too often that Gold appears to offer.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
I've read of people doing a SDC to add segments, but haven't tried it myself.

You could go BUF - IAD - EWR for $137 one way and about 4 hrs of time. You might be able to add extra segments by doing a SDC at IAD. IAD - EWR flights route direct, or connect through BOS, CLE, CLT, RIC, RDU, PIT, PWM, SYR, DTW, CMH, and of course BUF. Sounds like you might have an opportunity to SDC and add a few legs to arrive back home with 4+ segments for a day's effort at your $400 budget.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni
Sounds like you might have an opportunity to SDC and add a few legs to arrive back home with 4+ segments for a day's effort at your $400 budget.
I would not count on this as a strategy, as there's no guarantee that you can add segments in this manner. UA has cut down quite a bit on their flexibility. Also, OP doesn't yet have Gold, so there would likely be a $75 charge per SDC.

Best just to book BUF-IAD-EWR-IAD-BUF for $274 if the one-way is $137.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
I would not count on this as a strategy, as there's no guarantee that you can add segments in this manner. UA has cut down quite a bit on their flexibility. Also, OP doesn't yet have Gold, so there would likely be a $75 charge per SDC.

Good point -- I forgot that SDC incurs a fee below Gold. If you plan for 4 and aren't able to add legs you'll still be happy with the results.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

I see $274 BUF-IAD-EWR // EWR-IAD-BUF same-day turn.

I also see $269 YYZ-ORD-DTW // DTW-EWR-YYZ, save $5 and shorter drive.

There are YYZ-ALB and YYZ-BOS options for <$300 too.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Plat UA Silver Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Thanks all - that YYZ ORD DTW approach looks pretty easy to do.

I actually looked at an SDC for tomorrow's flight IAD - YYZ and it is giving me the added segment via ORD or EWR, but it's too early in the morning and, yep, $75 charge :-(
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Use ITA software to force as many segs as you need on a one way YYZ-YYZ or BUF-BUF.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YYZ-CVG is $270 CAD on 12/12 and YYZ-MSP is available for $280 CAD (same date). BUF-JAX is available from $158 USD (12/5, 12/6, 12/8, 12/11, 12/12) in Basic Economy. The majority of fares only allow a single connections (and non-stop's on fares to hubs) these days and trying to force additional segments will result in broken fares and considerably higher pricing.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 21, 2018 at 12:12 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
dec1-dec2. buf-aus for 262.00 rent a car and drive out to the salt lick and eat some bbq. take in some live music.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ
BUF-JAX is available from $158 USD (12/5, 12/6, 12/8, 12/11, 12/12) in Basic Economy. .
Basic economy only earns you RDM (no PQM, PQS, PQD, or LTM towards MM status). So, OP cannot book BE fare for his/her purpose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.