Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report upgrade laziness or MYOB?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by fastair
Such as what I wrote upthread (post number 8 at 20:00 central time) as the likely reason. I'm a perfectionist, I don't make mistakes at work. Even I made this one this year. Far from lazy too. If they've gotten out of bed, come in to work, no one is too lazy to press the mouse button once.
Thanks for bringing this conversation back to earth. It's so easy to dismiss front-line workers as "lazy" or say that they "lied", when in fact there are hundreds of complications the customer can't see behind the scenes, time pressure, plus ordinary variety human error. And yes, among the thousands of United GAs I'm sure a few are actually lazy or mean. But the far more likely explanation is it was an understandable and rare mistake.

There are some safety-related errors you'd like to see brought down to 0%, but for minor customer-service errors at some point there are steep diminishing returns for investments/procedures that would bring the error rate down to less than 0.5% or so. If a GA makes this mistake once every 200 flights, I'm probably ok with the tradeoff compared to the costs involved in getting the error rate lower.

Obviously sucks for the person who missed the upgrade (and the advice to ask GA/FA politely if it looks like a mistake has been made is good advice), but sometimes people on this board act like they've never made a minor mistake at work.
geckoflyer likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
The correct way to manage this situation is to page a flight attendant, claim you are #1 on the upgrade list, and take the seat.

Ok really if I was on the flight I would point out to a flight attendant that the upgrade queue hasn't processed and they should find SMI, J and give him his seat, but the first one sounds like more fun.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:20 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Not period. When you buy Y and have elite status, you are also entitled to your elite benefits, which include CPU.

That said, to answer the OP’s question, I can’t imagine that a complaint to UA would result in anything, especially if the OP wasn’t the #1 on the upgrade list.

i agree we should demand the best and not settle for mediocrity but i'm just saying what i tell myself whenever this sort of thing happens to me. because legally speaking, y = y, anything else is gravy. and tbh if i used a gpu on iah-syd and i was #1 and i knew for a fact there was an open seat...ughhh

that said with your second point i disagree, yes op would get nothing tangible except for hope that this can make this large complex organization ensures its front line employees follow procedure. i'd do it; four sentence email while you're seething during taxi lol. better to say something on a machine than do nothing imo

Originally Posted by fastair
Realize too, that the final paperwork. that is presented to the flight attendant also includes the next few names off the upgrade list, along with their seats, in order, to rectify when this happens (someone doesn't board in F and an open seat is still there at closure time.)
having known a few FAs with a majort network carrier similar to united, the SOP was that cabin crew were to never ever upgrade after boarding except in extraordinary circumstances such as after the door closes there is 1 open j seat and they discover 1 irrop economy seat.

Last edited by cur; Nov 1, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by chuck1
Such as?
Such as GA was working hard but merely forgot; was otherwise occupied; was attending to a safety concern; stuck dealing with a faulty entry door to the jet-bridge; got distracted; had computer that wasn't working; was out of paper to print new boarding passes; dealing with a connecting pax that didn't make it and became last-second offload; everything @fastair noted, etc...

All of those potential circumstances don't necessarily entail 'laziness.'
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by cur
that said with your second point i disagree, yes op would get nothing tangible except for hope that this can make this large complex organization ensures its front line employees follow procedure. i'd do it; four sentence email while you're seething during taxi lol. better to say something on a machine than do nothing imo
What would you write? Maybe...

"As a long time member of the Flyertalk United forum (link to my profile to verify credentials) I am a trained and certified expert in all procedures used by UA baggage handlers, gate agents, flight attendants and pilots. On a recent flight, UAxxxx from XYZ to ABC, I observed from my seat that another first class seat remained unassigned. It was of course my duty to verify that there were still passengers on the wait list for First Class upgrades. The only possible explanation for this scenario is that the gate agent was either lazy or poorly trained, so I wanted to make sure you are aware of this problem and take action."

iluv2fly and physioprof like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.