Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Match my current 1K to top tier status anyhwere?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Dear FTalkers,

I'm starting to realize that I will not be able re-qualify to 1K this year, mainly due to re-org in my company and less travel scheduled, therefore, I'm looking to venture outside of UA for next year - assuming I'll be able to get (or close to) top tier status elsewhere.
Are you aware of any airlines (beside AS), that will allow me to match my current 1K status for status or challenge that goes through 2019?
Does UA offer "soft landing" from 1K? or will I just get the status I qualify to this year?

Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Delta and AA do status match 1K. No soft landing on United as far as I can tell.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by expressboy
Delta and AA do status match 1K. No soft landing on United as far as I can tell.
DL matches 1K to Plat. AA may match to EXP. No soft landings with UA.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Kacee
AA may match to EXP.
Nope. Challenge only.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Nope. Challenge only.

It is case by case, they matched me to to EXP and gave me the status immediately, after I sent in my previous years status pages from United. I had to do like 35K EQM and $5000 EQD in 30 days or some number. I don't remember because I had a Int'l J ticket to book and basically knocked it out with one flight.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL matches 1K to Plat. AA may match to EXP. No soft landings with UA.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Nope. Challenge only.
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
It is case by case, they matched me to to EXP and gave me the status immediately, after I sent in my previous years status pages from United. I had to do like 35K EQM and $5000 EQD in 30 days or some number. I don't remember because I had a Int'l J ticket to book and basically knocked it out with one flight.
Isn't that a challenge?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Isn't that a challenge?

No, AA has a set challenge page ANYONE can go do, you pay them money and meet the requirements and BAM - status - you can even pay extra to get the status upfront
That all ends at the tier below EXP

In order to get EXP you have to call in, send them the required documents showing your previous yearly spend and MQM's then if you qualify for the status match, you get matched immediately and have 90 days to do the miles and dollars It is also 100% free
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

No, AA has a set challenge page ANYONE can go do, you pay them money and meet the requirements and BAM - status - you can even pay extra to get the status upfront

In order to get EXP you have to call in, send them the required documents showing your previous yearly spend and MQM's then if you qualify for the status match, you get matched immediately and have 90 days to do the miles and dollars It is also 100% free
Can you please provide the number I need to call in order to do so?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Can you please provide the number I need to call in order to do so?

I just called the AAdvantage desk, no special number. I just used the app - contact us - addvantage helpdesk

1-800-848-4653

I got an email form to fill out after I spoke to the agent
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Isn't that a challenge?
All three legacies do hybrids, which are commonly referred to as "matches" because you get the status during the challenge period (unlike a true challenge, where you don't get status until you've completed the challenge).
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Hipple, you did do a challenge. AA has more than one, and you got the top tier to top tier one. I did it years ago from UA to AA, and something similar from UA to Delta. Same thing - temporary match with a heavy PQM requirement to sustain. I don't think the dollar component was in it, but that is a relatively new requirement for US frequent flyer programs.

The other challenge isn't really a status match but just a much shorter runway to get status. That's a good method if you have some paid J or C flights coming up, since you can pretty much make status instantly.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All three legacies do hybrids, which are commonly referred to as "matches" because you get the status during the challenge period (unlike a true challenge, where you don't get status until you've completed the challenge).
OK, fair enough if it's not the word commonly used. That said, a rose by any other word.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:52 pm

OK, fair enough if it's not the word commonly used. That said, a rose by any other word.
It's sloppy terminology, I agree. But an example of a pure "challenge" would be the old SPG and Marriott challenges where you didn't get the elevated status until you met the terms.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
AA matched my 1K to Plat earlier this month (free corporate match). I asked in July and was told it will be till 1/2019 only. After october 1 - the match was till 1/2020
I was denied EXP match or challenge - they replied back saying it has to be earned only.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
I'm starting to realize that I will not be able re-qualify to 1K this year, mainly due to re-org in my company and less travel scheduled, therefore, I'm looking to venture outside of UA for next year - assuming I'll be able to get (or close to) top tier status elsewhere.
The grass in not always greener on the other side

If any one of major USA ffp's was very easy to get status more of the XXX frequent flyers would be leaving to join ZZZ ffp

What is your flying pattern?
What are your expectations from a ffp?
Do you earn ff miles from frequent spending? (credit cards)

The grass in not always greener on the other side

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.