Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FF number mistake, result no miles on partner or UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver

OK... So recently took a flight on TAP Luanda to Budapest, when entering the FF on the TAP site, I put in the MP number, but didn't change the airline code, so it was registered as a TAP FF number. Of course, it was wrong, as the TAP FF numbers are totally different. And anyone looking at my TAP Victoria account would be able to see this.

I only noticed the error, when I arrived back to Luanda and noticed that the return leg was credited to my MP account. I entered the FF numbers when checking in for each leg. Anyway, I dashed off a note to MP and was told that the flight had already been credited to the TAP account. OK... So I check TAP and nothing there. I called MP this time and was told that the ticket was "under the control of TAP" and that I needed to call them.

I call TAP, after explaining the situation (and having the agent pull up the ticket and confirming the WRONG FF number), I am told that they cannot change the FF code. She proceeds to explain, that once the flight is concluded they cannot change the FF number. I ask the agent, rather incredulously, does this mean that NO ONE can claim miles after a flight, and she was quite adamant that NO, miles are never awarded post flight if the FF is number is not already on the ticket.

So what to do? I just find it hard to believe that TAP would have such a hard rule. I know this is not a MP issue, per se, but just wondering if others have faced similar situations with MP partner airlines. I hate having orphan miles... especially nearly 5200 in Business.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Same thing

My SIL operates like this. She doesnt turn in a FF number when making reservation. then after the flight she thinks she can pick which program to use. Which involves a call to airline. sometimes it works. Sometimes not.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leiserom
My SIL operates like this. She doesnt turn in a FF number when making reservation. then after the flight she thinks she can pick which program to use. Which involves a call to airline. sometimes it works. Sometimes not.
I can understand the risk with that... but in this case the TAP system, at a minimum should have caught that the FF number entered wasn't a TAP number... you would think they would be happy to assign the miles to UAL.. unless they have to "pay" for them?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA can do nothing until TAP allows the change and approves the credit to UA MP. Changing FF post flight can happen BUT even in the best of situations it is difficult and other times impossible.

Perhaps someone in the TAP forum knows how to reach the right person-- Use the Moderator Allert to request this be moved to TAP Forum

Originally Posted by model_un
... you would think they would be happy to assign the miles to UAL.. unless they have to "pay" for them?
Doubt that is the real issue but yes TAP does "have to pay" UA
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks WineCountryUA. Looked for a TAP forum... couldn't fine. They fall under the "others" category.

I agree, changing a legitimate FF is a no-no. I mistakenly purchased a ticket via the LH website, and before I knew it the ticket was issue with my LH number. Gone... And I'm fine with that... at least they are there.

In this case, they are nowhere... not on TAP and not on UA...

That's what gets my goat.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is solely a TP issue. UA will credit whatever TP advises, but until TP does, UA won't credit anything.

TP has no incentive to debit the miles from a phantom account and then purchase the MP miles from UA.

I definitely would not bother calling TP about this. No front line person is going to be able to touch this given the fraud potential. Rather, send a short note admitting your error and asking that TP send the miles to UA. Perhaps your note lands in front of someone who wants to help and does. But, don't plan on it.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Yeah... I tried the note approach, including ticket stubs and all... got a quick response to call the customer service number... and then hit the wall... oh well. I hit 1K without the miles... and lesson learned... but it still stings... Thanks all.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

So...just a quick follow-up... I went to TAP website to make a last-ditch effort. I did some poking around Victoria programs and lo and behold of course they have a site to request past miles! Telephone agent was on something. Now... I've made my request claim TAP miles... but that is at least something...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by model_un
I agree, changing a legitimate FF is a no-no. I mistakenly purchased a ticket via the LH website, and before I knew it the ticket was issue with my LH number. Gone... And I'm fine with that... at least they are there.
It absolutely does not matter whatsoever what FQTV# you have in there when you book your ticket. You can change that any time before your flight. After the flight is when things get really tricky. Unless there is a genuine mistake by the airline(s) they are usually pretty unwilling to fix things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.