Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DCA is a Mess! Metro closed until 13 Nov 2018 and Construction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium

Due to rainy weather and metro closing until next Tuesday DCA is an absolute mess! It's taking people hours to get in/out of the airport and reports of people crossing the GW Parkway with their luggage. Issues are expected to continue through the weekend with the metro closure.

I was booked on DCA-IAH at 1629 tomorrow and UA let me change to IAD-IAH at 1705. Whew!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I guess DCA was jealous of the LGA experience.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by wrp96
I guess DCA was jealous of the LGA experience.
Does the roof leak there too?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Due to rainy weather and metro closing until next Tuesday DCA is an absolute mess! It's taking people hours to get in/out of the airport and reports of people crossing the GW Parkway with their luggage. Issues are expected to continue through the weekend with the metro closure.

I was booked on DCA-IAH at 1629 tomorrow and UA let me change to IAD-IAH at 1705. Whew!
you forgot to mention the biggest issue, the construction that’s going on.

MWAA or whoever has totally dorked up the rideshare locations which exacerbates to traffic jams. They tried it upstairs and that didn’t work. So then they moved it back down but to the inner lane. There used to be two taxi stands, now it’s just a single one in the middle, but the rideshare is supposed to be on the outer portion of the inner lane. So the time spent waiting for your passenger to get out there, and load up, causes a jam.

A frickin mess. I love flying out of DCA because it’s only 15 minutes from home but it makes me happy that next week is my last week of work out of DCA till the end of Jan 2019.

And as a former TWA pilot, I appreciate your name. ^
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by UALPilotDC; Nov 10, 2018 at 6:09 am
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Guy

Not sure why people are crossing GW parkway. I am told there is walking path that goes over to the North end of Crystal City. Maybe people just don't know about that. Looking at Google maps - looks like it is called Mt Vernon Trail. It goes through the underpass (under GW parkway) at the main roadway entrance from the turn off to the airport.

Also you can walk across the bridge that goes to the south end of Crystal City.

Last edited by cova; Nov 9, 2018 at 5:57 pm
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by cova
Not sure why people are crossing GW parkway. I am told there is walking path that goes over to the North end of Crystal City. Maybe people just don't know about that. Looking at Google maps - looks like it is called Mt Vernon Trail. It goes through the underpass (under GW parkway) at the main roadway entrance from the turn off to the airport.

I run along that trail every week. Not really meant for people hauling bags. It would be a very indirect route to get over to Crystal City. Stick to the bridge even though that's pretty scary on a dark and rainy night with the cars whizzing by.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
DCA is a mess. I like the airport overall, and it is very convenient, but the UA gate areas are just not nice, and so few gates means a delay will lead to you sitting on the tarmac for a long time. I prefer IAD at this point honestly. More destinations, better prices usually for me, and lots of room to walk around before a flight (something I highly value).
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by cova

I don't think anyone is able to cross the GW parkway to get to Crystal City, as there would be a fence alongside the train tracks between the parkway and Crystal City. I think the OP was probably referring to the lanes coming off of the GW Parkway to the airport. I've "made that crossing" several times. But one does have to be very cautious of the traffic, as the bridge (for the GW Parkway) blocks the view of the traffic heading that way.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I don't think anyone is able to cross the GW parkway to get to Crystal City, as there would be a fence alongside the train tracks between the parkway and Crystal City. I think the OP was probably referring to the lanes coming off of the GW Parkway to the airport. I've "made that crossing" several times. But one does have to be very cautious of the traffic, as the bridge (for the GW Parkway) blocks the view of the traffic heading that way.
There is a little footpath from the airport to the VRE station. However, it’s indirect and not well lighted. The footpath goes under the rails.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Arrived last night to this nasty surprise.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Fortunately the weather is good today so the additional mess created by the rain is not an issue.

But, DCA is to be avoided at all costs until the 13th. Especially for people with more than carry-on, who are not able to walk distances and who are averse to standing in long lines and experiencing very long waits.

While I would choose IAD/BWI for this weekend, in general and even with the construction, DCA is far preferable. With no checked bags and Pre-Check, it is rare for me to have more than 10 minutes from being dropped off to the gate and even the construction traffic doesn't generally add more than 2-3 minutes to the ride. If there is a traffic backup headed to departures, there is always a cut off around the old historic terminal which dumps you into the arrivals lanes. Adds a minute for the elevator up to departures and you are all set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.