Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Unfortunately, partner route discontinuances can happen and this presents a difficult situation. Note we are not talking about day-of-travel cancellations but rather schedule changes where service is no longer offered on the preferred day of travel.

If a partner cancels and UA can not get you there on UA-operated flights, the most common outcome is a refund.
But first, try to see if you can find alternative partners to get you there (including alternative dates), UA will re-book you but if there is a fare / mileage difference you may be responsible for that
UA can not force award space on partner flights but will on UA operated flights (even if you change partner flights)

The reality is there is no obligation to find a solution but UA agents are generally very willing to be creative (within the rules)

If when looking at alternative options, no award space is available, one can check if UA will contact the partner (via UA's partner liaison) and request new space. This is rarely successful and reports of success would be appreciated.
Print Wikipost

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Force951
I had an award ticket booked to leave on 11/26 in business class LAX-ZRH-MUC. However it appears that longhaul was canceled, and so they rebooked me on 11/27. I don't want to lose the day of vacation so is there any chance i can get them to book me on united metal for the same partner cost, or will i have to either find a flight with availability on partners or pony up the extra miles?
You will need to call but UA will generally reroute on UA metal a partner cancellation with no additional miles regardless of award availability and if there is award availability it may be cheaper.

Note there have been a large number of other travellers impact by LH schedule changes. It would seem UA is having to do a lot of this, hope it does not change UA's practice.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Dropping a segment can be doable but need an experienced agent working with LX -- as changing the origin will cause a ticket re-issue, which LX can refuse if not involved.
Getting LX to open new / different award space is not likely to happen.
Indeed. That can be hit and miss. Usually you can tell pretty quickly if an agent knows what they are doing. I had them recently re-do an award on LX where things got messed up ... to 45 mins but all good in the end.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have a United business class saver award
AUS-ORD United
ORD-WAW-DEL Lot Polish
DEL-MAA Air India

Just received an email from LOT saying that the WAW-DEL flight got cancelled and looks like they cancelled that route until January.
Did not get any email from UA yet.

There are no saver awards available but full mileage awards available. AUS-ORD/EWR-DEL/BOM (UA) and DEL/BOM-MAA (Air India or Vistara)

What is my course of action? Will United rebook in one of these UA metal?
Also, if I ask them to rebook, will I be able to ask for a stopover in BOM for a day or at least have a later flight within 24 hours that I see available when searched as individual segment but not offered as a full route?

I have a month for travel. Should I call sooner (now) or closer to departure date?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcdude
I have a United business class saver award
AUS-ORD United
ORD-WAW-DEL Lot Polish
DEL-MAA Air India

Just received an email from LOT saying that the WAW-DEL flight got cancelled and looks like they cancelled that route until January.
Did not get any email from UA yet.

There are no saver awards available but full mileage awards available. AUS-ORD/EWR-DEL/BOM (UA) and DEL/BOM-MAA (Air India or Vistara)

What is my course of action? Will United rebook in one of these UA metal?
Yes, you should be able to get UA to rebook you as soon as the cancellation has shown up in your reservation. (UA may or may not send an email). They will not allow you to change based upon a note from LOT.

Also, if I ask them to rebook, will I be able to ask for a stopover in BOM for a day
You could ask, but there's no specific rule that would cover this.

or at least have a later flight within 24 hours that I see available when searched as individual segment but not offered as a full route?
Generally, UA will only offer itineraries that appear during a full one-way search from origin to destination. Getting them to select an alternate segment would fall under the same YMMV "you can ask" as getting a stopover.

I have a month for travel. Should I call sooner (now) or closer to departure date?
I would call as soon as the update appears on your itinerary, especially since UA doesn't fly to MAA. If Air India and Vistara were to run out of award inventory, you'd be out of luck.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:32 pm

My spouse and daughter have an economy award itinerary for SVQ-LAX later this month, on TP and SK flights. We were informed today of a schedule change and the new proposed itinerary departs a day earlier than originally booked, increasing the travel time from 17:45 to 32:25 and includes an overnight connection, presumably at our expense.

Since it's the weekend after US Thanksgiving and relatively short notice, there aren't many TATL options now on partners. I contacted UA via twitter DM today requesting to change to a TP flight SVQ-LIS, connecting to United metal LIS-EWR-LAX. The twitter agent says that the SVQ-LIS leg isn't available for award travel, but on united.com and expert flyer it shows X / Saver availability for two passengers for this flight. Does TP have an issue with ghost inventory, and if so, any idea where I can find more accurate inventory?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by princeville
... I contacted UA via twitter DM today requesting to change to a TP flight SVQ-LIS, connecting to United metal LIS-EWR-LAX. The twitter agent says that the SVQ-LIS leg isn't available for award travel, but on united.com and expert flyer it shows X / Saver availability for two passengers for this flight. Does TP have an issue with ghost inventory, and if so, any idea where I can find more accurate inventory?
There may be a different issue, does LIS-EWR-LAX have award space? Does the SVQ-LIS-EWR-LAX option show up? (guessing not)

The UA.com is the best location for checking from the award space (and you and the agent should see the same inventory) but if the agent is checking SVQ-LAX it will probably fail. This will require UA to open space on the UA flights.

Did the agent sat they saw the space but it wasn't bookable>

I suggest trying again and perhaps calling to make sure you and the agent are on the same page. Specifically, discuss the need to open space on the UA flights because of the partner cancellation.

This is not a normal flight change and requires supervisor approval to open the UA lights.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2021 at 10:46 pm Reason: SVQ
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:07 pm

There may be a different issue, does LIS-EWR-LAX have award space? Does the SQV-LIS-EWR-LAX option show up? (guessing not)

The UA.com is the best location for checking from the award space (and you and the agent should see the same inventory) but if the agent is checking SQV-LAX it will probably fail. This will require UA to open space on the UA flights.

Did the agent sat they saw the space but it wasn't bookable>

I suggest trying again and perhaps calling to make sure you and the agent are on the same page. Specifically, discuss the need to open space on the UA flights because of the partner cancellation.

This is not a normal flight change and requires supervisor approval to open the UA lights.
Thanks for the response. UA.com does suggest this exact itinerary when I search for two awards SVQ-LAX on that date, but only YN inventory for the LIS-EWR-LAX legs. I did mention opening award space on the UA flights due to the significant schedule change and spoonfed the flight numbers. The agent didn't say if they saw the space, just repeated that the SVQ-LIS flight wasn't available to book when I mentioned that I could see X inventory for that leg and asked why it couldn't be booked. I've always had great luck with twitter agents, but it looks like I'll need to try calling.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
There may be a different issue, does LIS-EWR-LAX have award space? Does the SQV-LIS-EWR-LAX option show up? (guessing not)
That’s a pretty complicated route to get from Sequim, Washington, to LAX. Mileage run?
Xyzzy and princeville like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the response. UA.com does suggest this exact itinerary when I search for two awards SVQ-LAX on that date, but only YN inventory for the LIS-EWR-LAX legs. I did mention opening award space on the UA flights due to the significant schedule change and spoonfed the flight numbers. The agent didn't say if they saw the space, just repeated that the SVQ-LIS flight wasn't available to book when I mentioned that I could see X inventory for that leg and asked why it couldn't be booked. I've always had great luck with twitter agents, but it looks like I'll need to try calling.
Seville-Madrid is 2h30 by train. Get a UA-op flight from MAD? They can definitely do that.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Seville-Madrid is 2h30 by train. Get a UA-op flight from MAD? They can definitely do that.
We wouldn't be opposed to getting ourselves to MAD or another city served by UA, but would they allow a change of origin in this situation?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We wouldn't be opposed to getting ourselves to MAD or another city served by UA, but would they allow a change of origin in this situation?
yes, that is generally speaking not an issue as long at it is a 'logical' city like MAD. Getting a free change to LHR and hoping for an even exchange won't fly
jsloan and princeville like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I have a UA award that involves UA HI-ORD Saver F, then OS ORD-VIE-BEG, in Saver C. With the lockdown in Austria, I am concerned that OS will stop operating ORD-VIE, or at the very least the connecting VIE-BEG.

In this scenario, what is the best approach? I'd prefer not to lose my Saver C flight, as I'm flying from HI and being stuck in Y that length is a killer. Would I be able to beg UA to open UA C space on some kind of EU flight, and then Y it to BEG (BEG has LH, LX, OS and TK). Sounds stressful and keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
I have a UA award that involves UA HI-ORD Saver F, then OS ORD-VIE-BEG, in Saver C. With the lockdown in Austria, I am concerned that OS will stop operating ORD-VIE, or at the very least the connecting VIE-BEG.

In this scenario, what is the best approach? I'd prefer not to lose my Saver C flight, as I'm flying from HI and being stuck in Y that length is a killer. Would I be able to beg UA to open UA C space on some kind of EU flight, and then Y it to BEG (BEG has LH, LX, OS and TK). Sounds stressful and keeping my fingers crossed.
Congrats for finding and booking I/IN HI-ORD! That's tough! If OS no longer flies ORD-VIE then UA will put you on UA metal to FRA/MUC/ZRH most likely with a connection to BEG ... should not be an issue. UA can open inventory on UA metal flights assuming there are seats for sale,
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by cfischer
Congrats for finding and booking I/IN HI-ORD! That's tough! If OS no longer flies ORD-VIE then UA will put you on UA metal to FRA/MUC/ZRH most likely with a connection to BEG ... should not be an issue. UA can open inventory on UA metal flights assuming there are seats for sale,
Ah.. I have to admit I didn't find HNL-ORD in I. I had a HNL-SFO flight, with a connecting SFO-ZRH flight on LX that got canceled. They rebooked me HNL-ORD in Y, which I refused.. after a fight they opened it up. So I can't take credit!

Does the system automatically rebook me on UA metal?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Ah.. I have to admit I didn't find HNL-ORD in I. I had a HNL-SFO flight, with a connecting SFO-ZRH flight on LX that got canceled. They rebooked me HNL-ORD in Y, which I refused.. after a fight they opened it up. So I can't take credit!

Does the system automatically rebook me on UA metal?
No, the system generally does not when partner flights are involved. When you call UA they can find you HI-EU flights on UA metal and then hopefully an X or I on a partner to your final destination. If the last segment is available there is no reason why UA can't do this. Might need HUCA.
MDTyKe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.