Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

16OCT18 UA5277 ORD-CHA diverted due to CHA ground ops

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

What a bizarre story. Anyone have any guesses/answers?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Painful --

Fallon and another passenger on the plane said there was a last-minute aircraft swap, from one type of regional jet to another due to a mechanical issue, which changed their seat assignments but didn't delay the flight.

Fallon and passenger Jill Lohsen recall the pilot saying the plane, a 76-seat Embraer 175, was "too large'' to land in Chattanooga.

Flight 5277 landed back in Chicago at 4:29 p.m. and passengers were greeted with Cheez-Its, pretzels and water, and a new flight scheduled to leave within the hour.

Passengers were put on a 50-seat Bombardier CRJ 200, which United typically uses on the flight. Passengers finally arrived at the gate in Chattanooga just before 8:30 p.m. local time, more than three hours late.
-- getting a late up-gauge to E175, then having to turn around and stuff back into a CR2. Not worth $300 ETC + refund!
Miggles and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I'm baffled
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
I find it incredible there wasn't some sort of computer check to make sure an aircraft can fly into a given airport
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:03 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Reminds me of UA's loss of CLD when they retired the EMB-120s, and CLD didn't extend their runway... and thus couldn't support any of the remaining UX aircraft.

Originally Posted by GNVFlyer
I find it incredible there wasn't some sort of computer check to make sure an aircraft can fly into a given airport
The airport is perfectly capable of handling this plane, and much larger. The actual reason for the rejected arrival is unclear. It might be that there were not enough ground employees to handle the larger plane, per union rules. Or that the employees on duty hadn't trained on that plane, etc.

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
" SkyWest spokeswoman Marissa Snow did not provide any other details, saying only that the 76-seat Embraer aircraft used on the first flight to Chattanooga was "just a different aircraft than typical for ground personnel there.'' "

That makes more sense, as the 175 definitely isn't too big.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
The better question is why/how did they not figure out a better solution like borrowing equipment from another airport user. To avoiding having to ask that embarrassing question or some union issue? No way this method wouldn’t have been cheaper and easier.
Delta Runs MD88...Shoot FedEx has a 757 departing in a few hours. I’m going to stick with my original two theories.
Mountain Explorer likes this.

Last edited by ucfjoe; Oct 22, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
On another board, the speculated reason for this diversion is that CHA lacked a towbar to fit the E175. So it could land fine, but just not be pushed back for the return flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by seenitall
On another board, the speculated reason for this diversion is that CHA lacked a towbar to fit the E175. So it could land fine, but just not be pushed back for the return flight.
But even if so, couldn't someone come up with a creative solution such as deplaning at a remote stand or some other area of the airport where the aircraft can just taxi out on it's own?

Weird situation for sure.
Miggles likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:58 pm

Surely they must have some rolling stairs. That's awful if they diverted for that
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
My money is on this. I don't see any scheduled E75 flights to CHA and a towbar is about the only airplane-specific item that comes to mind under these circumstances.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If that was the issue, wonder why the option of flying in an E175 towbar on the next available flight (from any hub to CHA -- perhaps any carrier) was not selected? Would not that have been less distributive?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If that was the issue, wonder why the option of flying in an E175 towbar on the next available flight (from any hub to CHA -- perhaps any carrier) was not selected? Would not that have been less distributive?
Tow bar wont fit in Devil's Chariot?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by exerda
Reminds me of UA's loss of CLD when they retired the EMB-120s, and CLD didn't extend their runway... and thus couldn't support any of the remaining UX aircraft.
Do you mean CRQ, as in Palomar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.