FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1940155-premium-plus-premium-economy-seats-experience.html)

dwcatty Dec 22, 2023 4:30 am

Originally Posted by meadowsm (Post 35837327)
Hello!

My wife and I have a long layover on our flight to Frankfurt from Newark. The United website says that we get discounted access to the United Club lounge. Does anyone know how much it costs with the discount?

Thanks!

We bought passes in EWR in November for $41 flying in PP. When I was offered the bundle online prior to flying it was $42, I passed, then it vanished. When we got to EWR I decided to see if we could pay at the door and was pleasantly surprised to save a couple of bucks.

Originally Posted by dwcatty (Post 35667274)
Ok, another "should I sit in the bulkhead or not" question. Now that UA has gone to one configuration on the 777, how is the 'cut thru' factor in row 20? Flying overnight EWR-CDG with my wife and none of the two seat window/aisles are available - sucks, but that's the way it is. We can be in 20, 21 or 22, as either a D/E or an F/G. I don't care about the IFE - all I'm going to do is eat and try to sleep. If the space in front of the row 20 seats isn't used as a walkway I think I'd go for that. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by elitefreak (Post 35669139)
I am 6'2" and much prefer non-bulkhead. You can stretch your legs out much further under the seat in front of you. Bulkhead seats are slightly narrower I believe because of the pop-up screens, which are smaller than non BH.

Not to mention the the "cut thru" issue . . .

So we booked and flew in the bulkhead, 20 D/E in PP on a 777. For me it was the right choice. There was no issue of people cutting through,ever. The IFE was on a post that swiveled up so had no effect on the seat width, and I liked the under leg foot rest that lifted up from under the seat. The downside of course is you can't put anything on the floor under the seat in front of you, but the F seat on our flight was unoccupied and my wife left her purse on that seat.

I'm 6'1" and had sufficient space to be comfortable. Now, I don't sleep on things that move (planes, trains, automobiles) which really sucks on an overnight flight to Europe. I did manage to get about 2 hours of sleep on this flight, which I considered a minor miracle. That they only give you one cup of coffee with breakfast is a sin.

CLTRob Dec 31, 2023 11:28 am

Has anyone flown premium economy on both AA and UA? I’ve flown AA premium economy to Europe and South America, B777 and B787, respectively. I found that the premium economy seats in both aircraft were very uncomfortable having minimal padding. I’m wondering if UA’s premium economy seats have more padding and are more comfortable. Thank!

docbert Jan 1, 2024 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 35836180)
Choices, choices... Which should I pick...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a92a5f3e6a.png

The prices above were for my BNE-SFO leg, but they were the same on the earlier SFO-BNE leg.

At the 24 hour mark, the prices dropped (during check-in) to $300 for PP, and (I think) $2499 for Polaris. I was tempted by the $300, but ended up not going for it as I scored hobo business classes (aka 3 seats in E+, made even better by one of the FA's bringing me a PP blanket, pillow and amenity kit shortly after takeoff!). Polaris went out full (48) with about 16 of those being pass riders. PE had 3 people total.

For the return (the one the above screenshot it from) I managed to change my economy award to a PE award a few days before the flight (70k miles - they had been over 200k until then). PE end up sold out. Polaris upgrades (from PE) were $2199.

Originally Posted by dwcatty (Post 35841909)
So we booked and flew in the bulkhead, 20 D/E in PP on a 777. For me it was the right choice. There was no issue of people cutting through,ever. The IFE was on a post that swiveled up so had no effect on the seat width, and I liked the under leg foot rest that lifted up from under the seat.

I had my first bulkhead PP today, on a 787-9 in 20L (ie, not the middle section). The leg room was frustratingly almost perfect - I needed about 1-2 inches more and it would have been great, but as it was my feet kept hitting the "seatback" pocket that was on the bulkhead. Getting in and out of the window seat is definitely better in row 20 than in the other rows, especially if the person in front is reclined. I'll probably prefer row 21 over 20 going forward if both are available. If it's down to 20 or 22 it'd be a harder choice (the issue with row 22 being meal selection).

I never use the seatback monitors to watch movies, but I do like to have the airshow running on it to see where we are at. The inconvenience of the monitors in row 20 meant that I didn't do that on this flight - it wasn't worth screwing with them just to watch airshow.

anc-ord772 Jan 3, 2024 11:20 am

Originally Posted by CLTRob (Post 35864022)
Has anyone flown premium economy on both AA and UA? I’ve flown AA premium economy to Europe and South America, B777 and B787, respectively. I found that the premium economy seats in both aircraft were very uncomfortable having minimal padding. I’m wondering if UA’s premium economy seats have more padding and are more comfortable. Thank!

I've flown PE on AA 777 and UA 787 and both seats are the same Collins MiQ seat. I find the padding to be the same.

dinoscool3 Jan 9, 2024 7:33 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 35731448)
Looking at PIT-TPE. Was hoping to route PIT-EWR-SFO-TPE, but it won't let me book EWR-SFO in PP even when there is R space. When I plug in multi-city it increases two fold. Does UA not allow transcon PP flights when buying an international PP ticket?

So I was wrong, there is no R, and apparently there's no R on any EWR-SFO flights... Dumb question, but if I book into B, can I get on a waitlist into R if it ever opens?

WineCountryUA Jan 9, 2024 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 35891834)
So I was wrong, there is no R, and apparently there's no R on any EWR-SFO flights... Dumb question, but if I book into B, can I get on a waitlist into R if it ever opens?

So R0 for all flights (note 752 and 772HD don't have PremPlus but the rest of the widebodies used on EWR-SFO do have PremPlus)

If you are asking if you booked into B, will you automatically get R if it opens or be waitlisted for R, answer is no.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...t-i-put-f.html for a similar situation.

dinoscool3 Jan 9, 2024 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35894006)
So R0 for all flights (note 752 and 772HD don't have PremPlus but the rest of the widebodies used on EWR-SFO do have PremPlus)

If you are asking if you booked into B, will you automatically get R if it opens or be waitlisted for R, answer is no.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...t-i-put-f.html for a similar situation.

Yes, R0 on all EWR-SFO except the red eyes, for all the dates I was looking at in March. I eventually ended up booking between LAX and HND instead, and suffer in Y on the way back through DEN, and will monitor to see if R opens up for the same price.

Repooc17 Jan 10, 2024 3:08 pm

United has to train its FAs better. Observe FAs often have difficulty answering questions about seat functions. I have lost count on how many times I have helped fellow pax on bringing up the video screen from the bulkhead row, or figuring out where to plug in the headset, among other design deficiencies of its PE seats.

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 35891834)

​​​​​​I picked a random date in March, and there are a lot of R inventory on EWR-SFO.

dinoscool3 Jan 10, 2024 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35896885)
United has to train its FAs better. Observe FAs often have difficulty answering questions about seat functions. I have lost count on how many times I have helped fellow pax on bringing up the video screen from the bulkhead row, or figuring out where to plug in the headset, among other design deficiencies of its PE seats.

​​​​​​I picked a random date in March, and there are a lot of R inventory on EWR-SFO.

Which date? I’m looking first and third week and don’t see anything beyond red eyes.

Repooc17 Jan 10, 2024 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 35897016)
Which date? I’m looking first and third week and don’t see anything beyond red eyes.

Every day I looked.

But I was just looking at EWR-SFO by itself, maybe there are fare filing restrictions for the wholly PIT-TPE itinerary?

Also there are no EWR-SFO redeyes, only the other way :)

zombietooth Jan 14, 2024 11:15 am

P+ to TYO, price guidance for MAY/JUN/JUL

I need to book flights to Tokyo for the summer and usually buy P+ and apply PlusPoints, hoping for UG. I've noticed that the cheapest fares this year are around $500- more than even a few months ago, with the lowest sitting at around 2.5K. Is anybody seeing anything better than that?

Repooc17 Jan 21, 2024 12:03 am

PE seat with flimsy tape:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...487385f435.jpg

ihpj Jan 21, 2024 4:54 am

I hope to be flying the bulkhead seats on an upcoming trip LHR - IAH (777) in February, I have picked the bulkhead seats and hope to share a picture of these bulkhead seats in case it helps anyone else.

I decided to pick these for the legroom but can’t find a decent picture of what this looks like on Google - but reading this thread gave me the confidence that I’ve picked the right ones!

dinoscool3 Jan 21, 2024 5:49 am

Originally Posted by ihpj (Post 35928087)
I hope to be flying the bulkhead seats on an upcoming trip LHR - IAH (777) in February, I have picked the bulkhead seats and hope to share a picture of these bulkhead seats in case it helps anyone else.

I decided to pick these for the legroom but can’t find a decent picture of what this looks like on Google - but reading this thread gave me the confidence that I’ve picked the right ones!

After my last PP flight in row 21, I’ll never not choose 20 again!

lhrsfo Jan 21, 2024 8:00 am

I’ve often flown in rows 21 and 22 and they’re fine and , for me, preferable overnight as you can fully stretch out. On day flights I prefer row 20 (except they make you put your screen away too soon, but rows 21 and 22 are still very comfortable.