Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA eliminating PHL-IAD flights. UPDATE - Flights Being Restored as of OCT 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA eliminating PHL-IAD flights. UPDATE - Flights Being Restored as of OCT 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
So will they rely more on ZFV-EWR instead??
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA is unlikely to add IAD-PHL as there is likely close to zero O&D traffic and it is hard to see driving to IAD to catch a micro-haul. AA also won't likely add DCA-PHL because DCA is slot-controlled and that would mean giving up some other frequencies which I find hard to imagine.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
There has already been extensive discussion on this subject in another thread: United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions but I think this is a really poor decision on UA's part. They are basically saying that if you are a PHL based flyer, the Southeast part of the US is no longer accessible via UA and using IAD as a European gateway is also no longer possible.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:03 pm

Do you mean AA wont add MORE DCA-PHL? They already fly DCA-PHL 4 times a day.

Originally Posted by Often1
AA is unlikely to add IAD-PHL as there is likely close to zero O&D traffic and it is hard to see driving to IAD to catch a micro-haul. AA also won't likely add DCA-PHL because DCA is slot-controlled and that would mean giving up some other frequencies which I find hard to imagine.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jasondc
Do you mean AA wont add MORE DCA-PHL? They already fly DCA-PHL 4 times a day.
Right. To add a rotation to anywhere, AA must use a slot. Whether DCA on an ERJ or MIA on a 757, it is using the slot.

The larger problem is that those are the first frequencies cancelled or delayed during inevitable ATC limits everytime it rains or there is a gust of wind between RIC and BOS.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mecabq
Not discounting your theory, but isn't it typical for short flights like this to have high fares? Few people probably use this flight for O&D, and UA doesn't want to be in a position to not be able to sell a $1500 flight PHL-IAD-LHR because the seat is taken up by someone flying a $150 fare PHL-IAD. Relatedly, anyone who buys that flight only from PHL-IAD is probably willing to pay a premium. (Same issue with any non-stop but probably even more true for these ultra-short flights.) What's the history of fares on this route?

I used to fly US Airways often from BWI to connect in PHL (some 90 miles), and saw the same pattern; can't imagine that many people were O&D in BWI and PHL.
Fare profile was normal before summer 2018 (I think). It would start at $80 few months out and climb up to about $500 2-3 days before the flight, just like any other regional hub-spoke flight. You had several folks flying in from Philly into Dulles, putting up in hotel around Sterling (ALOFT, IHG) $70/night, staying 4 nights and flying back. RT 267 government contractors around Reston, Herndon, Ashburn areas. What's possible though is that with Metro extended all the way to Reston it perhaps makes better sense for them to take the train to Union Station, DC and then Metro to Reston probably even cutting Uber/Rental Car expenses. I haven't worked in the area for a while so not sure how the travel dynamic changed, but raising the price high up to $380 for flights several months out is VERY unusual. RT is $750. You could fly RT to India/China for that price!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
You could fly RT to India/China for that price!
Indeed: if you have to get from PHL to IAD with a budget of $750, it is not beyond the realm of possibility to find a Qatar Airways open jaw PHL-India-IAD for close to that.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:41 am

Yes, I understand how slot airports work. I use to be an slot administrator. My point is this - the way you wrote your note sounded as if they didnt already fly the route. AA does fly DCA-PHL. 4 times a day. And it's all for connections.

Originally Posted by Often1
Right. To add a rotation to anywhere, AA must use a slot. Whether DCA on an ERJ or MIA on a 757, it is using the slot.

The larger problem is that those are the first frequencies cancelled or delayed during inevitable ATC limits everytime it rains or there is a gust of wind between RIC and BOS.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I have PHL-IAD-IAH end of the month, just so I can have afternoon meeting and then take the last flight out at 8 PM. The next to last flight would be connection PHL-ORD-IAH at 5 PM and PHL-IAH at 4:55 PM, too early to accommodate afternoon meetings.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Interestingly enough, if you try to book a PHL-IAD flight for any date after UA ends direct flights between those two airports, you just get an error message, So UA isn't even bothering to route you between those destinations. The same holds true for a few nearby cities: PHL - RDU also can't be booked anymore.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Interestingly enough, if you try to book a PHL-IAD flight for any date after UA ends direct flights between those two airports, you just get an error message, So UA isn't even bothering to route you between those destinations. The same holds true for a few nearby cities: PHL - RDU also can't be booked anymore.
That must be an oversight they surely will correct?
The recently canceled AVP-EWR still routes....although not sure anyone would actually fly it: AVP-IAD-EWR, AVP-IAD-RIC-EWR, and AVP-IAD-ORF-EWR
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:44 pm

UGH.

This has terrible ramifications for me.

PHL-TPA via IAD is a 4 hr routing. Effective in January the only routing possible is through IAH or ORD and takes a minimum of 7 hours. As a side note, the Phillies spring training camp is in the Tampa area....

PHL-RDU is NOT EVEN BOOKABLE AFTER JANUARY 12 (!?!). Currently ~3 hr trip via IAD.

PHL-FLL goes from 5 hrs to 8 hrs.

There are several IAD connections internationally — both on United and on codeshare partners — that are now no longer options for people flying out of PHL.

I don’t understand this move at all.
narvik and east_west like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:42 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Who here remembers back when there was UA BWI-IAD on the tiny little BAE J31s? That was a crazy route to last so long before getting axed...

Sometimes the bus out to the ramp took longer than the flight!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Lefleur
UGH.

This has terrible ramifications for me.

PHL-TPA via IAD is a 4 hr routing. Effective in January the only routing possible is through IAH or ORD and takes a minimum of 7 hours. As a side note, the Phillies spring training camp is in the Tampa area....

PHL-RDU is NOT EVEN BOOKABLE AFTER JANUARY 12 (!?!). Currently ~3 hr trip via IAD.

PHL-FLL goes from 5 hrs to 8 hrs.

There are several IAD connections internationally — both on United and on codeshare partners — that are now no longer options for people flying out of PHL.

I don’t understand this move at all.
perhaps look into the ZFV (30th Street Station) to EWR via Amtrak as a possibility, sometimes the fares are very good
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Who remembers SFO to OAK back in '90s. And UA was using I think, wide bodies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.