Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Updated waiver as of >14 Nov. 2018: Note added cities and extended dates:
  • Burbank, CA (BUR)
  • Los Angeles, CA (LAX)​
  • Sacramento, CA (SMF)
  • San Francisco, CA (SFO)
  • Santa Rosa, CA (STS)
​​​​​​​​​Original travel date(s):

November 9, 2018 - November 23, 2018​
Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 2, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​​​

Earlier waivers for this incident:

older waiver
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by d00little
I arrive in SFO from NRT Sunday morning, then depart to YYC at noon. What’s the forecast for Sunday. I currently like my schedule and would prefer not to change if it’s unlikely to get delayed.
SFO delays are almost always issued to flights originating from CONUS+Canada, so NRT-SFO is OK. SFO-YYC will depend on aircraft scheduling.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
That GS was for departures from ZLA ZLC ZOA ZSE only until 1730Z (0930 PST).

It's been replaced by a GDP affecting all CONUS+Canada departures arriving SFO before 2359Z (4 pm PST), average delay 57 min: https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_othe...eDate=11/11/18
Good to know, though isn't PST 7 hours behind UTC and not 8?

Anyway, UA1619 is apparently still "on schedule" according to united.com. I guess it won't actually get delayed unless the GDP gets extended past 4pm, and by then it might be too late to try to get an earlier flight. Thoughts about how likely that'll be?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Good to know, though isn't PST 7 hours behind UTC and not 8?

Anyway, UA1619 is apparently still "on schedule" according to united.com. I guess it won't actually get delayed unless the GDP gets extended past 4pm, and by then it might be too late to try to get an earlier flight. Thoughts about how likely that'll be?
PDT is UTC-7. PST is UTC-8.

The GDP is counting on the 36 arrival rate to become 45 at 21Z (1 pm). Based on the demand chart (AADC) if they can go 45 they won't need to extend the GDP. If not, they'd revise the GDP soon after 1 pm. A proposed plan is usually posted before the telcon with airlines.

Today (UTC): https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_list...%2C+11-11-2018
After 4 pm PST: Manipulate the above URL.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Because I have a 4 hour layover to run home / repack / head out again. Wanted to get in earlier to avoid surprises.

Classic HUCA and no issues changing the LH leg to reduce layover. Just seems strange as I’ve never heard that before and it took three tries

Originally Posted by docbert

Are you changing because you're worried about the smoke causing delays, or just because you want to get in earlier? The odds of FRA-SFO being delayed any more than a few minutes by the smoke are close to zero. In fact, all of todays FRA-SFO flights (2xUA, 1xLH) are scheduled to arrive around an hour early.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PDT is UTC-7. PST is UTC-8.

The GDP is counting on the 36 arrival rate to become 45 at 21Z (1 pm). Based on the demand chart (AADC) if they can go 45 they won't need to extend the GDP. If not, they'd revise the GDP soon after 1 pm. A proposed plan is usually posted before the telcon with airlines.

Today (UTC): https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_list...%2C+11-11-2018
After 4 pm PST: Manipulate the above URL.
Doh, my mistake. Thanks!

I'll check again after lunch. It seems flights are often enough that that should be enough time to change if needed. I'm mainly concerned about bumping into SAN's curphew but if the delay's kept to an hour or two for the rest of the day that probably won't be an issue.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"Southern"???
Well, some people think that the Bay Area, which is in the central part of the state, is “Northern California”...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New update here.

I'm guessing "disregard expected departure clearance time" is a good thing? Unfortunately my flight is now a bit delayed anyway due to the inbound plane being late.

Last edited by tmiw; Nov 11, 2018 at 4:35 pm Reason: fixed URL
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GFrye
Well, some people think that the Bay Area, which is in the central part of the state, is “Northern California”...
In what parlance is it not Northern California? The geography pedant society?
ajGoes and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Look at a map.
SJC is 4°38' north of SAN and 4°25’ south of CEC.
If a place is almost as close to the Mexican border as it is to the Oregon border, is it really “northern” California?
That’s like saying that Missouri is in the northern part of the contiguous United States.

Divide California into three equal parts by latitude. Which part does the Bay Area fall into?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold / BA Gold
The waiver has been extended to November 13th
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW it looks like the ground delay is back on. UA1614 and 384 (the final two SFO departures tonight from SAN) are delayed until 8:32pm.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1
The waiver has been extended to November 13th
This is starting to get too close for comfort for me. I have PDX-SFO-SIN on 15th (6am ex-PDX and UA29 10.55am to SIN). Can anyone confirm/deny that if the waiver extends to 15th that I can switch my PDX-SFO to the afternoon of 14th, or alternatively that I can SDC to an 11/14 flight after 6am that day?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I don't see why not. I changed a segment of a Nov 17 itinerary to build more connect time, and no problem at all with agent.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
This is starting to get too close for comfort for me. I have PDX-SFO-SIN on 15th (6am ex-PDX and UA29 10.55am to SIN). Can anyone confirm/deny that if the waiver extends to 15th that I can switch my PDX-SFO to the afternoon of 14th, or alternatively that I can SDC to an 11/14 flight after 6am that day?
You should be OK. There aren't enough arriving flights into SFO to cause delays before 9 am.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
You should be OK. There aren't enough arriving flights into SFO to cause delays before 9 am.
Thanks. And I checked hotel availability around SFO for the 14th and it’s terrible. So I’ll go with what I have. Even if I missed the connection there’s UA1 in the evening, plus other options via TPE (UA/BR). I have a (separate) refundable J ticket on SQ to BKK on the afternoon of 17th which I could still easily make if I were on UA1. If not I have flexibility.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.